HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:36 PM

Every member has a rubber stamp that says "I likey".

Without doing any research and just from what I have observed, I don't think they have much or any decision making authority. They seem to offer suggestions about how projects can better meet Austin's design guidelines.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Third & Shoal ... would now sit right between the two tallest buildings in Austin in most skyline views. Wonder if something bigger/more luxurious is in the works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I don't think so ... the site is encumbered by the same setback restrictions as Austin Proper ... basically, limiting the structure's height to roughly 400' ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
... Third + Shoal will be 387 feet ...
Is it true that any construction at the Austin Music Hall site is basically capped at the 400' level?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGuy View Post
Is it true that any construction at the Austin Music Hall site is basically capped at the 400' level?
In the planning commission file ATX posted, it lists this building at 391 ft. Just putting that out there but to answer your question there is also a line in there that says No height limitations

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 11:44 PM

Has anyone heard anything new on this one? Starting to think there may be some truth to the rumor that Cielo sold the property.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKTX View Post
Has anyone heard anything new on this one? Starting to think there may be some truth to the rumor that Cielo sold the property.
I'd be really surprised if Cielo sold it but then again, the site is very inactive. If I recall correctly, we first thought January demo, then March, then we were pretty certain it would be April 11th. I know these things don't happen overnight (I mean Austin Proper was supposed to break ground in November and that's also when 5th and West was supposed to go vertical. Oh and Hotel Zaza is just about done). Anyway, I don't see why the music venue would close right before a sale, unless some other development is being fast tracked. Why not allow tenant revenue to flow in if it's going to sit vacant.

Solely based on hearing the Cielo CEO speak in a candid setting, doesn't seem like the type of company that pulls a T. Stacy.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
I'd be really surprised if Cielo sold it but then again, the site is very inactive. If I recall correctly, we first thought January demo, then March, then we were pretty certain it would be April 11th. I know these things don't happen overnight (I mean Austin Proper was supposed to break ground in November and that's also when 5th and West was supposed to go vertical. Oh and Hotel Zaza is just about done). Anyway, I don't see why the music venue would close right before a sale, unless some other development is being fast tracked. Why not allow tenant revenue to flow in if it's going to sit vacant.

Solely based on hearing the Cielo CEO speak in a candid setting, doesn't seem like the type of company that pulls a T. Stacy.
They communicated with the 360 Condos building manager that fencing was set to go up around the site for the start of demo. From what he said, it sounded like the fence should have been up already. There is obviously a delay for some reason. It's only been a couple weeks though. So I imagine the fencing will go up and the demo will begin any day now.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:15 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
In the planning commission file ATX posted, it lists this building at 391 ft. Just putting that out there but to answer your question there is also a line in there that says No height limitations
Yes. In CBD and CBD-CURE zoned properties there are "no height limitations" (other than when it is within a CVC).

However, a required setback can, in effect, limit the structure's height (See Austin Proper). Furthermore, let's not forget about maximum FARs. Those too, in effect, will limit the height of a tower even when there is "no height limit" on that specific property.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 1:47 AM

The Design Commission posted the video of their 04/25 meeting with a Gensler Rep to discuss this project. The purpose of the meeting was to vote on giving the project a density bonus. It's about 30 minutes and mostly focuses on the project's interaction with the surrounding area because the density bonus was (I think) largely based on Great Streets participation. The vote was unanimous in favor.

http://austintx.swagit.com/play/04252016-950

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 8:45 PM

Another permit related to the demo was filed today. This would help explain why the AMH has been demo'ed yet.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11532821

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 10:51 AM

There is a reason for the demo delay. I spoke to the former event manager a AMH and he said it was due to the current Great Streets construction at the corner of 3rd and Nueces. Right now the NE corner is under construction with limited vehicular access. 3rd is now one way going E only. This construction needs to be completed prior to demo for emergency vehicle access. To demo now would impede access. It will happen just need other work in the area to complete first. Hope that helps.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM-ATX View Post
There is a reason for the demo delay ... it will happen just need other work in the area to complete first. Hope that helps.
That makes sense, thanks a bunch!

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:00 AM

Last edited by OtherKevin; May 17, 2016 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 6:07 PM

Cielo just tweeted the following promo. Looks good.

https://vimeo.com/167774360

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKTX View Post
Cielo just tweeted the following promo. Looks good.

https://vimeo.com/167774360
That's a mighty fine piece of multimedia marketing right there, yes indeed. By far the best preview I've seen of how a future building will look once it's in existence, assuming what they're depicting is vaguely accurate. Should be very attractive to tech firms.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:46 AM

This video is very simular to the Vimeo video they produced for 801 Barton Springs, minus the narrative on 801's. Very beautiful and a good representation of the amenities surrounding the two buildings. In this case, the building speaks for itself, as for 801, like Lucy, they had a lot of 'splaining to do. While I'll always lament the height of this, and the closeness to the Proper, I think I'm not as critical of the design as I once was, thanks to 801 Barton and one other project who shall not be named.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:50 PM

Not sure i'd be using "where the water meets the road" this time of year, a couple more heavy downpours and that phrase is gonna be prophetic

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 7:57 PM
Meh

Tower crane plans. There will be two of them.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ding_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:27 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinshrink View Post
Not sure i'd be using "where the water meets the road" this time of year, a couple more heavy downpours and that phrase is gonna be prophetic
Haha, yes indeed, that terrible, clumsy marketing slogan is not only absent any appeal or creativity, but it's definitely blind to regional peculiarities and probably devised by someone from drought-stricken Los Angeles. I say this in total ignorance of who came up with it, so it'd be fun to find out where they're from and what on earth they were thinking. The only good place for water to meet the road is at a boat ramp.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:34 AM
Meh

Site plan posted today - no changes in height/design.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...reet_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 3:13 PM

Hey guys, got a tech question for you. Every time I click on pdf links to the city's site I get a message from Microsoft Edge saying "Couldn’t open PDF, Something’s keeping this PDF from opening". This is with Window's 10. Has anybody had this issue? I don't remember having it before. Thanks for the help!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin