HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:47 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The study has been completed on the Ann Arbor-to-Traverse City rail proposal over the old path of the old Ann Arbor Railroad, and idea being pushed mainly by the folks in Traverse City. This would probably be a second-tier project if MDOT ever got involved, with the Coast-to-Coast proposal connecting Grand Rapids and the Lake to Detroit being the top project. But this study shows A2-to-TC could work.

Melanie Maxwell, MLive.com

Ann Arbor to Traverse City passenger rail is possible, study says

Quote:
ANN ARBOR, MI -- A passenger rail between Ann Arbor and Traverse City could generate $100 million in annual revenue by 2040, a new study says.

the 240-mile-long service track could attract 1.5 million riders a year, according to the The Groundwork Center's study, which was conducted by Transportation Economics & Management Systems, Inc.

And trains could be operating as early as 2025.

A train traveling at 60 mph would cost $151 million and could conduct 380,0000 existing trips by car along a route from Ann Arbor to Traverse City and Petoskey every year, the study says. A 110 mph train would cost more than $1 billion.

Existing tracks would be used but some would require replacements or repairs.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:25 PM

I just discoverd this thread and quickly scanned through some of the posts from 2018:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
MDOT's long-term improvements continue to accelerate Amtrak times on the Michigan Line...Improvements began in 2012 when MDOT purchased the line between Kalamazoo and Dearborn. Amtrak owns the line west of Kalamazoo. Positive train control (PTC) on the line and the new locomotives will further speed up travel on the line later this year.
I took Amtrak from Chicago to Ann Arbor back in March and can confirm that at one point the train reached an astounding 108 mph -- see my screenshot:

Unfortunately by the time the train arrived in Ann Arbor it was about half an hour behind schedule. That journey took ~4.5 hours instead of ~4 hours according to the schedule, even though we weren't delayed by freight trains or accidents. Amtrak has since reverted to the previous schedule, allowing for ~4.5 hours between Chicago and Ann Arbor. It's weird that the speed increase didn't really reduce the travel time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
The study has been completed on the Ann Arbor-to-Traverse City rail proposal over the old path of the old Ann Arbor Railroad
Fascinating! Your post inspired me to look up Michigan railroads and I was surprised to learn that there are numerous defunct railroads throughout the state. Reviving them seems economically viable, and I would be especially interested in this proposed Traverse City - Ann Arbor route.

I don't know if it has been mentioned by others but in 2015 the University of Michigan started the Detroit Connector shuttle bus connecting downtown Ann Arbor to the Detroit Symphony Hall. In Oct 2017 shuttle service was expanded to 7 days a week and to the general public. I took it once and really enjoyed it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Unfortunately by the time the train arrived in Ann Arbor it was about half an hour behind schedule. That journey took ~4.5 hours instead of ~4 hours according to the schedule, even though we weren't delayed by freight trains or accidents. Amtrak has since reverted to the previous schedule, allowing for ~4.5 hours between Chicago and Ann Arbor. It's weird that the speed increase didn't really reduce the travel time.
There is still a lot of work being done on the Michigan Line.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:22 AM

The Local Advisory Community and Government Advisory Community met in July for the I-375 Improvement Project. As of the last updated, they are considering Preferred Alternatives 4 (east oriented boulevard) & 5 (east oriented boulevar). It appears they've refined alternative 5.

South of Gratiot:

Refined Alternative 5 - Without Local Road: Less connectivity, but with more developable land. Bicycle traffic on the boulevard.

I-375 West Boulevard Refinement - Withouse Local Road by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Refined Alternative 5 - With Local Road: More connectivity, but less developable land. Bicycle traffic on the local road.

I-375 West Boulevard Refinement - With Local Road by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Then we have this:

Gratiot Avenue Connection Refinement:

I-375 Gratiot Connector Removal by NewCityOne, on Flickr

I really like the east-oriented boulevard better, as it allows for more intense development since the developable would be on the downtown side and not Lafayette Park side, which has a less intense zoning. The next step is to continue with developing the EA (environmental assessment) and release it, at which point MDOT will refine whatever is found and choose a peferred alternative.

North of Gratiot:

1. There will be a new off-ramp from southbound I-75 to Brush, and a new on-ramp from Brush to northbound I-75. The lanes from the Fisher Freeway (I-75 east-west) to the Chrysler Freeway (I-75 north-south) will be a much gentler curve, and will be a through-way and not a ramp since traffic will no longer access Gratiot on the other side. This whole thing, in fact, will have much gentler curves since the Gratiot Connector will be removed. This interchange has been a death-trap fro semis because of the ridiculouse curves. They'd never allow you to build anything like them today. Another big deal is that you finally get access from nortbound I-375 to the Fisher Freeway.

Existing interchange:

Chrysler Fisher 375 1 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Proposed interchange:

Chrysler Fisher 375 2 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

2. A new off-ramp from I-75 to Gratiot and Madison, and a new interchange between Gratiot and Madison, itself. And a new on-ramp from Gratiot. Gratiot currently has no direct access to I-375.

Existing:

Madison Interchange by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Proposed:

Gratiot- Madison Interchange by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Last edited by LMich; Nov 3, 2018 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:27 AM

They should just get rid of the interchange entirely, now is the time.

I also don't understand why the boulevard has to be so wide with dedicated turn lanes, thin this shit up!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:02 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Yeah the turn lanes kind of muck up the aesthetic goals of a blvd.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:57 AM

So, aesthetics are way down the list of priorities for this project. The purpose of this redo of the freeway is to:

1. Address out-of-date intechanges along the corridor, and thus improve safety. As I said earlier, the I-75/I-375 interchange magnet for semi truck accidents.
2. Provide more connectivity to the surrounding neighborhoods for all modes of traffic. The purpose is no longer to solely serve downtown auto commuters.
3. Reduce the cost of maintenance by getting rid of bridges.
4. Open up land for development to help better link Lafayette Park and downtown.

I went ahead and removed the south-facing graphics, as the proposed one was from the unrefined Alternative 5. The refined Alternative 5 reduces the overall width of the boulevard. As for the Michigan Lefts, they are absolutely necessary if the goal is for safety + connectivity to Lafayette Park and downtown.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:06 AM

Another major freeway project is taking place in Detroit, at least the prep work for it: I-94 Modernization. This project was approved by the FHA in 2005 and includes the reconstruction of 6.7 miles of freeway through the center of the city from I-96 (Jeffries) in the west to Connor Avenue in the east.

An old freeway, much of it couldn't be built today because of new safety standards. This will add a new lane in each direction and widen shoulders within the existing ROW. Other key elements include:

Quote:
  • Reconstruction of two freeway-to-freeway multi-level interchanges, 67 bridge structures and six railroad overpasses,
  • Local access improvements, including the addition of continuous service drives along I-94, and
  • Elimination of freeway left-hand exits and entrances.
The big freeway interchanges at the Lodge (M-10) and the Chrysler (I-75) are fairly significant, removing left-hand exits and entrances and generally shrinking their footprints believe it or not. Blue represents connections to be kept, red to be removed, and yellow potential new connections.

I-94/M-10

Midtown/New Center Draft Alignment

I believe these next ones show east of Midtown/New Center, as they include the continuous service drive, which isn't possible in the central part of the alignment.

However, what is currently under construction are the reconstruction (and removal) of multiple bridges over the existing freeway to make way for the actual freeway expansion, which isn't proposed to begin until 2023. The bridges will get wider pedestrian paths and other changes; some bridges will be eliminated. Removal and reconstruction began this year.

The supplemental environmental impact study is to be completed by 2020.

Gratiot Avenue - October

i94Detroit

i94Detroit

i94Detroit

Chene Street - September

i94Detroit

Last edited by LMich; Nov 5, 2018 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:04 PM

Park-like Oak Park bridge over I-696 slated for $25-$30M replacement

Quote:

State road officials are planning to replace a park-topped pedestrian bridge over I-696 because leaking water is creating a potential hazard to motorists traveling below.

The plaza, built in 1985 in Oak Park, has already undergone several renovations and repairs over the years, including in 2016. But large icicles still form underneath and dangle over the roadway.

"Multiple efforts to prevent water intrusion, and subsequent ice buildup on the beams, have been largely unsuccessful, and a more long-term solution is needed," said Matt Chynoweth, chief bridge engineer for the Michigan Department of Transportation.

Removing and replacing the plaza, which is home to the 3.7-acre Victoria Park and a stretch of Church Street, will cost an estimated $25-$30 million. The project is scheduled for 2024-2025.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...nt/2027697002/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:32 AM

Some great projects going on in Detroit!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 3:46 PM
somewhere in-between

Can this be counted as transportation news, for the purposes of this thread?

Quote:
Snyder signs Soo Locks agreement with Army Corps
Bryce Huffamn | Michigan radio
December 26, 2018

Governor Rick Snyder has signed an agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that will commit up to $52 million of state money for upgrades to the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie. Governor Snyder is among many in Michigan who have said upgrading the locks is a priority for the state. Snyder highlighted their importance in a statement Wednesday.

"The Soo Locks are essential to our economy and national security. The time is long overdue for construction to begin on the new lock. I’m pleased that the work is finally getting underway and hope that Congress quickly provides the rest of the funds needed to complete the project," Snyder said.

With this agreement signed, things are moving faster than state officials expected. Ari Adler, a spokesman for Governor Snyder, says that's good for taxpayers...
There's still a lot of funds left to be secured, but this helps.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:56 PM

Looks like Toledo City Council is thinking they might want in on regional commuter rail too. I'm surprised this has been under the radar for so long I saw this on a discussion over at detroityes.

Quote:
Toledo City Council OKs $50,000 study into Toledo-Detroit rail service
Analysis would look into economic impact to both regions

By WTOL Newsroom
November 7, 2018

Quote:
Toledo City Council approved an ordinance on Wednesday that will allow Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz to enter into agreements for a study into Toledo-Detroit rail ridership.

The ordinance OKs a cost estimate study for a total cost of $50,000. The Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments is contributing $20,000 of that total cost.

The ordinance approved Wednesday allows the expenditure of $30,000 from the Division of Transportation general fund budget.

The Toledo-Detroit Rail Ridership Feasibility & Cost Estimate Study will evaluate the potential for passenger rail service from Toledo to Southeast Michigan including Detroit, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, and Detroit Airport.

According to a business plan prepared in October by Transportation Economics & Management Systems Inc., the study will examine how passenger rail service between Toledo and Detroit could further both cities economically and improve local economies through better access to "markets, jobs, and income, and the social and leisure facilities of both the Michigan and Ohio regions."

The proposed corridor runs from Toledo to Southern Michigan, with possible connections to Detroit Airport, Detroit, Dearborn and Ann Arbor. It’s anticipated that the study will focus on and analyze trains that travel 79 mph (Amtrak) and 110 mph (Talgo).
http://www.wtol.com/2018/11/07/toled...G169iacKs4cXIs

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Last edited by Docta_Love; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:02 PM
Registered Ugly

That just seems like so far-fetched of an idea, it’s sort of laughable. Interesting, though, that Toledo is acknowledging its place on the world.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Sad how "Completely normal and expected" in seemingly ever other developed country equals "farfetched and laughable" in this one.

There should have been a rail connection between these two metros years ago, or should I say there still should be a rail connection between these two metros. The fact that there is not is what is laughable.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:11 AM
Registered Ugly

Not in this country. In that region.

Even here, the WES commuter rail is propped up by subsidies from ridership in other parts of the (light rail) system.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:23 AM

It's not far fetched and Michigan has invested a lot in passenger rail. There are even efforts for a passenger rail from A2 to Traverse city, this "region" definitely thinks it's rail is important.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:46 AM
Registered Ugly

I have high hopes for the commuter rail between Ann Arbor and Detroit, but Toledo to someplace between those two locations? Not in our lifetimes, ‘fraid not.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:54 AM

The rail is necessary to connect Detroit with East Coast lines without a Chicago transfer. You realize that the infrastructure already exists and had service as late as 1995 right? It already existed in your lifetime lol

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:04 AM
Registered Ugly

Wait, is this commuter rail or an Amtrak connection? Because if it’s the latter, then yeah, this is a good move.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The rail is necessary to connect Detroit with East Coast lines without a Chicago transfer. You realize that the infrastructure already exists and had service as late as 1995 right? It already existed in your lifetime lol
There is already a bus providing this connection at a far lower cost, which is timed to meet BOTH of the trains running through Toledo each day. The bus is probably more reliable than the rail could hope to be, at least without a major capital investment (hundreds of millions).

This rail is far more important for Toledo than for Detroit, Detroit has several other corridors that could support commuter or intercity rail with a higher potential ridership.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation