HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:59 PM

^ Winnipeg's relationship with Burt has never been the same since that time he got bottled at Sev... which in many ways was the most Winnipeg incident ever.

Hard to deny that he's a great talent, though. I mean, say what you want about him but he's an excellent singer.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Winnipeg's relationship with Burt has never been the same since that time he got bottled at Sev... which in many ways was the most Winnipeg incident ever.

Hard to deny that he's a great talent, though. I mean, say what you want about him but he's an excellent singer.
Mac's not Sev. There are three Mac's in Moose Jaw, is Burton sure of this decision?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Mac's not Sev. There are three Mac's in Moose Jaw, is Burton sure of this decision?
No, it was a sev. The incident was immortalized in the short film "Fahrenheit 7-Eleven".

And yeah, Burton Cummings is a blow hard. I was disappointed True North decided to keep the Burton Cummings name on the Walker theatre.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No, it was a sev. The incident was immortalized in the short film "Fahrenheit 7-Eleven".

And yeah, Burton Cummings is a blow hard. I was disappointed True North decided to keep the Burton Cummings name on the Walker theatre.
I am pretty sure that it was the Mac's on Cumberland.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:53 PM

^ It was the 7-Eleven at Bannerman and Main, according to the March 19, 1985 edition of the Winnipeg Free Press.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Moose Jaw is a bit of a climatic oddball. Even compared to nearby Regina, Moose Jaw is noticeably warmer. Regina & Winnipeg have pretty similar climates.

Long term averages (1981 - 2010) from Environment Canada shows the following:

Moose Jaw__ Daily Average of 4.2___ Daily Maximum of 10.4__Daily Minimum of -1.9

Regina______ Daily Average of 3.1___ Daily Maximum of 9.3__Daily Minimum of -3.2

Winnipeg___ Daily Average of 3.0___ Daily Maximum of 8.7__Daily Minimum of -2.7

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...967&dispBack=1

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...002&dispBack=0

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...698&dispBack=1
Moose Jaw is often 5-10C warmer than Regina in winter. It is really bizarre given that there is just 40 miles of flat prairie between them.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:00 PM

^ I guess when the intense heat of Maple Creek is too much for someone to bear, Moose Jaw is a reasonable compromise.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:12 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Moose Jaw is often 5-10C warmer than Regina in winter. It is really bizarre given that there is just 40 miles of flat prairie between them.
It really is a function of the hillier landscape. Moose Jaw lies in a bit of a valley which concentrates the sun a sunny day is usually a bit warmer. In Spring this means the melt happens quicker and with less snow in the area sooner it warms up a lot faster.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:27 PM

[QUOTE=Crisis;8411118]Moose Jaw is a bit of a climatic oddball. Even compared to nearby Regina, Moose Jaw is noticeably warmer. Regina & Winnipeg have pretty similar climates.

Long term averages (1981 - 2010) from Environment Canada shows the following:

Moose Jaw__ Daily Average of 4.2___ Daily Maximum of 10.4__Daily Minimum of -1.9

Regina______ Daily Average of 3.1___ Daily Maximum of 9.3__Daily Minimum of -3.2

Winnipeg___ Daily Average of 3.0___ Daily Maximum of 8.7__Daily Minimum of -2.7

Due to its location at the bottom of a valley, Winnipeg is one of the colder locations in southern Manitoba.

Just a little over an hour's drive away is Morden, Manitoba.
Daily Average of 4.0, Daily Maximum of 9.1, Daily Minimum of -1.2.

Also, Winnipeg-The Forks, Daily Average of 4.5, Daily Maximum 9.1, Daily Minimum -0.2.

I would expect that Melita and McCreary are also warmer than Winnipeg. McCreary has just had eight consecutive days above freezing, getting up to 7.2 on Friday and 9.1 on Saturday.

Winnipeg's slighter lower mean temps compared with Regina and Moose Jaw reflects that Winnipeg has a higher annual average snowfall which means early spring temperatures remain slightly colder and when there are zonal flows of mild Pacific air during the winter months, they often do not affect Winnipeg to quite the same degree as Winnipeg is that much farther to the east. Winnipeg has higher average temperatures from May through October though, which after all are the months that really count, as well as a slightly longer growing season. Alberta and Saskatchewan don't experience those sultry summer nights to the same degree as southern Manitoba. There is nothing like sitting outside late at night in the summer and being perfectly comfortable in shorts and a T.

Whatever the climate stats though, whenever you are fortunate (??) enough to bump into Winnipeggers on a winter holiday, you will overhear them half in the bag at the bar telling the locals and the American tourists that in Winnipeg it's forty below for six months of the year.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It really is a function of the hillier landscape. Moose Jaw lies in a bit of a valley which concentrates the sun a sunny day is usually a bit warmer. In Spring this means the melt happens quicker and with less snow in the area sooner it warms up a lot faster.
It's a real anomaly, drove to Calgary a couple times in late winter, early spring and the difference in temp. between Regina and Moose Jaw made no sense for such a relatively short distance. For whatever reason Moose Jaw gets the tail end of Chinooks which Regina doesn't, strange.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It's a real anomaly, drove to Calgary a couple times in late winter, early spring and the difference in temp. between Regina and Moose Jaw made no sense for such a relatively short distance. For whatever reason Moose Jaw gets the tail end of Chinooks which Regina doesn't, strange.
The CP Rail Overpass at Belle Plain seem to be the dividing line for some reason. At times there can be two totally different climates as you go from one side to the other.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
And pianist.

I was at the show the night he played at Joe's Garage preceding the Up Close and Alone tour. One set with MacLean & MacLean and one long set with just Burt and his piano. Small venue, great talent. The most enjoyable show I have been to.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:24 AM

When the venue changed its name to the Burton Cummings Theatre wasn't Burt supposed to play there once a year (or more?) for a certain period of time? I'm sure he never fulfilled that obligation.

I always found it curious that Moose Jaw has not experienced any growth in nearly 6 decades (1961-33206; 2011 - 33,274). It happens to lie along the most significant east-west corridor in Western Canada; lies within a reasonable drive of a mid-sized city in Regina and has very affordable housing (probably cheaper than Regina for added incentive). Same thing applies to Swift Current - no growth. Is industry in both these towns so stagnant that there will never be any growth there for the forseeable future?

And speaking of temperature variations between cities...despite being a 3 hour drive north of Winnipeg, Dauphin experiences winter daytime highs nearly 1.5 degrees Celsius higher than Winnipeg (ex. -10 in January in Dauphin vs. -11.5 in Winnipeg). I can only conclude that this is due to Dauphin being sandwiched between two massive mountain ranges!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:21 PM

It all has to do with topography. Winnipeg sits on a barren plain at the bottom of a valley. So it's get's a bit colder. I follow weather from the states and the National Weather Service does a good job at explaining these sorts of things. It's clearly visible on their maps that the Red River Valley is usually colder than the surrounding areas. And yes the moraines (giant mountains lol) change the weather. Did you know the moraines are the leftovers shoreline of Lake Agassiz and it's pretty dang cool.

Another area that's interesting is the Sandilands. Drive out there and it's a different climate once you get into the trees. Temps are generally warmer.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:47 PM

Edmonton is about as far north as Grand Rapids yet the average January mean temperature there is about 4 1/2 degrees warmer than Winnipeg. A cooler May through October period however results in an annual mean of 2.6°, compared with Winnipeg's 3.0°.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:08 PM

The temperature difference between Regina and MJ is much more noticeable in winter. I am convinced it has something to do with the chinooks that peter out as the sweep down form the Missouri Couteau west of MJ. Unless they are very strong they cannot make it to Regina.

This week's forecast:
W T F
Regina +2 -2 -2
MJ +5 0 +2

Last edited by Stormer; Dec 24, 2018 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:26 PM

I think it's just because of the warmth in the hearts of all Moose Javians....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:23 AM
BANNED

I felt like a piece of garbage.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:06 PM

What do you folks think of the amber alert system?

Apparently people are losing their shit because of last nights alert. It was so terrible that some people were awoken and they just can't handle it.

I'm actually quite shocked by some of the people online, who are great urbanist minded people, who are completely against receiving alerts.

I got the text, looked at it, noticed it was not in Manitoba, and moved on with my life. I also noticed the alert when it was ended. And you know what, the little girl was killed. But heaven forbid you get awoken from your precious slumber.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:11 PM

I'm sorry, but Amber Alerts in the dead of night are asinine when they're from another province. I didn't get this most recent message but I would have been annoyed if I had.

If you insist on sending a message at 3 am, the missing kid better be from Manitoba. Otherwise, where do you stop? Do we start getting alerts from New Brunswick, Alabama, Bolivia, Cote d'Ivoire any time of the day or night just on the basis that we can never be too cautious? The idea that you have to welcome totally irrelevant-to-you messages that wake you up when you're sleeping or you hate children is nuts.

If this keeps up I'm going to start shutting my phone off at night and dig up my old alarm clock somewhere in the basement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan