HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 12:26 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Podiums are a good fit for some locations such as where we have cvcs or trying to give some breathing room to other buildings within the same development or maybe they really do need a broad flat roof for a specific use, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of having them since it can make the landscape look odd.
Yeah, the CVCs seem to be the best use in Austin. I don't think they're the enemy, but I'm not always a fan of how they're implemented.

I was in Kunming last week on business and stayed in a hotel in the main area of downtown - especially for shopping and restaurants, etc. I've stayed here a few times. Huge pedestrian area, outdoor/indoor mall with apartment towers and hotels on top. It was basically the podium concept to the extreme, but it truly worked. I think it had four or five apartment towers around 30-40 stories each on top of a 4-5 floor mall, including one underground level, with an underground parking garage below that. This had a seamless connection to a large cut-and-cap plaza/park over a major road, connecting it to another pedestrian district. They're also currently building a subway line that runs right through there with station that will likely be directly connected.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:06 AM

Thanks for posting the update.

Any idea if they also have access to or plans to buy the half block to the north? They could build the tower courthouse they always wanted.

Those buildings to the north that face 9th street are horrendous, no CVC and prime for tear down. What a great trade that would be to preserve the 3rd/4th/Guad/San Antonio block and then get a rejuvenation of both the historic building and a new office tower with hundreds of people in that underutilized corner of downtown. Yes please!

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:47 PM

Thanks for all of the new photos, corvairkeith!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:39 PM

CVS update: FALSE ALARM.

Had a chance to chat with one of the workers on my lunch break. Turns out they're redoing the whole building to include offices on the second floor. Not clear if they'll be used by CVS or for sale, but either way, the pharmacy proper is supposed to reopen in June.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:22 AM
Meh

Today I noticed what looked like a drilling truck on the lot north of the St. David's Medical Center at 32nd Street.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
CVS update: FALSE ALARM.

Had a chance to chat with one of the workers on my lunch break. Turns out they're redoing the whole building to include offices on the second floor. Not clear if they'll be used by CVS or for sale, but either way, the pharmacy proper is supposed to reopen in June.
Any word on if they're gonna do anything with the exterior? (ie.........restore it to its original appearance maybe?!)

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 6:31 PM

RE: CVS. It's hard to tell yet... but it looks like a combo.
Not a full restore.... but more details than it had.
All the 80s blue tile is gone.
New windows.
Better detail paint.
I'm just happy they didn't tear it down and are working to bring out the detail that
was left.!

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:50 PM

Crestview Commons on N Lamar in the Midtown/Crestview Station TOD is coming along nicely. Parking podium is nearly complete and a massive order of lumber has been delivered, so hopefully unit framing will start soon.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:29 PM

A site plan was filed yesterday for another West Campus student housing project. This one is called Villas on Nueces on the 2300 block. The floor count isn't listed, and oddly enough there is a Villas Nueces on the 2200 block.

Site Plan:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=279033

The location from Streetview:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:22 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
It may be an expansion project. If so, we should expect something similar to the existing design. This is not uncommon at all to see multiple phases of student oriented apartments over a multi-year period, even when expansion wasn't part of the original vision.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 1:06 PM

Here's an extensive Historic Landmark Commission presentation about the 2203 Nueces site (see my previous post). The only building info is that it will be a "mid-rise".

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=277084

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:10 PM

A site plan was filed today for "610 East". This "...development includes a high rise mixed use building..." and is proposed for the Velocity Credit Union block. Based on the CVCs in the area this is another angled tower on a podium. This area is getting busy.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=1115848

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:41 PM

This is getting confusing. Another site plan for a "high rise mixed use' was filed today. This one is called "705 East" and is on E. 12th.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=879248

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:49 PM

..... as long as they don't fuck with Symphony sq...... OR create a crappy visual
backdrop..... !!!!!!! Hopefully smart enough developer to see the asset.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
..... as long as they don't fuck with Symphony sq...... OR create a crappy visual
backdrop..... !!!!!!! Hopefully smart enough developer to see the asset.
I hope you're right. Both of these two new proposals appear to be the same developer. I suspect the Brackenridge Tract and Med School are the catalyst for all this development. Snuck in between the CVCs in this small area we have:

Mirabeau Hotel & Residences
11th & Sabine Residential
610 East Mixed Use
705 East Mixed Use
The Huston

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:38 PM
World Traveler

It seems to be that 610 East and 705 East will block the views of downtown for the folks a couple blocks to the east who wanted to kill One Two East a while back....should we accommodate for them and drop these down to a couple floors each?

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:38 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Nice work, ATX.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:19 AM
Meh

That area of the skyline is boring, but that area of downtown is even worse and needs help in the pedestrian attractiveness territory. These projects along with the Brackenridge redevelopment are really going to take an ugly corner of downtown that really does have some unique features and assets and turn it into a hub. It's crazy to think we're looking at the possibility of there being 10 new towers in that area when you include the Brackenridge redevelopment.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That area of the skyline is boring, but that area of downtown is even worse and needs help in the pedestrian attractiveness territory. These projects along with the Brackenridge redevelopment are really going to take an ugly corner of downtown that really does have some unique features and assets and turn it into a hub. It's crazy to think we're looking at the possibility of there being 10 new towers in that area when you include the Brackenridge redevelopment.
Merck was just the beginning, IMHO.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:27 AM

I think this filing is in direct response to the proposed CVCs. I know Velocity was already thinking about this, because an architect friend of mine was talking to them about moving the credit union branch over to the site with the existing CVC, so that they could sell the existing branch site for a high rise. That would not be possible with the proposed CVC. But this is moving much faster than would normally be the case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin