HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:08 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Yeah but machine learning can be very susceptible to pathological adversarial inputs and I don't think clear defenses have been established yet (see e.g. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.07107.pdf ).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:18 PM

I hadn't heard of this "adversarial" issue. This is even new terminology to me.
Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post

Guess it's only a matter of years from now.

Yeah, 50.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Yeah, 50.
never... for non rich people. unless its a only driverless car taxi thats only in a few cities probably.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:30 PM

^ Bah, it's always the same. The latest stuff is always overpriced at first, then it eventually goes affordable and people can enjoy it as something regular in the end.

There's nothing much foreseeable at the moment, because this digital economy's faster and faster, thus unpredicatble right now.
Even the biggest experts don't seem to really have a clue; can't tell us what exactly 2025 or 30 will be like.

They just say we're living some kind of 3rd industrial revolution that started very slowly from the 1970s with the early computer industry, but now it got to some pretty insane pace.
So you could expect some fully autonomous peronal vehicles by 2030 or 40 at the latest. That sounds reasonable, but who knows? It could as well be sooner than suspected.

It won't change the fact that cars are cumbersome in dense environments anyway, so I would expect this tech to mainly serve people in the suburbs and remote semi-rural areas, as an efficient complement to urban mass transit.
It could help them get to city centers more effectively and faster whenever they need to, which would be some nice improvement.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:15 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Autonomous buses will be a gamechanger for urban areas, if they ever appear (and they should be an easier problem then fully autonomous vehicles, since they have approximately fixed routes).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Autonomous buses will be a gamechanger for urban areas, if they ever appear (and they should be an easier problem then fully autonomous vehicles, since they have approximately fixed routes).
Think about how relatively easy driverless streetcars/street-running light rail would be as compared to driverless buses. Plus, they're much more energy-efficient than buses and less maintenance over time.

Unfortunately, a driverless streetcar, let alone a driverless bus, is a much less interesting prospect in the public's mind.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:00 PM

Autonomous buses could probably be all the easier to develop since in best cases, they have their dedicated/segregated lanes like light rail vehicles, just about spared from car traffic management.

Although cabs and cyclists are allowed to use bus lanes too here, which doesn't make it as convenient as it could be from a design perspective, beside other problems affecting bus lines. Especially the fact that they are much less recognizable or identifiable than transit lines based on rail.
Hundreds and hundreds of bus lines where I live, literally. It is often confusing, puzzling.

I think rail will remain a more reliable medium in an urban setting, even for locals. Moreover, there is tough competition in manufacturing trams, so I guess Siemens, Bombardier, Alstom and others will be eager to implement some AI for their LRT vehicles too.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 10:51 PM

if they make driverless three wheel $5,000 cars poor people could afford it. i like those three wheel two seater tandem cars. its easy to drive and if you need to text or something the driverless would drive for a bit.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Moreover, there is tough competition in manufacturing trams, so I guess Siemens, Bombardier, Alstom and others will be eager to implement some AI for their LRT vehicles too.
A driverless in-street rail system could be augmented by cameras/sensors on the trolley poles, other utility poles, and neighboring buildings. The driverless system wouldn't be completely reliant on on-board sensors, and as such, the vehicle could much more easily anticipate issues a block before the problem is encountered.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:03 PM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:44 PM

Self-driving cars may be more likely to hit you if you have dark skin

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...y-distributed/

Quote:

- Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology found that state-of-the-art object recognition systems are less accurate at detecting pedestrians with darker skin tones. The researchers tested eight image-recognition systems (each trained on a standard data set) against a large pool of pedestrian images. They divided the pedestrians into two groups for lighter and darker skin tones according to the Fitzpatrick skin type scale, a way of classifying human skin color. The detection accuracy of the systems was found to be lower by an average of five percentage points for the group with darker skin. This held true even when controlling for time of day and obstructed view.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 11:23 PM

Tesla brings out strong and divided opinions in the area of Autonomous Cars, with some people convinced that Tesla cars will never be capable of 'full self driving,' and others - like me - who see Tesla as having the best chance at coming to market with self-driving taxis first.

So it is exiting to see progress being made. On April 19 an investor's event demonstrating the full self driving demo software will be live-streamed, and very soon all Tesla vehicles with the 'full self driving' or 'enhanced autopilot' features will get a software update allowing the car to switch lanes on its own, without any input from the driver.

The demo features will probably be a better version this demo version, unlocked by the hacker GreenTheOnly:

Video Link

I've had my Model 3 Standard Range+ for about two weeks now, and I can say that I am completely confident in my car's ability to change lanes and handle traffic on the freeway. The car is solid at keeping lanes, it knows when other cars around it and reacts to them as they merge and move around it, and it can navigate to the exit I need without my needing to pay any attention to exit numbers. It is an AWESOME car, and I can't wait to get more self-driving features!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 11:38 PM

How autonomous shuttles are changing city transportation

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news...tation/551489/

Quote:

- Cities including Detroit, Denver, Columbus, OH and Las Vegas have already piloted autonomous shuttle buses, which typically carry 10 people or less on a fixed route through a section of their downtowns. Meanwhile, the likes of Providence, RI, Orlando, FL and New York City are set to launch their own service in the coming months, with companies like May Mobility and Optimus Ride among the partners to provide the shuttle technology. They say they are already seeing their partnerships bear fruit.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:30 PM

Here's a ~4 hour presentation by Tesla engineers & Elon Musk on how their 'Full Self Driving' features work:
Video Link

In Elon's presentation (which begins at the 3 hour mark, and which I highly recommend watching!) he announces the Full Self Driving software will be feature complete by the end of this year, and that they expect to begin roll-out of their robo-taxi service next year. If you own a Tesla vehicle you can add your vehicle to the fleet so that it can make money for you while you are at work.

Here is a demo video they released a few hours after the presentation:
Video Link

After what seems like endless delays in the deployment of autonomous taxis, this is very exciting news!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:03 PM

How Self-Driving Cars Could Disrupt the Airline Industry

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...dustry/591352/

Quote:

- Imagine someone who lives in Atlanta and needs to travel to Washington, D.C., for business. This is about a 10-hour drive. A flight takes about two hours, assuming no delays. Add to that the drive to the airport, checking in, the security line and waiting at the gate. Upon arrival in D.C., it may take another 30 minutes to pick up any checked bags and find a rental car—and even more time to drive to the specific destination. The average person would estimate a total travel time of four to five fours. Most people would choose to fly instead of driving themselves.

- However, if they could have a fully driverless car take them there, the choice changes. Passengers could eat, drink, work and sleep during the 10-hour drive. They could leave whenever they want, and pack whatever they want including liquids and pocketknives—with no searches or scans. When they get to D.C., they wouldn’t have to find a rental car and navigate to the actual place they’re going. Which would you choose? Now imagine the self-driving car has a reclining seat with actual legroom, or even a bed. It’s more than a little tempting.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 5:01 PM

When realistically will we see autonomous cars that are 99.99999% safe? This is a tall order especially when every crash will make the news.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
When realistically will we see autonomous cars that are 99.99999% safe? This is a tall order especially when every crash will make the news.

Let's see driverless demos in the rain and snow. How about at night in the rain in snow.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Let's see driverless demos in the rain and snow. How about at night in the rain in snow.
Or freezing rain or on black ice. Will they be able to handle these different driving conditions safely?

I wait for the first driverless car to lose control of itself.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Computer vision in a Tesla Model S:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation