HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:09 PM

For those who want to take a look at the inside of the new arena in Edmundston, they moved the camera indoors.

http://edmundston.ca/fr/notre-ville/amphitheatre

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:54 PM

Long needed bridge replacement, the one lane brown bridge in Bathurst will be replaced. At exit 311 on highway 11, the bridge is on the most direct access road from the highway to the hospital. The way thing are said, looks like they will close it to traffic for the lenght of the time to replace it, i dont think a temporary bridge would fit, just due to the nearby properties and the landscape. Bridge was built in 1915.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 12:46 AM

Some more news for Bathurst, construction going good at both malls, the old Brasserie o St-Pierre is no more litterally, that space has been demolished completely.

A new kids clothing store to open behind mcdonalds, looks like things are in the works. Also something afoot in the old liquor store, a space for rent sign has been taken down and a dumpster has appeared but no clue what is going there.

Also the old Chaleur mall land has been sold to a native band that is not in the region, the local band is not happy with this. I see a truck stop poping up there but with the local band protesting it, things could get interesting.

Lakeview inn is being re-branded Quality inn, coming with a 2 million dollars in renovations under new management.

Also, good finds in the Bathurst mining camp, they are playing Minecraft in the woods and apparently finding some large deposits which could spur additional mines.

Good for the area, just wish we could grow away from the mining a bit, its good money, but everyone is counting so much on it that im scared they just do like with the Brunswick and all tho they said they prepared fo the closure, they where not proactive enought and the area got hit hard economically.

Last edited by theshark; Apr 3, 2017 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Some more news for Bathurst, construction going good at both malls, the old Brasserie o St-Pierre is no more litterally, that space has been demolished completely.

A new kids clothing store to open behind mcdonalds, looks like things are in the works. Also something afoot in the old liquor store, a space for rent sign has been taken down and a dumpster has appeared but no clue what is going there.

Also the old Chaleur mall land has been sold to a native band that is not in the region, the local band is not happy with this. I see a truck stop poping up there but with the local band protesting it, things could get interesting.

Lakeview inn is being re-branded Quality inn, coming with a 2 million dollars in renovations under new management.

Also, good finds in the Bathurst mining camp, they are playing Minecraft in the woods and apparently finding some large deposits which could spur additional mines.

Good for the area, just wish we could grow away from the mining a bit, its good money, but everyone is counting so much on it that im scared they just do like with the Brunswick and all tho they said they prepared fo the closure, they where not proactive enought and the area got hit hard economically.
All good news for Bathurst, and Northern NB as a whole
I will agree with you on the Mining it seems they are trying to stick with that, and nothing else once Mining slows, or stops completely it will hit Bathurst hard if they don't enter another industry to keep Bathurst going after the Mines run dry, or the cost of mining becomes to high.

Glad to see the old Chaleur mall land being sold off but agree with you that I could see protest from the local band since it's "Outsiders" purchasing the land the money made will potentially be leaving the Bathurst area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I will agree with you on the Mining it seems they are trying to stick with that, and nothing else once Mining slows, or stops completely it will hit Bathurst hard if they don't enter another industry to keep Bathurst going after the Mines run dry, or the cost of mining becomes to high.

Glad to see the old Chaleur mall land being sold off but agree with you that I could see protest from the local band since it's "Outsiders" purchasing the land the money made will potentially be leaving the Bathurst area.
I believe the idea with that land was to purchase it, but lease it out locally.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post

The idea of boosting existing traditional industries really isn't that productive IMO. The Sisson Mine is another example of this.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:45 AM

A big piece of property was recently sold on Vanier blvd in Bathurst, it had been advertised for sale for a few year, goes from rte 11 to the city limits in South Tetagouche on the opposite side of the Tim's. I estimate it has to be close to 35-40 acres. Its a high traffic area with the ramps, Tim's nearby and route 180.

The sign says 56 acres

Last edited by theshark; Apr 5, 2017 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:27 PM

Some news from Bathurst!

Something definately afoot in the old liquor store, they punched out windows in the space that was for rent and obvious renovations going on.

Petro/Robbin's donut on old mill parking lot, lot is fenced off, no work as of yesterday but lots is fenced off.

Rossy has oppened in the Bathurst Mall, bringning good foot traffic back to the mall, Yellow shoes has also opened, work continues on the Renos for other stores and some shuffling.

Work still ongoing at the Supermall, facade for Giant Tiger has been revealed and it looks like they are still gutting the rest of the mall for other tenants.

Bootlegger has opened downtown, looks like a nice place to drink a craft beer and watch a game.

Still no confirmations on some large pieces of land sold in the last few months, only one I can think of is the one behind Lounsbury chev dealer that will become appartments Built by Madisco appartments, 52 units in single story appartment strips.

Work has also started at the Bathurst airport on the two projects of the runway expansion and terminal expansion.

Slowly getting better!

Last edited by theshark; May 2, 2017 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:50 PM

Thai zone to open a restaurant in Edmundston in the centre Brunswick in 2-3 months.

http://www.infoweekend.ca/actualites...-dici-lautomne

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:57 PM

Little drive down to the 'Chi today, Northumberland mall transformation to strip mall is done, a foundation has been poored for pad 3, not sure of what is going there.

Land has also been leveled next to the cinema, where the Harveys/Swiss Chalet sign is, wonder if they found a franchisee.

And for Bathurst, a large garbage bin has appeared in front of where the old Napa was, seems like there could be work going on inside.

Also looks like the space in the old liquor store will have something to do with Uni financial as a banner has appeared on the building.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:39 AM

Hart will set up shop in part of the old Zellers in Campbellton (https://www.acadienouvelle.com/actua...-main-doeuvre/) also the city gathered much negative attention in the last few days over the food truck fiasco where the city charges 500 bucks an hour for a food truck to set up, so $5000 for a 10 hour day, thats a lot for a truck!

In comparison, Edmundston will do a trial for food trucks in town for the summer, 2 days a week, Monday and Tuesday, one day at the marina Fraser and another at place de l'hotel de ville, with space for 4 trucks and for $250 buck for the whole season!!

I understand that you have to protect the establishments in your town and Campbellton charges a high price for the trucks in order to do this.

On the other hand, Edmundston also wants to protect its local restaurants, but also wants food trucks to roam the streets. So they looked at it further and found out that Monday and Tuesday are the days there are more closed restaurants in town, so they will give it a shot on those days, which i think is smart. They are also looking for trucks with different style of food that will not be in direct competition with local restaurants. Most of these trucks buy local products so it brings money to other merchants also. If it works, i see that they could put more days next summer.

Last edited by theshark; May 31, 2017 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 1:40 PM

It also appears that dad's submarine and mom's chicken will be part of the new Petro-Canada and Robin's donut on the site of the staff parking on the old mill site in Bathurst. Construction to begin in June and opening to be in September.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 10:11 PM

The old Aliant/Minacs building downtown Bathurst would apparently be rented soon. Wife received email at work not to park in the building's parking lot anymore at the back since it has been rented. No work seems to be going on inside the building as of yet.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 7:26 PM

Just saw a thai zone trailer parked in front of the old vogue optical location next to pizza delight in Bathurst. Last year it was parked in Edmundston and they are now getting a full restaurant, wonder if they are testing the market in Bathurst since a franchise is available on their website.

Exciting times for the restauration and retail sector in the city, would be nice if the manufacturing sector would pick up to create more jobs!

Last edited by theshark; Jun 5, 2017 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Just saw a thai zone trailer parked in front of the old vogue optical location next to pizza delight in Bathurst. Last year it was parked in Edmundston and they are now getting a full restaurant, wonder if they are testing the market in Bathurst since a franchise is available on their website.

Exciting times for the restauration and retail sector in the city, would be nice if the manufacturing sector would pick up to create more jobs!
I wonder if they are just testing the market. Nice to see these chains expanding!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:34 PM

With all the new developments in town, we will soon be running out of suitable space for rent for restaurants and store, somebody better get building soon!!

Boston pizza is actively looking for someone to take the franchise for Bathurst, they are running adds in the paper. Would be a nice addition to the city

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:00 PM

Looks like the old toyota dealership downtown Bathurst is not going to stay idle for long. Four rivers brewing company plans to set up a micro brewery at that location, complete with tasting room. Looks like this one will open over the winter according to their Facebook page

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Seems like Bathurst is doing quite well (given the depressed economy of the north).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:20 PM

I will tell you its kind of a weird time, several developments are ongoing in the city, stores and restaurants opening, for lease signs disappearing off buildings, real estate agents selling 4-5 houses per week, looking for sellers since they have buyers for certain price range and no houses to show them, large parcels of land being sold in prime commercial areas.

But other than good news in the mining sector, no other big announcements explaining this resurgence in the economic sector of the region.

So i wonder whats going on, not that I'm complaining, but something has to be pushing this little economic boom.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
I will tell you its kind of a weird time, several developments are ongoing in the city, stores and restaurants opening, for lease signs disappearing off buildings, real estate agents selling 4-5 houses per week, looking for sellers since they have buyers for certain price range and no houses to show them, large parcels of land being sold in prime commercial areas.

But other than good news in the mining sector, no other big announcements explaining this resurgence in the economic sector of the region.

So i wonder whats going on, not that I'm complaining, but something has to be pushing this little economic boom.
I'm Thinking it might have something to do with NBers who left coming back, and also the Albertan's, and Ontarian's who followed. Talked to a friend of mine who works for Rogers, and he told me most New install accounts he's been setting up when asking for ID majority would ask if out of province ID's count because they had not gotten there NB ID cards yet. He estimated 80-85 percent of new accounts within the last few months being from out of province, and all had the same story Cheaper cost of living in NB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces