HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg Seedy Hotels

When will Winnipeg close down all the seedy bars that only are magnets for criminals and addicts. Imagine how much better Osborne Village and West Broadway would be if they redevolped the Sherbrook Inn and the Osborne Village Inn.

Eventually they can redevelop the Garrick, Winnipeg, Yale, Mount Royal, Northern, Sutherland, and all North Main Hotels. Edmonton and Calgary did the same thing, and crime has dropped in the inner city (although it has worsened in some other areas).

Last edited by Jets4Life; Apr 24, 2017 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:10 AM
Heart of the Continent

The OVI is closed, and has been for some time?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
When will Winnipeg close down all the seedy hotels that only are magnets for criminals and addicts. Imagine how much better Osborne Village and West Broadway would be if the closed down the Sherbrook Inn and the Osborne Village Inn.

Eventually they can tear down the Garrick, Winnipeg, Yale, Mount Royal, Northern, Sutherland, and all North Main Hotels. Edmonton and Calgary did the same thing, and crime has dropped in the inner city (although it has worsened in some other areas).
Closing the Main Street strip hotels and beverage rooms only moved the problem elsewhere, the St. Regis, Vendome, Woodbine, Windsor became worse dive bars then they already were.

Last edited by rrskylar; Apr 14, 2017 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:13 AM

Does anyone know what is currently happening with the Winnipeg?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:51 AM

They closed the Osborne Village Inn, and it's made the neighbourhood shittier.

Previously: Music venue. Beer vendor. Awesome diner.

Currently: Vacant building surrounded by construction fencing.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:08 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Closing the Main Street strip hotels and beverage rooms only moved the problem elsewhere, the St. Regis, Vendome, Woodbine, Windsor became worse dive bars then they already were.
I thought the hotel remains but St. Regis bar was closed some time ago?

Edit: Also, if you close all the downtown locations (those listed), where does the clientele move to? Elmwood, West End, Northend, Osborne?

I live in the West End and this hotel came to mind:
http://www.concordmotorhotel.ca/

Is that a serious website for that hotel?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post

Edit: Also, if you close all the downtown locations (those listed), where does the clientele move to? Elmwood, West End, Northend, Osborne?

Actually pretty funny!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 7:02 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:

It reminds me of something out of South Park...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 7:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:

LOL...that website is hilarious. I wonder if anyone has been duped by it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
On a positive note, North Main (at least south of the CPR tracks), has become a lot more appealing (sans the Salvation Army/Main Street Project). I know people will always have vice, but if these seedy bars are closed, a lot of the antisocial behaviour you find drunk people associated with, will seem much less sanctioned, and it will make the areas safer.

I doubt you will get the same clientele leaping from a North Main bar to Elmwood or other close areas. The people who frequent those establishments are down on their luck, and most don't have a vehicle to drive. It's better for them to drink at home anyway.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:41 PM
BANNED

I think Main Street would be preferable with those hotels still in existence but redeveloped.
North on Main, yes, without a doubt, those hotels need to be closed and redeveloped.

In terms of Calgary and Edmonton, there was plenty to replace those seedy dives with.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:22 PM

I would not consider the Sherbrook that "seedy" - sure it's low-end, but a lot of locals hang out there, socials and good parties a lot, Tallest Poppy.

The Garrick Hotel (yes, not the Garrick Centre) has become a popular music venue in recent years.

The Woodbine was taken over by new people a year or two ago. They're freshening up the place a little. Sure, not converting to boutique hotel by any means, but they put up some new signage at the front and rear entrances last week. It's full of hipsters watching music on weekends now.

There are definitely some BAD ones around that need to be closed, don't get me wrong, but they're not all horrible. Just because they're not everyone's cup of tea doesn't mean they don't provide a net benefit for the area. Woodbine in particular has been much more diligent with security in the last year or two, making sure people who are too far gone aren't hanging out outside. Plus, if it were gone - is anyone in the Exchange going to get beer after 10 pm?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:25 PM

I noticed about last year the Windsor stopped being a vendor. It's been better around there since - wonder if it has to do with new police HQ though (lots of cars pulling out right on the corner there).

Are these places actually hotels? Whats the story with places like this. Can't see anyone paying to stay in one.

(sorry if super dumb question but I walk by the Windsor almost every day and just assumed it had people living for really cheap in the 'hotel' side of it)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
On a positive note, North Main (at least south of the CPR tracks), has become a lot more appealing (sans the Salvation Army/Main Street Project). I know people will always have vice, but if these seedy bars are closed, a lot of the antisocial behaviour you find drunk people associated with, will seem much less sanctioned, and it will make the areas safer.

I doubt you will get the same clientele leaping from a North Main bar to Elmwood or other close areas. The people who frequent those establishments are down on their luck, and most don't have a vehicle to drive. It's better for them to drink at home anyway.
They cab to the bar ever gone watched how many cabs are at those bars coming and going it's nuts

Our seedy bars have become safer over the years.

If u want to change North main someone needs to buy the new west and the suds poor money into them and make them into traveling musical hostels partner with vineyard church as they also have a recording studio in their building. Not something u would see a return on investment no doubt but a wortgy investment to boost other potential investments on the area

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Speaking of seedy bars anyone popped into the kings? Cleaned up quite a bit also herd a rummor the underground cafe is reopening in part of it

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:59 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Speaking of seedy bars anyone popped into the kings? Cleaned up quite a bit also herd a rummor the underground cafe is reopening in part of it
Kings head?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Kings head?
Kings... this place on Higgins

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I noticed about last year the Windsor stopped being a vendor. It's been better around there since - wonder if it has to do with new police HQ though (lots of cars pulling out right on the corner there).

Are these places actually hotels? Whats the story with places like this. Can't see anyone paying to stay in one.

(sorry if super dumb question but I walk by the Windsor almost every day and just assumed it had people living for really cheap in the 'hotel' side of it)
They are full of long time residents. Lots of hotels like that, I know of one person that lived in the Green Brier for 30 years.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 10:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Kings... this place on Higgins

Gotcha. Yeah that would be a great place for a café... in 20 years when more hipster condos get built and waterfront extends to the end of point Douglas

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 10:55 PM

I actually stayed at the St. Regis about 35 Years ago and still have nightmares. We were students and one of group booked us in there to save money. I recall opening the drapes and there was a brick wall outside the window.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan