HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 1:45 PM
Man on a mission

Thanks for the info Chris. It helps to remember that the Council memebers sometimes have a much broader view than our own limited scope, but they still need to play by the rules.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 12:41 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.butcher View Post
My understanding was that the Tom Sawyer Diner was a "filler", approved by Council, until a better project could be put together.
Yep, exactly. THANK GOD LOL

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:22 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...s_reaches.html

Decline in home sales reaches midstate

by DAN MILLER, Of The Patriot-News
Friday April 11, 2008, 12:01 AM

The Associated Press
Foundations for new homes are seen in the foreground in January as construction of new homes fell in 2007 by the largest amount in 27 years.

The nationwide housing slowdown that took hold in 2007 might be showing up in the midstate, but statistics present a picture that's not easy to interpret.

In the first quarter of 2008, the number of homes sold dropped 21.6 percent from the first quarter of 2007. It was the lowest first quarter for home sales since 2003. And for the first time since the national slowdown took hold last year, the average price of a midstate home sale has dropped, by 1.2 percent compared with the first quarter of 2007.

What makes the numbers confusing, however, is that the median price -- the midrange of the highest and lowest prices -- rose by 3 percent compared with the first three months of 2007.

These numbers come from the Central Penn Multi-List, which tracks housing sales. The organization says 1,453 homes were sold in Cumberland, Dauphin, Perry and northern York counties.

In late 2006, Ryan Sweet, an associate economist with Moody's Economy.com, predicted housing prices wouldn't fall in the Harrisburg area. Since then, economic conditions across the nation have gotten worse than experts anticipated.

"The Harrisburg housing market is in the midst of a correction. The labor market in Harrisburg is slowing, and job growth is on the verge of stalling," Sweet said.

Those factors, coupled with tighter lending standards nationwide, mean "demand has fallen more than what we expected," he said. "You will see prices decline."

Sellers and buyers have changed their attitude in recent months, said Frederick Briggs, a manager and associate broker of Prudential Thompson Wood Real Estate in Hampden Twp.

"Sellers were believing the market was the same as a year or two ago, and buyers were wondering why there was no change in price. Now, sellers are starting to recognize they've got to be more realistic in their price, and buyers aren't going to be able to steal," Briggs said. "There has to be some negotiating process. We believe it's coming very close to where the market value really is."

Homes took longer to sell in the midstate in the first quarter, continuing a gradual trend that began last year. The average length of time to sell a home after it was listed -- market days -- grew to 74, a level not seen consistently here since 2002.

The average price fell to $182,028, a 1.2 percent decline compared with the same period in 2007. In past years, the report has used the average price as an indicator of the housing market's health.

The numbers offer one bright spot for sellers. The median price for homes sold in the midstate -- $164,870 -- was 3 percent higher than in the first quarter of 2007.

Nationwide, the average price of $241,900 for an existing home sold in February was down 7 percent from a year ago, according to the National Association of Realtors. The national median sales price was $195,900, an 8.2 percent drop from February 2007. The association doesn't have full data for the first quarter of 2008 available.

The national association typically places greater emphasis on the median price, but the median and average prices are typically similar, said Walt Molony, a spokesman.

Considering falling sale prices in other areas of the country, "I am pleased that prices in the south-central Pennsylvania area are holding steady," said Kay Hock, the president of the Greater Harrisburg Association of Realtors, which owns the Central Penn Multi-List.

Hock and other observers acknowledge tighter lending standards as a factor in slowing conditions here, but not a big one. Credit tightening has probably reduced the number of first-time buyers who can qualify for homes, Hock said.

The bigger factor appears to be an oversupply of housing on the market. This puts downward pressure on housing prices because sellers face more competition.

Peter Gorski, a Hampden Twp. investor who buys homes from people who are facing foreclosure or want to get out for one reason or another, estimated that about 4,900 homes are on the market in Cumberland County -- almost double the number of a year ago.

In some cases, sellers are setting their prices below what they might have received previously in an attempt to avoid the haggling now seen as inevitable.

Jim Deitrick and his wife, Kerry, made improvements over the nine years they've lived in their 1,600-square-foot home near Central Dauphin High School. The house was freshly painted to go with hardwood floors, a new kitchen and lighting fixtures. The couple didn't have to sell but wanted more space for their three children.

Jim Deitrick said the house, sitting on two-thirds of an acre, sold at the listed price in "the mid-200s" within three days. "My thought was if I go with a higher price, I will probably end up negotiating down," he said. The couple are to settle in May on a new, 3,000-square-foot home in Lower Paxton Twp.

A house selling in three days isn't the norm now, said Kathy Sumski, the Deitricks' real estate agent with RE/MAX Realty Professionals. She said the key was the house's good condition and its price compared with those of similar homes on the market.

"You can't have that fluff range we used to have. You have to price it on the money," Sumski said.

Eventually, as excess inventory gets bought up and fewer homes are on the market, the downward pressure will ease, and prices will begin to rise, Hock said.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:06 PM
Man on a mission

Spot dogs to go on Sale at Commerce Bank Park. It is nice to see that he hasn't totally faded away. The story is on the front page of the Patriot News State and Local section, but not available online that I can see.

He'll also offer "the Rendell" : "A 5 1/4 ounce sirlion burger marinated in Greek Dressing and loaded with lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, swee peppers and melted Swiss Cheese, served on a pretzel roll"

Cholestorol and carb loaded just like its name sake. hehehe

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:38 AM

Midtown Office Building still on for summer start

This is in today's version of the Patriot News. I wondered when this project was actually going to start, as Power's cleared the land about 3 or 4 months ago. This sheds a bit of light on things. When this project gets going, I'll get some pics up, as it is only one and a half blocks from my apartment on Third Street.

State loans money to midtown project
The Patriot-News April 24, 2008

The state will loan $1.75 million to help fund construction of a mixed-use office building in midtown Harrisburg.

The loan is to Powers & Associates LLC, developers of the Campus Square Building at Third and Reily streets. The 70,000-square-foot building is to have retail on the first floor and about 48,000 square feet of office space in the upper floors.

The building is also slated to become the new home of the Midtown Cinema. Powers plans to acquire the existing theater site at 215 Reily St. This building is to be torn down to be used as temporary parking until a parking garage can be built.

Powers hopes to start building Campus Square this summer, with completion anticipated within 14 months.

Campus Square is a $12 million project, said Matt Tunnell, senior vice president of Powers & Associates. Besides the state loan the remainder of the building is being funded through bank financing and private equity.

The state loan comes from a $3.5 million allocation that the state approved to Powers in 2007 to support the company's overall midtown development project. This $1.75 million is Powers' first draw on this $3.5 million, Tunnell said. The company has not yet determined how the rest of the loan money will be applied in midtown.

Among Powers & Associates' other midtown development projects is the $17 million Harrisburg Area Community College campus, located across from where Campus Square is to be built.

Tunnell said Powers estimates that tenants at Campus Square will create up to 200 jobs within a year of the building opening. He could not announce any tenants today.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:04 AM

Construction photos - Harrisburg U Tower

Although no one has specifically requested this, I thought some members of the thread might enjoy seeing a few construction photos of the Harrisburg University Tower at the corner of Market and Fourth Streets, in the city. These were taken Saturday, April 26, 2008 and here are the links for the photos.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2405/...98dfd8f3_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/...ae527f0a_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/...537bde43_o.jpg

Last edited by chris.butcher; May 2, 2008 at 2:29 AM. Reason: Links not inserted into post correctly

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 6:21 PM
Man on a mission

Very nice, thanks for the updates. I posted a bunch earlier in that buildings construction.

In other news. I am pleased to say that the housing (rental) market is still strong in the Harrisburg area. I had a unit open up and it was rented in 9 days with a 12% increase in the rent from the open unit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:13 PM
HERO

good to see the housing market is still strong in harrisburg, it seems to be that way in much of Pa, atleast the areas im familiar with. maybe its time for a residential building to be built and replace 333 market as the top building, dont ya think? itd be nice if some company at least took the inititive and made a proposal for it. i doubt it would be a bad investment

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 10:00 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Although no one has specifically requested this, I thought some members of the thread might enjoy seeing a few construction photos of the Harrisburg University Tower at the corner of Market and Fourth Streets, in the city. These were taken Saturday, April 26, 2008 and here are the links for the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26093377@N05/2451134444/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2609337...7604784135216/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2609337...7604784135216/
Cool pics, thanks! I like the bottom and the top...the middle is a little "eh" IMO.

Plompy Lfeata, I agree and have said the same for years. But I'm sure the city would find a way to f it up so bad the developer backs out...you know, like always.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 12:47 AM
Man on a mission

Plompy Lfeata

I have long term plans to build something in or near the CBD, but at the moment I don't have enough assests to swing a deal.

I tried to do a 12 unit renovation in midtown about a year and half ago. I couldn't get the funding. At the moment I think that there is more money in commercial real estate than residential. Probably much lower risk too considering current residential markets.

That all being said now would be the time to start planning a building so that on the next upswing in the market you could capitalize on it. I would concentrate on the $200k to $300k market which is around the average price of condos and townhomes in the area. At least one space of off street parking would be a requirement. Preferably below grade.

If you want a new Harrisburg's highest you'll probably need to do a mixed use space. (Its all the rage now anyhow) Maybe retail or resturant on ground floor, 5-8 floors of office, and the remaining to be residential. If you are going to build a new highest I think you'd need to make it signicantly higher than 333 Market so that it was noticably different in the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Very nice, thanks for the updates. I posted a bunch earlier in that buildings construction.

In other news. I am pleased to say that the housing (rental) market is still strong in the Harrisburg area. I had a unit open up and it was rented in 9 days with a 12% increase in the rent from the open unit.

I also own apartments. I had one of my units open up last month. (first time in 3 1/2 years) I posted it on craigslist and had over 25 people call about it on the first day. I was amazed and at the same time disappointed that I didn't buy more units when I had a chance. Just about everyone I spoke to said it is hard to find a really nice place close to downtown. I raised the rent $150 and had people offering to pay more. I had a GREAT new tenant move in the following week.

I also noticed the old Reese funeral home on the 900 blk of 2nd St is being turned into Victorian Condos!! What ever happened to the Market st loft condo project. I have been by the site several times and haven't seen any activity.(condo project across the street from Atomic Warehouse)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:32 AM

Taller than 333 Market St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plompy Lfeata View Post
...maybe its time for a residential building to be built and replace 333 market as the top building, dont ya think? itd be nice if some company at least took the inititive and made a proposal for it. i doubt it would be a bad investment
Actually, you might recall that there was a proposal for a 20 or 30-story condominium building on the current site of the Harrisburg U Tower, downtown. This was about 2 or 3 years ago. While that building might not have been taller than 333 Market Street, it would have been close. Unfortunately, the developers altered and then withdrew the project. I am uncertain as to whether or not the withdrawal of this condo was related to Harrisburg U and the Mayor's desire to have it in the CBD, but I'd bet it was.

Anyone else remember the condo proposal I'm talking about?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:55 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Actually, you might recall that there was a proposal for a 20 or 30-story condominium building on the current site of the Harrisburg U Tower, downtown. This was about 2 or 3 years ago. While that building might not have been taller than 333 Market Street, it would have been close. Unfortunately, the developers altered and then withdrew the project. I am uncertain as to whether or not the withdrawal of this condo was related to Harrisburg U and the Mayor's desire to have it in the CBD, but I'd bet it was.

Yep, sure do, and I mentioned it pages back actually. Politics as usual killed that deal and it is no coincidence to me that HBG U is where that was going to be.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:33 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmidtown View Post
I also own apartments. I had one of my units open up last month. (first time in 3 1/2 years) I posted it on craigslist and had over 25 people call about it on the first day. I was amazed and at the same time disappointed that I didn't buy more units when I had a chance. Just about everyone I spoke to said it is hard to find a really nice place close to downtown. I raised the rent $150 and had people offering to pay more. I had a GREAT new tenant move in the following week.

I also noticed the old Reese funeral home on the 900 blk of 2nd St is being turned into Victorian Condos!! What ever happened to the Market st loft condo project. I have been by the site several times and haven't seen any activity.(condo project across the street from Atomic Warehouse)
I too wonder what happened to the project. I thought that the renovation of that building could kickstart that whole block. Maybe Financing has run out? The lofts were overpriced? Are the Reese Condo's underconstruction? Do they have off street parking? I might be interested in buying one to live in.

There is some blighted property near my house that is standing empty on the 500 block of 2nd street. PM me midtown. It would need a MAJOR renovation. I think they could probably be purchased at a low enough price that they could make a good investment. Another area of intrest is some of the closer Allison Hill properties along Market. Lots of speculation in that area. It is the small time inverstors such as yourself and I that are changing the neighborhoods of Harrisburg one property at a time. Fortunes are here to be made. Would you mind me asking where you own property? I am on the 600 block

I only upped my rent by $75 maybe I was too conservative. Since I've moved in I've done a couple of renovations to the property. Mostly stuff that was defered maintenace from PO's (who doesn't paint the basement windows in 98 years? They were dryrotted and fell apart)

Another bit of information. The former site of the Spot has a building permit in the window and the space has been gutted. I would upload the picture of the permit I took on my camara, but my photo site is now blocked at work. Check back and I'll add the link tonight.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:52 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Yep, sure do, and I mentioned it pages back actually. Politics as usual killed that deal and it is no coincidence to me that HBG U is where that was going to be.
someday he won't be there anymore. I suspect that day is closer than some might think.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:01 AM

pre HBG Uni proposal..

Quote:

Here is the press release from that project.

25-STORY, $100 MILLION RESIDENTIAL-OFFICE-RETAIL TOWER ANNOUNCED FOR HARRISBURG
Harrisburg, PA – Mayor Stephen R. Reed today announced that plans are proceeding to construct a 25-story residential, office and retail tower on what is now a surface parking lot on the northwestern corner of North 4th and Market Streets.

The 800,000 square foot complex, expected to cost over $100 million, will create 500 construction and permanent jobs and will be a major new addition to the city’s growing skyline.

Reed said a key component will be 90 luxury condominium units in the top floors, commanding a panoramic view of the downtown and area.

The Mayor said the project is called The Residence and will include one floor of retail space, two floors of mixed retail and commercial space, 11 floors of parking for 1000 cars, 4 floors of Class A office space, 5 floors of residential units, and the complex will be inter-connected to Strawberry Square to allow ease of access to additional retail.

Reed said The Residence is designed to be the city’s most prestigious building, with contemporary amenities that include a world-class restaurant, luxury spa, superb architecture, quality materials, concierge services, private residents’ lounge, a state of the art health and fitness center, children’s play area, 24-hour security and an ultra modern building access and video surveillance system are also planned.

Each condominium includes high ceilings, private entry, balconies, and a courtyard for residents’ use. They will accord privacy, seclusion and unparalleled service and yet be within easy walking distance of major amenities and attractions in the downtown.

“There is a strong market for middle and upper income housing in the city, including in the downtown. The Residence helps address this need,” Reed said.

“The Residence will be unlike anything Harrisburg has ever seen,” said the Mayor, “and will instantly become one of the region’s most distinctive business and residential addresses.”

The Mayor reported that site control already exists as a result of an option agreement to purchase the land from the Pennsylvania State Employees Retirement System.

The leasing office will open soon. Additional design work will take 8 months and subsequent construction will require 6 to 18 months. Groundbreaking will occur in the second quarter of 2005 and the new tower should be ready for occupancy in the Fall of 2006.

Reed said The Residence will be developed by the renowned local partnership of the Phoenix Development Group, which includes Pascotti Realty, Reynolds Construction and the Flynn Group. Pascotti Realty is owned and operated by Tony Pascotti, the former president of the Bysis Insurance Company, who has since become a major midstate commercial developer. Pascotti is joined by Rick Reynolds and Reynolds Construction Company, which has become one of the midstate’s most respected and prodigious major construction contractors. In the partnership is noted midstate developer Tom Flynn of the Flynn Group, who currently maintains a portfolio of more than twenty commercial, retail and light industrial buildings across Central Pennsylvania.

Also partnering in the project is noted midstate developer Francis McNaughton of the McNaughton Company, one of the midstate’s oldest and most experienced commercial and residential developers and builders. Architectural services for The Residence are being provided by Murray Associates Architects, whose principal architects on the project will Benedict Dubbs and Michael Frye.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:23 AM

Young gun's question.

Young gun. To answer your question I own apartments on the 1000 blk of
2nd. I bought the property 5 years ago and have had really good luck w/it. I've put a lot of money into the place. All new appliances/up-dated light fixtures pergo and tile floors. My units have central air and off street parking a HUGE PLUS! Over the years other multi-family properties within a few blks of mine have been up for sale but none of them were as nice as mine and they were all over priced. I looked at a couple properties in a scary part of uptown last year and even considered trying to flip a property outside of the city. I am kind of glad that I didn't due to the current housing market. How long have you owned your place/have you had good luck w/it??

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:23 PM
Man on a mission

I have owned my property for 2 and a half years now. I am on the 600 block of 2nd. It is one of the nicer buildings on the block. Definately the fairest price. I seem to never find a realistic price point for the rent. I constantly up the rent each time a unit opens and it is rented within days. This time it took 8 days to find a tennant from the time it was advertised. I have invested about $15k into the place since I bought it. I have put in new windows in basement. Still need another new basement window, but it is at the front of the house so I need to go to HARB. I have put new appliances into the one unit. I'll replace the other units appliances when it opens up. I have hardwood floors throughout the unit so that stays nice. I have done a lot of repainting. Monthly rent has increased ~600 since I purchased it.

Future improvements include adding dishwashers to each unit (seems to be biggest desire of prospective tennants), adding electric heat to get off of city steam. (<-big time cost savings) I would like to add central air, but at the moment I don't want to put that sort of money into the place because the return seems to be really low. I wish I had off street parking, but that just isn't in the cards. The market for downtown living is good enough I don't think it is required to get good rent.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:09 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmidtown View Post
Here is the press release from that project.

25-STORY, $100 MILLION RESIDENTIAL-OFFICE-RETAIL TOWER ANNOUNCED FOR HARRISBURG
Harrisburg, PA – Mayor Stephen R. Reed today announced that plans are proceeding to construct a 25-story residential, office and retail tower on what is now a surface parking lot on the northwestern corner of North 4th and Market Streets.

The 800,000 square foot complex, expected to cost over $100 million, will create 500 construction and permanent jobs and will be a major new addition to the city’s growing skyline.

Reed said a key component will be 90 luxury condominium units in the top floors, commanding a panoramic view of the downtown and area.

The Mayor said the project is called The Residence and will include one floor of retail space, two floors of mixed retail and commercial space, 11 floors of parking for 1000 cars, 4 floors of Class A office space, 5 floors of residential units, and the complex will be inter-connected to Strawberry Square to allow ease of access to additional retail.

Reed said The Residence is designed to be the city’s most prestigious building, with contemporary amenities that include a world-class restaurant, luxury spa, superb architecture, quality materials, concierge services, private residents’ lounge, a state of the art health and fitness center, children’s play area, 24-hour security and an ultra modern building access and video surveillance system are also planned.

Each condominium includes high ceilings, private entry, balconies, and a courtyard for residents’ use. They will accord privacy, seclusion and unparalleled service and yet be within easy walking distance of major amenities and attractions in the downtown.

“There is a strong market for middle and upper income housing in the city, including in the downtown. The Residence helps address this need,” Reed said.

“The Residence will be unlike anything Harrisburg has ever seen,” said the Mayor, “and will instantly become one of the region’s most distinctive business and residential addresses.”

The Mayor reported that site control already exists as a result of an option agreement to purchase the land from the Pennsylvania State Employees Retirement System.

The leasing office will open soon. Additional design work will take 8 months and subsequent construction will require 6 to 18 months. Groundbreaking will occur in the second quarter of 2005 and the new tower should be ready for occupancy in the Fall of 2006.

Reed said The Residence will be developed by the renowned local partnership of the Phoenix Development Group, which includes Pascotti Realty, Reynolds Construction and the Flynn Group. Pascotti Realty is owned and operated by Tony Pascotti, the former president of the Bysis Insurance Company, who has since become a major midstate commercial developer. Pascotti is joined by Rick Reynolds and Reynolds Construction Company, which has become one of the midstate’s most respected and prodigious major construction contractors. In the partnership is noted midstate developer Tom Flynn of the Flynn Group, who currently maintains a portfolio of more than twenty commercial, retail and light industrial buildings across Central Pennsylvania.

Also partnering in the project is noted midstate developer Francis McNaughton of the McNaughton Company, one of the midstate’s oldest and most experienced commercial and residential developers and builders. Architectural services for The Residence are being provided by Murray Associates Architects, whose principal architects on the project will Benedict Dubbs and Michael Frye.
Man, what could have been...

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:26 AM

Since the last set of images of the Harrisburg University Tower were so well received, I've decided to post my latest images of the Pennsylvania Judicial Center. This building is really coming along with the stone facing going up very quickly.

Here are the links:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/...1dc4d956_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2281/...89ae7e1c_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/...a516a4ca_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2387/...27b4bb7f_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/...236c07a7_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/...2d7ba64e_o.jpg

I think this building is going to be a great addition to the Capital Complex. It also fills in the last "open space" in the complex, except Soldiers Grove. I think we can all agree that development on The Grove should never take place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations