HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Same here. Terrific choice. Canada is a diverse land, and it's time to move beyond old white men and the Queen as totems.
I really thought that an Indigenous woman would have been chosen.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:59 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
I have to be honest, this quote literally made me lmao.
Our friend Rousseau has a thing about certain musical groups from a certain era. He can't help but drop them into discussions now and then!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 12:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I have to agree that most of the many people I know who immigrated from the Philippines are very conservative. Most of them are very pro-life, anti same-sex marriage and seem to be shocked of what Canada allows in terms of freedoms. Most of them vote Conservative and they can't stand Trudeau and Wynne.

Now their kids who were born in Canada are generally much more liberal on average.
I have to echo this sentiment. It's true of almost all Catholic immigrant communities I know. To varying degrees they tend to be significantly more conservative than Canadian-born people of Catholic origins.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 1:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
I have to agree that most of the many people I know who immigrated from the Philippines are very conservative. Most of them are very pro-life, anti same-sex marriage and seem to be shocked of what Canada allows in terms of freedoms. Most of them vote Conservative and they can't stand Trudeau and Wynne.

Now their kids who were born in Canada are generally much more liberal on average.

There's a large second-generation Filipino community in Toronto that is heavily involved in the higher end restaurant and bar industry. Like you were saying much more liberal than their parents, and tend to have very different views than newer immigrants from the country. Stark differences, really.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
There's a large second-generation Filipino community in Toronto that is heavily involved in the higher end restaurant and bar industry. Like you were saying much more liberal than their parents, and tend to have very different views than newer immigrants from the country. Stark differences, really.
There's a blurb in today's WR Record about Filipino being a "food trend" for 2017. I've only tried it once, at a place in suburban Toronto highly regarded by Filipinos, and I was not impressed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:57 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
There's a blurb in today's WR Record about Filipino being a "food trend" for 2017. I've only tried it once, at a place in suburban Toronto highly regarded by Filipinos, and I was not impressed.
To be honest I've never really had actual Filipino food! Most of the people I know of open more contemporary restaurants and just have a strong presence in the food industry.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:20 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

Philippines is a screwed up place so it only makes sense immigrants would be shocked at our relative ignorance to danger here. Everyone there must fend for themselves to survive.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I really thought that an Indigenous woman would have been chosen.
Don't worry - the $5 is getting someone new and they will almost certainly be Aboriginal.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:32 PM

^I sure hope so.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The food is shit don't let the hype train trick you. there diet is largely based on foods they couldn't export. It's marginally a step above eating street rats and wild dog. No worse struggle than being a white guy at a Filipino barbecue. Your reduced to eating foods cooked for the kids.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
You haven't much choice,its a blunder that is only gonna fester as people understand what anyone in nova scotia already knows
What is it that we already know? Honestly 0% idea what you're suggesting here.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 7:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
What is it that we already know? Honestly 0% idea what you're suggesting here.
That shes a complete anecdote in historical terms and its quite blatantly the kind of shit you get when you have people eho have educational backgrounds in marketing trying to run a country.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 9:16 AM

Quote:
That shes a complete anecdote in historical terms and its quite blatantly the kind of shit you get when you have people eho have educational backgrounds in marketing trying to run a country.
I don't think many people in NS would agree with that statement, tbh

I think you underestimate how integral African Nova Scotians* are to the general Nova Scotian identity. We feel represented by her because she is one of us. Her story is our story in a way that Laura Secord's or Bombardier's or Neil Young's or Chris Hadfield's is not.

Or to put it differently, I think that even those don't actively want a minority and/or woman on the bill (this province is one of the most left-leaning in the country) would just be happy to see a Nova Scotian on the bill. More accurately, most people here probably don't know/care enough about the issue to really have a strong opinion either way. Her story resonates across most of Canada because Canada as it exists now could not exist as it does (or would be really really fucked) if racial discrimination could still be blatantly enforced in policy.

*This has been a mainstream term here my whole life - it's not some circa 2016 SJW invention

I'm curious who you'd rather see on the bill

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 9:46 AM
BANNED

Status quo.

U.S. cultural domination will continue to increase.

We will soon be home to over 500 Walmarts, 200 Costcos, 10,000 Starbucks..

Donald Trump will continue to be the most Googled search term in Canada - even though he didn't even make top 3 in the U.S.

Our massive inferiority complex will become even massiver.

And we'll be just as economically over reliant as ever, if not more.

Oh, Canada...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Anyone who occupies a prime spot in Canada's history...

Say, if a skilled, experienced, intelligent, black female Nova Scotian with very socially liberal and very fiscally conservative policies got elected CPC leader, I'd vote for that party in the 2019 federal election in a heartbeat, I'd probably actively convince others to do the same, and would generally root for her to be PM for a long time; if after 10+ years of a majority rule from her party, she's helped made Canada markedly better, richer, and nicer compared to the changes that took place under even during our "best" PMs' reigns (the ones occupying spots on the currency), then I will be the first one to argue, in a few decades, that she should be bumping one of them from the currency. That spot would be deserved.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Anyone who occupies a prime spot in Canada's history...

Say, if a skilled, experienced, intelligent, black female Nova Scotian with very socially liberal and very fiscally conservative policies got elected CPC leader, I'd vote for that party in the 2019 federal election in a heartbeat, I'd probably actively convince others to do the same, and would generally root for her to be PM for a long time; if after 10+ years of a majority rule from her party, she's helped made Canada markedly better, richer, and nicer compared to the changes that took place under even during our "best" PMs' reigns (the ones occupying spots on the currency), then I will be the first one to argue, in a few decades, that she should be bumping one of them from the currency. That spot would be deserved.
I was speaking more in terms of options that are available

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:

As ive said before an animal or a picture. I.e. a steam locomotive representing the joining of the canadas etc.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think you underestimate how integral African Nova Scotians* are to the general Nova Scotian identity. We feel represented by her because she is one of us. Her story is our story in a way that Laura Secord's or Bombardier's or Neil Young's or Chris Hadfield's is not.

Or to put it differently, I think that even those don't actively want a minority and/or woman on the bill (this province is one of the most left-leaning in the country) would just be happy to see a Nova Scotian on the bill. More accurately, most people here probably don't know/care enough about the issue to really have a strong opinion either way. Her story resonates across most of Canada because Canada as it exists now could not exist as it does (or would be really really fucked) if racial discrimination could still be blatantly enforced in policy.

your missing the point as ive said if nova scotia had its own currency it might make sense. But every province has their special choices of who should be on the bill. The point is if anyone in nova scotia is being honest she is not more relavant to canada than our first prime minister.

Its an absolute joke of current politics and history will treat it exactly that way. We live in crazy times and this is all the proof you need.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
your missing the point as ive said if nova scotia had its own currency it might make sense. But every province has their special choices of who should be on the bill. The point is if anyone in nova scotia is being honest she is not more relavant to canada than our first prime minister.

Its an absolute joke of current politics and history will treat it exactly that way. We live in crazy times and this is all the proof you need.
Isn't John A just getting switched to a different bill though?

I get your point - you think it's needless pandering and a sign of the majority caving in to minority demands. I just happen to disagree. Ultimately she is "more relevant to Canada" than the vast majority of Canadians have been, over the years.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Isn't John A just getting switched to a different bill though?

I get your point - you think it's needless pandering and a sign of the majority caving in to minority demands. I just happen to disagree. Ultimately she is "more relevant to Canada" than the vast majority of Canadians have been, over the years.
Yes, John A. is getting switched to a higher denomination bill as is someone else. But the two war-time PMs they're replacing are out which makes no sense since they played a huge role in the development of our country. These changes are 100% politically driven to cater to a super small special interest group. Our currency already has a lot of women pictured on them. If you want a woman to be prominently displayed then take the Queen off of the $20. You would have WAY MORE support for this than what is being proposed. Take her off of the coins as well.

If it was up to me I wouldn't have identifiable people on any of our currency. Just use landmarks, animals, etc. Have multiple versions of each bill if that is allowed. I know it is for coins.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada