HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Be wary of posters with single digit post counts, as its obviously some troll looking for trouble. No sane person begins posting in the forum with ridiculous comments, its usually someone who's a member already.
um idk what porbelm u have with me posting on this sight but i hate to say it but your just gonna have to deal with it pretty much what i was saying there was that as time gos on new york will have more 1000 footers then chicago

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 11:36 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
um idk what porbelm u have with me posting on this sight but i hate to say it but your just gonna have to deal with it pretty much what i was saying there was that as time gos on new york will have more 1000 footers then chicago
How can you determine that (As much as I would like that)? Your like a regular Nostradamus.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post

Yeah, well my only problem with your posts is trying to decypher your writing. Is English your second (or third) language, or is this doggerel what passes for "hip" grammar these days?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 11:47 PM
World Machine

Honestly charmedone, if you have nothing of value to contribute on this thread, then take it else where.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 12:11 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Keep your "Chicago system" in Chicago. New York could care less what threads you have or don't have. I can never understand Chicago forumn members obsession with constantly trying to stack up to New York. Be excited about what you have. Being Chicago doesn't mean you have to be New York.
I'd simply say the same for you. I merely answered another forumers observation...nothing to blow a gasket about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
How can you determine that (As much as I would like that)? Your like a regular Nostradamus.
I'd like to know too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Is English your second (or third) language
Maybe it is. All of us weren't born speaking it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 12:28 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post

Maybe it is. All of us weren't born speaking it.
Neither was I.

If so, then maybe he should take extra care to avoid crap like "u" instead of "you"... and I doubt too many foreigners would use the expression "gonna." The bottom line is: if he wants me to understand his posts, he should make an effort. Even if if he thinks its more cool to post in "'Net slang"...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Wow! They're going to loom side by side, veritable (dare I say it?) Twins...
Yeah, but don't be fooled by that. These "twins" would have a lot more competition surrounding them...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
You gotta figure someone will grab for the chance to put up New York's forever tallest tower, a 2,000 footer. If they can't overcome NIMBY opposition in the middle of an abandoned railyard, than New York will never have a 2,000 footer anywhere.
LOL, that's probably true. That's probably the least populated area of Manhattan. But anything over 1,300 ft likely would have to be residential. Office towers aren't really built that high anymore. Unless, maybe a half & half tower, with residences at the top (the Girasole comes to mind).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I'd simply say the same for you.
No need. I don't join the Chicago threads with talk of New York developments. That's what the New York threads are for. I'm saying there is no need for your constantly comparing the two, as you only invite arguments by doing so.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:55 PM
Not far from Disneyland

Quote:
Yeah, but don't be fooled by that. These "twins" would have a lot more competition surrounding them...
True, but these two would more than likely be built first. There might be a few years where these "twins" will really stand out.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 9:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefigman View Post
True, but these two would more than likely be built first. There might be a few years where these "twins" will really stand out.
That may be true for the Girasole. But the railyard development already has tenants lined up. It's possible they could get underway before or at the same time as Sherwood's tower. But Sherwood has the less complicated site to build on.

Then there's the matter of the Convention Center hotel that could be nearly 1,000 ft (just north of the Girasole).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:06 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.therealdeal.net/issues/No...1194216929.php

City makes way for Hudson Yards
Buildings on far West Side seized for massive redevelopment

Tenants at 545 West 34th were told to leave.

By Katherine Dykstra
November 2007

When Alan Bleviss, a small business owner who rented office space on far West 34th street between 10th and 11th avenues, received a letter on August 1 from his new landlord telling him that he would have to relocate, he was disappointed but not surprised.

Since he moved his company, Pineapple Sounds, which does voiceovers, into 545 West 34th Street two years before, he'd been hearing rumblings among the other tenants about the massive redevelopment planned for the area known as Hudson Yards, including a possible extension of the No. 7 subway line.

But the rumors had been flying for so long that no one seemed to know what to believe, including whether any of it would ever come to fruition.

"I moved in from New Jersey, and I expected to die there," says Bleviss. "People told me in the building that this has been going on forever -- that this will never happen."

But it is happening. The city officially seized Bleviss' building, Infinity Court, a live/work construction owned by the Moinian Group, in August, and tenants moved out last month. The building was one of 11 taken by right of eminent domain in order to make room for the creation of the Hudson Park and Boulevard, which will eventually traverse the middle of the block from 33rd Street all the way to 39th Street. That's part of a grand redevelopment planned for the area, the rezoning of which was approved in January of 2005: The overall plan calls for 24 million square feet of Class A office space, 13,500 units of housing and a million square feet of retail, among other area improvements, which include the park and the 7 train extension.

The Park and Boulevard project will be constructed in two phases, and the seizures that occurred in August represent only the first group. The city has until October of 2015 to take the properties -- sited from 37th through 39th streets -- to complete the second phase of the project. (Like Moinian and the others who owned property taken for phase one of the project, those businesses are already aware that seizure is impending.)

According to Marya Cotten, vice president of acquisitions at the Hudson Yards Development Corporation, 60 companies, including 33 residents and 30 businesses, were affected in the initial condemnation.

Planning for the future subway station to be built at 34th Street and 11th Avenue called for the relocation of business, but the city was able to negotiate with all of the owners of those buildings -- including a catering facility; the FedEx warehouse on the south side of 34th Street, which will relocate to the Bronx; and the Copacabana, the site of which was bought by Extell -- and thus no condemnation needed to take place.

Those in the real estate world appreciate the effect of the change on smaller businesses like Bleviss'.

"There will be a transition period during which time there will be some adjustments for people," says Martin Ezratty, a director of sales at Eastern Consolidated.

"I think that's a fair question about where those people [small businesses] go... The city has a huge incentive to accommodate those people in Brooklyn or Harlem," says Simon Wasserberger, senior vice president of CB Richard Ellis. "From a city planning perspective, you could always find a home for those guys. What you can't always find a home for is a million-foot bank."

Wasserberger's point -- that the far West Side near the Hudson Yards is the only place in the city with enough square footage to accommodate such industry -- is well-taken. By not developing the area, the city would run the risk of losing that business to New Jersey or elsewhere, which could be very costly.

Times Square lite

With the redevelopment, if Eighth Avenue and Times Square are any indicator, the area is likely to become one of the highest in terms of property values in the city.

"They're achieving numbers [office rents] well into the $100s [a square foot] in Times Square now," says Jeff Katz, the owner of Sherwood Equities. "This [area] will be leased at a discount to Times Square, but that's just for the first wave. It will be a prime-central business district with 26 million square feet."

Katz himself invested in the area more than a decade ago by purchasing a commercial site with the potential of 2.5 million square feet of space at 34th and 10th, and a residential site kitty-corner to it at 10th Avenue and 35th Street. He purchased the commercial site in 1985 when there was talk of the Javits Center changing the area. He has been sitting on both properties, waiting until he sees signs of growth in the area to develop.

Robert K. Futterman, a retail broker, also has his eye on the area.

"We rep tenants who want to be there, landlords who are developing space," he says. "[Condo projects are] bringing more people to live in the neighborhood. The more people that live there, the more need there'll be for service-oriented businesses."

But with progress sometimes comes pain. The city paid Bleviss for his trouble, though he was reticent to disclose how much. It also retained the services of the Cornerstone Group to help the tenants of 545 West 34th Street find new space.

"I think we're being very proactive about trying to assist people to move -- so they have the cash to put money down on a new lease," says Cotten. "And they have more flexibility than with other companies because they'd be tied to leases they can't break ... all they have to do is give [us] notice, and they can move on."

Despite the offer of a free broker, Bleviss opted to find a space himself. He left on October 8, choosing to move before the city moved him. He now says he's happy with his new office space, which is located on Seventh Avenue and 54th Street. "I have a couple hundred dollars more a month in rent, and it was disruptive -- I lost a week of work moving," says Bleviss. "But they forced me to move to a better location."

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
http://www.therealdeal.net/issues/No...1194216929.php

City makes way for Hudson Yards
Buildings on far West Side seized for massive redevelopment

Tenants at 545 West 34th were told to leave.

The city officially seized Bleviss' building, Infinity Court, a live/work construction owned by
the Moinian Group, in August, and tenants moved out last month. The building was one of 11
taken by right of eminent domain in order to make room for the creation of the Hudson Park
and Boulevard, which will eventually traverse the middle of the block from 33rd Street all the
way to 39th Street.

The Park and Boulevard project will be constructed in two phases, and the seizures that
occurred in August represent only the first group. The city has until October of 2015 to take
the properties -- sited from 37th through 39th streets -- to complete the second phase of
the project.

Planning for the future subway station to be built at 34th Street and 11th Avenue called for
the relocation of business, but the city was able to negotiate with all of the owners of those
buildings -- including a catering facility; the FedEx warehouse on the south side of 34th
Street, which will relocate to the Bronx; and the Copacabana, the site of which was bought
by Extell -- and thus no condemnation needed to take place.

The building at 545, shown here, borders the site, and will be part of the park
that will border the Girasole, and front Sherwood's tower along the new Avenue...

Things are moving along nicely now...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal
Since he moved his company, Pineapple Sounds, which does voiceovers, into 545 West 34th Street two years before, he'd been hearing rumblings among the other tenants about the massive redevelopment planned for the area known as Hudson Yards, including a possible extension of the No. 7 subway line. But the rumors had been flying for so long that no one seemed to know what to believe, including whether any of it would ever come to fruition.

"I moved in from New Jersey, and I expected to die there," says Bleviss. "People told me in the building that this has been going on forever -- that this will never happen."
All these people had to do was follow the process, and they would've seen the handwriting on the wall. However, unlike Atlantic Yards, this one moved smoothly.

Quote:
"From a city planning perspective, you could always find a home for those guys. What you can't always find a home for is a million-foot bank."

Wasserberger's point -- that the far West Side near the Hudson Yards is the only place in the city with enough square footage to accommodate such industry -- is well-taken. By not developing the area, the city would run the risk of losing that business to New Jersey or elsewhere, which could be very costly.
Also true.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
Developer: Vornado/Durst
Architect: FXFowle architects

Check out the Girasole making a cameo appearance! This is great.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 1:37 AM
Frigidus Maximus

With all these amazing proposals just rushing at us, I'm approaching sensory overload!

New York City is now in the process of rolling up its sleeves and getting down to the work of showing the world, yet again, what it means to build a CITY.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 1:49 AM
World Machine

Now I know how people felt in the early 20th century when all the big booms started. Only this time it's on a larger scale.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:02 AM
Frigidus Maximus

And to think only a few dozen months ago we were told the World Trade Center rebuild would be the most significant New York project of the 21st century! It's already in danger of being forgotten!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:36 AM
World Machine

I know. I haven't even thought of it in the last week. And considering the heights of those buildings, that really says something about the development scale that is happening on the Westside. It just overshadows everything.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
With all these amazing proposals just rushing at us, I'm approaching sensory overload!

New York City is now in the process of rolling up its sleeves and getting down to the work of showing the world, yet again, what it means to build a CITY.
Same here, and its only a couple of weeks before we get down to business with the Penn Station/MSG redevelopment. It's like the Chrysler/Empire State/Rockefeller Center era all over again. Only, we're alive to witness it. The city has earned it's special place in the forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction