HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:29 PM

Those sharp corners are still the wrong colour. Maybe if your a Cowboy fan they're OK.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:36 PM
Ignore these four words.

Yeah, I don't believe that's the finished product.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:19 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
What, no one commented on my remark that the "corners look sharp". You know, 90 degree angles making them sharp and that looking sharp also means looking good.

It's a play on words.......comedic gold right there

Tough crowd
I got it Biff.

No need to be edgy on the details.

To be fair though, I'll make sure I'll point them out next time.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Those sharp corners are still the wrong colour. Maybe if your a Cowboy fan they're OK.
Drove by today. Nothing installed yet. That's just the colour of the underlying insulation.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Come to think of it, and as you alluded to earlier, there certainly are going to be a bunch of new residents in larger bursts...not just from 300 main but also the apartment (condo?) tower at TNS, plus the recent additions in 300 main, Glasshouse, and eventually d condo...the smaller/non-high rise developments aside, this is quite the influx of people over a few years. If skycity goes forward, that too. Anecdotal (and thus not strong or even weak evidence in any way) but I know a few people who got units in Glasshouse who would love to stay downtown should things like grocers come downtown, but would otherwise leave.

I find the day care is interesting. Are there any downtown currently? Any near the P&M area? This could really sway young couples, and office workers as well who may be able to drop their young kids off while they work in the area.
Daycare was one of those things that Armin Martens stressed the most at any opportunity. He and Artis seem to be very big on simply giving tenants everything they could want to live or work on that P+M block.

Winnipeg always used to do the opposite... since it's a testy market developers/tenants/etc would try to give as little as possible to not lose money... Artis is trying really hard to provide amenities that provide cash flow (and some that don't) AND draw people to their properties. Considering the demand for subsidized daycare, I'm surprised more aren't popping up. Having one at the foot of your residential tower (and close to 360) is a home run idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
OKay jeez. Here you go! haha

Seems to me they're moving rather quickly with this half of the work compared to the first half.
Last years they only started mid April... in addition to having momentum they've been at it probably 1 month earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Nobody is a cowboys fan

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:53 PM
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Drove by today. Nothing installed yet. That's just the colour of the underlying insulation.
Here's the real corner look from this morning.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 11:22 PM

^^ Excellent! Thanks Kirk. I like it!

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 12:06 AM
BANNED

Thank God, I was concerned lol

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There are several daycares downtown, but demand exceeds supply, at least for the non-profit (subsidized) spaces.

I'm not sure how many non-subsidized daycares there are downtown, but the somewhat new Kids & Company, which is part of a national chain, is the most prominent one I can think of (York at Fort). I could see a new P&M daycare really taking a bite out of their business given that it would be closer to the largest critical mass of employers, and the skywalk connection might be a plus for some. I suspect this will be quite popular among families where parents live and/or work downtown.
Thanks, this is good to know - I didn't realize there were that many daycares in the downtown area, though I suppose I should have guessed better since it makes sense. Sounds like this daycare should it come to fruition will be a very good thing.

Quote:
So a 45' difference between 300 Main and 201 Portage. For reference, 201 Portage is (according to the diagrams page, anyway) 36' taller than 360 Main, and I find that I have to squint to notice the difference between the two. So perhaps the extra 9' might make the status of 300 Main as the tallest slightly more obvious.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I posted a pic of comparably sized towers that were side by side (many pages back) because I was curious as to what such a height difference would look like and it is not immiediately significant - that said, theres a few things though that could make 300 main stand out more, and perhaps make it more prominent in it's height. Just my own, subjective thoughts here:

1) 201 portage is really only at it's tallest where the glass portion stands out, which feels more like a small extra rectangular part of the building randomly sticking out, whereas most of the building seems to be "on par" with 360 main giving it further illusion of a more equivalent height than a different one.

2) The more isolated and skinny appearance of 300 main might make it stand out more, appear taller

3) Different parts of downtown seem to be ever so slightly more or less elevated which lets some buildings stand out more than others....I feel like 300 main might be able to stand out more from certain angles...there should be a generally discernible difference between ~117m vs ~142m (or ~384 ft vs ~465ft) when they're side by side vs. 201 portage and 300 main.

Some angles like this one it should look much more prominent

Whereas here this is what I meant about the "sticking out part" of 201 portage vs rest of building vs 360 main

If you can imagine where the corner of the brown building on the right is, I think thats about where 300 main will probably top out (relative tot his view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
What, no one commented on my remark that the "corners look sharp". You know, 90 degree angles making them sharp and that looking sharp also means looking good.

It's a play on words.......comedic gold right there

Tough crowd
Quote:
^ Quality dad joke 10/10
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Daycare was one of those things that Armin Martens stressed the most at any opportunity. He and Artis seem to be very big on simply giving tenants everything they could want to live or work on that P+M block.

Winnipeg always used to do the opposite... since it's a testy market developers/tenants/etc would try to give as little as possible to not lose money... Artis is trying really hard to provide amenities that provide cash flow (and some that don't) AND draw people to their properties. Considering the demand for subsidized daycare, I'm surprised more aren't popping up. Having one at the foot of your residential tower (and close to 360) is a home run idea.
This is very good to know. Really puts into perspective that Artis is trying their best to make this as impactful as possible. I wonder if this development becomes a huge success,then Artis might be open to more residential towers of this calibre in the not too distant future....

Quote:
Nobody is a cowboys fan

Last edited by roccerfeller; May 20, 2017 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 1:33 PM

Thank goodness the corners are blue.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Urban Recluse would have blown a gasket

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Appears they won't just be blue - it'll be whatever colour the adjacent horizontal lines are to make it uniform all around (ie, there will be black corner pieces as well).

Also, on the black lines, I have a feeling that when the centre phase gets done, it appears there will be a lot of black in it - so this will likely tie them together and look much better when the whole project is complete.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Urban Recluse would have blown a gasket
LOL, so true.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Appears they won't just be blue - it'll be whatever colour the adjacent horizontal lines are to make it uniform all around (ie, there will be black corner pieces as well).

Also, on the black lines, I have a feeling that when the centre phase gets done, it appears there will be a lot of black in it - so this will likely tie them together and look much better when the whole project is complete.
Ya, blue, black, whatever it is. Just not the silver colour that's on the round columns at the bottom.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:05 PM

Yeah - I think it's actually going to make the building look a bit bigger as it won't be "divided" into chunks by the opaque vertical lines. Good choice.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:43 PM

Not a shot at anyone, really, but I looooove how paranoid everyone was that the corners would stay brown, or once pramed that they would be silver, etc when the rederings gave no such indication hahaha.

Make no mistake I'd be pissed if they screwed this up lol.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:38 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Not a shot at anyone, really, but I looooove how paranoid everyone was that the corners would stay brown, or once pramed that they would be silver, etc when the rederings gave no such indication hahaha.

Make no mistake I'd be pissed if they screwed this up lol.
Right?

It's not even in it's final form anyway.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 8:48 PM

f

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegaholic View Post
f
Use this thread to try/test any posting features.
>>>> Tests

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:05 PM

Couple screen grabs from the dash cam from last week showing progress. Sorry for slight fisheye effect, had the pano setting enabled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan