HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 9:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The lot beside the Redwood bridge had 20 tandem loads of fill dumped on it and the city did nothing even though they knew about it. It seems commonplace now.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
You must be the second house in from the park.

Sorry, no new PMs. Ask away on here.
Well, here is my question: In 2009 the city surverying crew came over and placed stakes in our yard showing the different levels. Basically, the bottom of our walk-out basement was 22.5 ft above James. So, they made us build a sandbag dike (2 ft) in front of the walk out only.

The water actually rose to 22.6 ft at James that year; however, the water was nowhere near our dike - in fact, it was 30 ft away from our house. In reality, the water would have to have risen an additional foot (23.5 ft James) for it to hit our dike.

So, in my estimation, whatever the reading is at James, you have to substract 1ft for our area. Just wondering if you've noticed the same thing?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Took a look at what they did to the lot at 468 Henderson Hwy, where the condo project GATES ON HENDERSON is being built, the lot was completely stripped bare of any kind of plant or tree, the river bank was levelled and extended (probably illegally) past the bank and into the river. This is a complete disaster for the river bank and neighbouring properties. I can't believe the city allows bull shit like this to occur!
There wasn't much on the property to begin with. It has been bare for years.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:56 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
Well, here is my question: In 2009 the city surverying crew came over and placed stakes in our yard showing the different levels. Basically, the bottom of our walk-out basement was 22.5 ft above James. So, they made us build a sandbag dike (2 ft) in front of the walk out only.

The water actually rose to 22.6 ft at James that year; however, the water was nowhere near our dike - in fact, it was 30 ft away from our house. In reality, the water would have to have risen an additional foot (23.5 ft James) for it to hit our dike.

So, in my estimation, whatever the reading is at James, you have to subtract 1ft for our area. Just wondering if you've noticed the same thing?
I'm going to assume you were not there in 1997.

You can't use 2009 as any kind of a reference. It was a strange flood year that was caused more by ice than water. Localized ice jams caused strange level readings. Plus you have to remember that during high periods the surface of the river isn't "flat", i.e. it will back up and be higher behind restrictions like shallow areas and sharp turns.

Surveys are usually pretty close. If your dike was higher than needed it was probably because it was built with two feet of freeboard as they always are. Level predictions are just that - predictions. During the 1997 "Red Sea" event the engineers said one inch of rain in the flood area meant one foot of additional water in the city!

I can't remember what the slope of your yard looks like but when you say the water was 30 feet away, what was the vertical dimension? If the water goes up one foot it can eat up the yard quickly if it is a gentle slope.

Listen to the engineers and build the dike as they specify. Too high is better than too low!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 2:00 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
There wasn't much on the property to begin with. It has been bare for years.
That's not the point he was making. Pushing fill onto the riverbank and arbitrarily changing its shape can cause bank failures and affect adjacent properties.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 5:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Snowstorm to add to flood worries
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 03/22/2011 1:00 AM

IT looks as if Winnipeg is going to be spared in the first snowstorm of the spring, but the watershed won't be so lucky.
Environment Canada is calling for two to four centimetres of snow in Winnipeg today, with a similar amount to follow tonight.
That's a far cry from the walloping that towns along the U.S. border are going to get, according to Greg Pearce, forecaster technologist with Environment Canada.
Pilot Mound, for example, is expected to be blanketed with 15 to 25 cm of snow today with another 10 to 15 cm to come overnight. "There's a sharp dividing line between really heavy snow and next to nothing," he said.
The snowfall expected for southeastern Saskatchewan, southwestern Manitoba as well as North Dakota and Minnesota will only make the already-saturated ground around the Red and Assiniboine rivers even wetter.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...118416374.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:41 AM

Quote:
I'm going to assume you were not there in 1997.

You can't use 2009 as any kind of a reference. It was a strange flood year that was caused more by ice than water. Localized ice jams caused strange level readings. Plus you have to remember that during high periods the surface of the river isn't "flat", i.e. it will back up and be higher behind restrictions like shallow areas and sharp turns.

Surveys are usually pretty close. If your dike was higher than needed it was probably because it was built with two feet of freeboard as they always are. Level predictions are just that - predictions. During the 1997 "Red Sea" event the engineers said one inch of rain in the flood area meant one foot of additional water in the city!

I can't remember what the slope of your yard looks like but when you say the water was 30 feet away, what was the vertical dimension? If the water goes up one foot it can eat up the yard quickly if it is a gentle slope.

Listen to the engineers and build the dike as they specify. Too high is better than too low!
For sure, we would always build as per city engineers.

I was not here for 1997, but in 2009, we did indeed have two crests. The first was due to ice jams North of the city (which brought levels up to near 21 ft), then the 2nd crest was free of ice jams. This is when the water reading was 22.6ft @ James ave.

Our backyard is flat for the most part. When I say the water was 30 ft away, that is probably 2ft vertical.

However, it seems like the water at the Kildonan Bridge is consistently 2.5ft lower than James Ave during flood season, and approx 1ft lower than James the rest of the year. I've been documenting daily river levels in "April" since 2007. According the the city website, the water level at Kildonan Bridge is currently 1ft lower than James:

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/pwddata/riverlevels/

_____

Riverman, I have another question for you: Today, the city crew arrived to survey our property. Unfortunately, I was at work and unable to speak to them. The "numbers" they have written on the stakes seem to make no sense. For example, the stakes nearest our house has: 29.581

What does that number represent???

It can't be feet above datum or else I wouldn't seen sandbags. If it was feet above sea level, it would be 740 (or something). If it was metric, it would be 225 (or something).

Any ideas?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:29 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I don't know what that means, it might another datum they're working to. The engineers have set up an office trailer on Carmen Avenue at Glenwood for just this reason - to help the neighbours understand what's going on. If you are going to go and ask I'd like to go with you as I want to absorb all the info I can. I signed up to be a dyke captain for my street.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:23 AM

Quote:
I don't know what that means, it might another datum they're working to. The engineers have set up an office trailer on Carmen Avenue at Glenwood for just this reason - to help the neighbours understand what's going on. If you are going to go and ask I'd like to go with you as I want to absorb all the info I can. I signed up to be a dyke captain for my street.
I like the sounds of that

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I like the sounds of that
From Webster's

Definition of DYKE
chiefly British variant of dike

LOL I looked it up in '97 when the jokes were flying.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Hey, just got off the phone with Lloyd (city of wpg flood coordinator). The numbers on the stakes are the metric "meters above sea level". They just dropped the "200" because that was implied.

So, when I have a stake that reads 29.522, it actually means 229.522 to the TOP OF THE STAKE (the orange ribbon at the top). To convert metric to imperial you need to divide by 0.3048.

______
In my scenario:

Stake near house says 229.522
229.522/0.3048 = 753 ft at the top of the stake

Distance between top of stake and the ground is approx 3 ft, so the ground level of my walk-out basement is 750ft.

Datum is 727.5 ft, so in theory, if the water rises to 22.5 feet above datum, I would have a trace amount of water hitting the house.

____

This is where it gets confusing. In 2009 the water did rise to 22.6ft on its 2nd crest (no ice jams). The water did not touch our house although based on city measurements, it should have. Based on the city website, the difference between St-Norbert (far south) water levels and Kildonan bridge (far north) is as much as 6 feet during peak flood times. This makes sense, the water runs North to lake Winnipeg. I am trying to determine where my house fits along that span.

Because I am in between James Ave and the Kildonan Bridge, the water level at my house will be LESS than James, but MORE than Kildonan. The difference between those two points in 2.5 ft (based on historic flood levels). My theory was proven in 2009 when the water SHOULD HAVE BEEN HITTING MY SANDBAG DIKE, but didn't. Based on this, I am quite certain that flood levels in my yard are 1ft less than James.

So, practically speaking, the water levels at James would need to hit 23.5 ft before I get a trace of water near my house.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:49 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Again, I wouldn't base anything on 2009. As I said earlier the "slope" of the river can be quite severe especially during severe, intermittent events like an ice jam and release. I would base predictions on your property based on what happened in 1997, if you can get that data, or ask your neighbours.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:52 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

What level is the dike at Fraser's Grove Park built to?

I live about a block from the dike (on Glencoe) and was wondering where the water would need to be before I need to worry.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The city will tell you if you need to build a dyke.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
What level is the dike at Fraser's Grove Park built to?

I live about a block from the dike (on Glencoe) and was wondering where the water would need to be before I need to worry.
During the '97 flood water was almost lapping at Kildonan Drive, I seem to remember there were sandbags on the Drive itself.

PS I don't live too far from you!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

So I am higher then u guys and I am several feet above the dike on rover

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 4:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Snow storm in North Dakota delays Manitoba's flood update

By: Staff Writer
Posted: 03/23/2011 1:48 PM

Manitoba’s new flood update, which was to happen today, won’t take place until officials here get a better idea of the impact of a late-winter snow storm in North Dakota, Water Stewardship Minister Christine Melnick said today.
The storm dumped more than 25 centimetres on the state and regions in eastern Minnesota and South Dakota over night. Major highways only recently re-opened.
"They got walloped," Melnick said.
Reports say the U.S. National Weather Service is now determining what the snow means to flood forecasts for Fargo and Grand Forks.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...118521694.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 2:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The snowfall was quite spotty, Grand Forks got 3 inches but Devil's Lake got 19 inches.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:34 AM

20 miles south of Grand Forks, Mayville, got over 19 inches. Fargo had 2 inches of ice pellets and 8 inches of snow. Very high water content too.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 11:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Local

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Shoal Lakes threaten to swamp 60 properties

Farmers want drain installed to prevent flooding

By: Bartley Kives
Posted: 03/25/2011 1:00 AM

[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/648*373/110324_SHOAL_LAKES_204_1440.jpg[/IMG]

Inwood farmer John Dyck says the road that goes by his farmstead has washed out every spring for the last few years. This is due to flooding of the nearby Shoal Lakes.
INWOOD, Man. -- John Dyck has muskrats living on the frozen marsh that used to be his hayfield. Wallace Morin has built a ring dike around his farmhouse even though he lives six kilometres from any official body of water.
Leonard Dziedzic saw pelicans swimming last summer above the spot where he used to store his bales. Howard Hilstrom has already lost half of his 6,000 acres of farmland as well as one-third of his 300 cows.
These four farmers have the misfortune of living at the edge of the Shoal Lakes, once-separate bodies of water east of Lake Manitoba in the province's Interlake region, that have merged into a single super-lake over the past decade, swallowing up thousands of acres of private and Crown land in the process.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...118638404.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan