HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:23 PM
somewhere in-between

Another brewery is set to open on the West Side - Dexter-based Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales - their sixth location now -

Quote:
Brewery opening taproom on West Side
Ehren Wynder | GRBJ
March 15, 2018

A brewery is opening a new restaurant and taproom on Beer City’s West Side. Dexter-based Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales will host the grand opening of Jolly Pumpkin Pizzeria & Brewery on March 22 at 11 a.m., at 428 Bridge St. NW, right across from New Holland's Knickerbocker Brewpub. Jolly Pumpkin’s West Side taproom is over a year in the making...
...and a $4.2 million mixed-use project called Hudson Center broke ground in Hudsonville Thursday. Nice to see a little density in the suburbs, but boy, is it ever bland! Maybe that is because they plan to have it open by this August. Here is the site today (3424 Chicago Drive). This new building is considered an anchor in the city's "Imagine Hudsonville 2030" master plan to create a more pedestrian-oriented downtown, which is actually a pretty neat idea on its own. It will be adjacent to a recently-constructed pedestrian plaza and farmers market.

Quote:
Developer building $4.2M project in suburb
Ehren Wynder | GRBJ
March 14, 2018

A developer is constructing a $4.2-million, mixed-use building in the downtown core of a Grand Rapids suburb. Zeeland-based Geerlings Development said yesterday it will break ground tomorrow on the three-story Hudson Center in Hudsonville, at 3424 Chicago Dr. The project should be completed this August. The Hudson Center building will feature stores and a restaurant on the ground floor, offices on the second floor, apartments on the third floor and a pair of elevators. Each floor will have 8,400 square feet, and the total building will be more than 25,000 square feet...
The biggest (partial) rendering I found, which I enlarged a little -

Source: GRBJ

Here's an aerial rendering from the master plan. Lifestyle center-ish -

Source: Imagine Hudsonville 2030

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:25 AM
somewhere in-between

Construction updates from around town, taken 3/19/18. I tried to cover most of the bigger projects.

Warner Building / Hyatt Place Hotel -

The AC Hotel -

Studio Park -

Bonus: Veolia Energy Steam Plant. The windows were blown out in the winter when a boiler exploded. They are still boarded up -

601 Bond -

Embassy Suites -

601 West -

Bonus: a small apartment conversion across the street from 601 West -

Meijer's Bridge Street Market Development - Urban Grocery w/ apartments above -

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:58 PM
somewhere in-between

Grand Rapids area will be getting a second HopCat. This one will be at 2183 East Beltline Ave. NE, (Knapp's Corner Celebration Village). It will open this fall, and be the 7th Michigan location and 17th overall for the 10-year old company, BarFly Ventures.

Quote:
HopCat to open second Grand Rapids location
Bryce Airgood | MLive
March 19, 2018

GRAND RAPIDS, MI - HopCat will open a second location in the company's hometown of Grand Rapids this fall, parent company BarFly Ventures LLC has announced. The 6,150-square-foot restaurant at 2183 East Beltline Ave. NE will be located at Knapp's Corner in the Celebration Village development. The building, which will undergo extensive renovations, will seat 250 people and have an outdoor dining area that can accommodate another 70 people, according to a BarFly Ventures news release...

Source: MLive | Courtesy BarFly Ventures LLC

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:12 PM
somewhere in-between

Grand Rapids / West Michigan may be getting a 1,000,000+ SF Amazon distribution center for groceries. The area being considered is in Gaines Township, south of the city and south of M-6, near the airport, at the corner of 68th St SE and Patterson Ave. It is basically farmland today. The property is currently owned by Steelcase, which has a wood furniture fabrication facility to the west of this lot. If it goes through, a zoning change would be required. It is on the agenda for discussion at the township's planning commission meeting on 3/22.

Quote:
Sources: Amazon in talks for distribution center in Kent County
Nick Manes | MiBiz
March 18, 2018

GAINES TOWNSHIP –– Developers representing an online retail behemoth are considering a 100-acre site in southern Kent County for a “massive” distribution facility, MiBiz has learned. Applicant Project Rapids — who multiple sources familiar with the plans say is a developer representing Amazon.com Inc. — is requesting an amendment from Gaines Township that would allow it to build a sprawling warehouse and distribution center on undeveloped land currently owned by Steelcase Inc...

Source: MiBiz | Courtesy Rendering

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:06 PM

I looked into the AC Hotel redevelopment and check this out...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...ll_add_to.html

This was what the building below looked like before the cladding was removed.

Now this is more like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Construction updates from around town, taken 3/19/18. I tried to cover most of the bigger projects.

The AC Hotel -

There's a lot of projects that I like that are going on in GR I had to post a before pic to go along with the stripped down current version. Good looks on yesterdays construction update Vu well done

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 10:59 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
This was what the building below looked like before the cladding was removed.
Wow. I had no idea. Makes me wonder if there's any more left like that in the area. The new (unclad) version is definitely better, imo. This project does seem to be moving slowly. In fact now that I study the photos, there's no activity at all. Not sure what the holdup is, or if any amount of interior work is happening, but it's surprising to me that most of the windows are still boarded / blocked up.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 7:02 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

It's my understanding they only have definite plans for one of the buildings.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 3:07 AM
somewhere in-between

Construction work has begun on the terminal apron at GRFIA. This is a $30 million project focused on making repairs to the general area where aircraft are parked, refueled, loaded, etc. It is part of the larger overhaul that the airport has been getting over the past few years as it positions itself for more planned expansions in the future.

Quote:
Ford airport in Grand Rapids starts $30 million repair project
Associated Press, via Crain's Detroit Business
March 27, 2018

Gerald R. Ford International Airport in the Grand Rapids area has started work on a $30 million project to repair the area where aircraft are parked, loaded and refueled. Construction on the terminal apron at the airport will be completed in seven phases over two years to allow for adequate gate space for air carriers as the busy summer travel months approach. Construction started this week, the airport said...
This photo, from the article / Facebook, doesn't have anything to do with the immediate area of work, but I thought it was a nice shot of the airport nonetheless -

Source: Crain's Detroit Business / Facebook

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:05 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Franklin Partners puts North Monroe industrial building on the market
Nick Manes | MiBiz
April 13, 2018

GRAND RAPIDS — The owner of a 370,000-square-foot vacant industrial building north of downtown Grand Rapids has decided to put it on the market. A subsidiary of Grand Rapids- and Oak Brook, Ill.-based real estate firm Franklin Partners LLC wants to sell the former Display Pack Inc. building at 1340 Monroe Ave. NW to someone who will redevelop it for the right uses, according to executives at the firm and an offering memorandum for the property. The 8-acre site is located on the east side of North Monroe Avenue just north of Leonard Street...
This is a huge building, in an area of the city seeing big reivestments with projects like the Embassy Suites and 601 Bond right down the road. The building is in good condition, and is quite massive. Franklin Partners bought it in 2015 for $7 million. No listing price is being given, they are expecting national interest and want to see what the market produces for offers. FYI, Frankln Partners is also involved in the new office tower compoent that will comprise one part of the mulit-use Studio Park site, south of Van Andel Arena.

Source: Google Maps

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:30 AM
somewhere in-between

Gerald R. Ford Int'l Airport continues its trend of positive, record-setting growth -

Quote:
Ford airport reports best-ever month
Justin Dawes | GRBJ
April 17, 2018

Last month was the busiest month in the history of Gerald R. Ford International Airport. Ford airport saw 298,487 total passengers in March. March 2017 was previously the busiest month in the airport’s history, with 256,880 total passengers. The high numbers also resulted in the busiest first quarter ever...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:34 AM
somewhere in-between

NIMBYs in East Grand Rapids are challenging Spectrum Health's plans to construct a $30 million parking ramp for Blodgett Hospital -

Quote:
Spectrum, EGR debate parking issue
Blodgett Hospital wants to replace old ramp, but residents say initial plans compromise historical area’s character.
Justin Dawes | GRBJ
April 13, 2018

Efforts by Spectrum Health to begin a $30-million parking structure project at Blodgett Hospital are being challenged by East Grand Rapids residents...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 5:59 PM

Excellent pics... keep up the good work sir.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:27 PM

Great updates!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:17 PM
somewhere in-between

Thanks.The office and residential markets in Grand Rapids continue to remain strong, and we can expect high construction activity to continue in the city. Lots of things still in the planning pipeline.

I just noticed that within this MLive article, there was a link to an earlier-posted gallery including several more renderings for 100 Ottawa SW (the 7-story office portion of the $140 million Studio Park development). Interesting to note that the photo caption indicates this building will feature 0 interior columns, allowing for increased flexibility of the floors. This first one was posted on here before - the others weren't.

Source: MLive | Courtesy Wright Heerema Architects

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 22, 2018 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:31 PM
somewhere in-between

Thought some others on here would find this interesting. I stumbled across a recently-posted video on youtube with some high-quality aerial day and night drone footage of the city. The footage must be pretty recent - guessing earlier this year, because the Studio Park work near Van Andel has not started yet. The night shots especially are amazing. Go full screen for the best viewing experience. Kudos to TAPP Channel for creating and posting this.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:35 PM
somewhere in-between

And here's some drone footage of the Grand Castle project in Grandville, taken in March 2018. Such a bizarre project, this. Not sure whatever came of the MIOSHA investigation, publicized in January.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 6:51 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Why are the windows so tiny?

It looks like Count Dracula's Motel 6

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 7:28 PM

Is that... A parking garage... around the whole thing?

Why was this ever approved?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 3:23 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Why are the windows so tiny?

It looks like Count Dracula's Motel 6
I've had the same thought. I think it mostly comes down to money and cheapness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

To your first question, yes, it's a huge parking deck. Massive. To your second question, I still have no clue. Very little about this project makes sense.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

I guess the parking garage kind of serves as a moat in a way? If thats not one of the gaudiest buildings built in the USA in the past decade or two, I don't know what is.

On the other hand, I really like the design for 100 Ottawa SW.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations