HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralGrad258 View Post
Definitely a handsome addition to South Broad St. It seems to have a vaguely Art Deco feel about it.
I think it looks great, and will be such a game-changer for the area. I just can't wait to hear about any retail. It's such a challenging market for commercial real-estate, and this building has a lot of it. It's going to be depressing if the building opens up with little or no first floor retail.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

For me, besides that big white thing, those windows have a real industrial Art Moderne look to them. Looks good. Looks like one of nearly hundreds in Chicago, but looks good.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 2:08 AM
Buildings that Inspire~

Snapped a few pics of the site today

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gingivitis View Post
I think it looks great, and will be such a game-changer for the area. I just can't wait to hear about any retail. It's such a challenging market for commercial real-estate, and this building has a lot of it. It's going to be depressing if the building opens up with little or no first floor retail.
I wouldn't worry about retail too much. If Blatstein can fill-up the Piazza at 2nd and Germantown, I'm sure Danoff will manage to find occupants for a much smaller building on one of the city's main thoroughfares.

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralGrad258 View Post
I wouldn't worry about retail too much. If Blatstein can fill-up the Piazza at 2nd and Germantown, I'm sure Danoff will manage to find occupants for a much smaller building on one of the city's main thoroughfares.
I hope you're right, but look at 1352 Lofts on South Street, they've got one space rented out of about 10.

Blatstein has rented out places on the cheep to fill them up with galleries, and they have the mass and fact that it's a destination.

I hope to hear something soon. It sounds like the Neil Stein restaurant fell through, I know Starr has an interest in the area...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:53 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Dranoff will probably have no problem fielding offers. However, the retail he expects for his clientele and the retail looking to move into his building may be two completely different things...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:05 PM

Incase you missed it, there was a big article in the Inquirer last weekend about 777 South Broad:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/63465917.html

Good stuff, no mention of any specifics for commercial.

There was also a hard hat tour last night, but I just found out about it today. Did anyone get to it?

I miss Brad Maul, he would have been there with camera in hand if he wasn't on his way out the door.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:38 PM

Those rents seem astronomical given the location...i can't imagine why anyone would pay those...for $3,800/month you could get a sick pad anywhere in the city...in locations that aren't sandwiched between a Hess and a Sunoco and across the street from a Popeyes.

Is this just hubris on the part of Dranoff?

If this place fills up, it just shows you the level of demand for rental units in the city, and would lead me to wonder why more rental only buildings/mid-rises/skyscrapers are not in the works.

Either way, i hope Dranoff is successful, the hint within the article is that he'd like to Blatstein-ize this area of south broad with quite a bit of redevelopment.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Those rents seem astronomical given the location...i can't imagine why anyone would pay those...for $3,800/month you could get a sick pad anywhere in the city...in locations that aren't sandwiched between a Hess and a Sunoco and across the street from a Popeyes.

Is this just hubris on the part of Dranoff?

If this place fills up, it just shows you the level of demand for rental units in the city, and would lead me to wonder why more rental only buildings/mid-rises/skyscrapers are not in the works.

Either way, i hope Dranoff is successful, the hint within the article is that he'd like to Blatstein-ize this area of south broad with quite a bit of redevelopment.

I'd love to see it more Blatstein-ized. Broad and Washington could be an amazing location for something like the Piazza, but straddling The Avenue of the Arts.

Prices seem insane to me too, but I assume he knows the rental market better than I do, so I guess we’ll see.

And I think being across the street from Popeyes is an amenity! The gas station does have to go.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 8:19 AM

from here: http://www.planphilly.com/dranoff-ch...h-broad-street

Drexel Students to LEED the Way in Greening 777 South Broad

Carl Dranoff challenges interior design students at Drexel to turn 777’s hospitality suite into a luxurious, eco-conscious living space

PHILADELPHIA—October 2, 2009—This fall, undergraduate interior design students at Drexel University will embark on a term-long challenge to design the ultimate green living space for the hospitality suite at Dranoff Properties’ LEED-registered 777 South Broad. With seven residential and mixed-used projects under his belt, Dranoff is now passing the baton to Drexel’s students, calling on them to write the next chapter in Philadelphia’s urban renewal chronicle.

During the challenge, groups of students in Professor Debra Ruben’s Competition Studio class will compete against one another to design a space that meets standards in sustainability, function, and budget. Ruben is a LEED AP and head of Drexel’s Interiors Program sustainability curriculum.

Dranoff Properties will install and assemble the winning design in the hospitality suite, ready for the opening of 777 South Broad in Spring 2010.

“As we finish construction on 777 South Broad, we wanted to make sure we didn’t miss a single detail in our goal to blend urban luxury with sustainability,” says Carl Dranoff, Founder and President of Dranoff Properties. “Who better to partner with in that effort than Drexel, an institution close to my heart, but more importantly, a school boasting some of the nation’s brightest students, best design and engineering programs and a unique, campus-wide green initiative. It’s my pleasure to share my vision for livable, walkable, sustainable communities with the minds of the future, and incorporate their fresh perspectives and creative ingenuity into Philadelphia’s residential landscape.”

Students will be divided into five groups of three. They will be required to apply their knowledge of sustainability, light, space, and human needs to design the two-bedroom, 1,100 square-foot suite on a $15,000 budget. Students will source green products, including furniture, accessories, household appliances, bedding, linens, lighting, electronics, and so on. They will incorporate these products into their designs, research their environmental impact, and contact manufacturers for availability.

Winners will be announced in December.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:28 PM

This project is really looking good.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the update, Parkway! I have high hopes for 777's retail spaces, there is such great potential here for a destination restaurant. They're going to have some of the best sidewalk seating in the city!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Hopefully 777 will spawn the densification of one of the least-dense stretches of Broad Street in the city!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 11:34 PM

Any word on what is going in 777 yet?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 12:04 AM

Sure has been quiet around here...

No date stamp on this article but it seems to be very recent as far as I know. Not much of an article but it has a few photos. Opening scheduled in March 2010!

From: http://planphilly.com/777-south-broad-street-nearly-complete

Quote:
777 South Broad Street Nearly Complete

At Broad and Fitzwater, you will find one of the few large-scale development projects in Philly that is nearing completion. It's 777, the latest in urban boutique living brought to you by Dranoff Properties. The development, which is slated top open in March of 2010 promises loft living at a smaller scale than Dranoff's nearby Symphony House, and will be outfitted with the latest in green design technology. It will also include the usual Dranoff amenities, such as a fitness center, clubroom, and roof deck.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:46 PM

Just heard the rumor that 3 of the commercial spaces had letters of intent, one of which is an Indian Restaurant!!! If true that would be great, and surprising news!

Also heard 15 of the apts had been leased.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 11:20 PM
Chairman

Now you have me thinking Butter Chicken.

None the less this is definitely a great addition to this area of Broad Street.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 12:30 AM

I hope it's primarily a vegetarian Indian restaurant...that would be awesome, something serving South Indian food, perhaps. Not only would it fill a niche, but it could also piss off the meatheads of Philly.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

New Pictures (as of Friday, 2-19-2010):

Behind it lies the rowhomes on the site of the former MLK Projects.

There is a little bit of cladding yet to be installed in the back.

Other than that, it's nearly finished. Also, I think it's already having a beneficial effect on that part of South Broad: there are two other buildings within the blocks between it and South that are undergoing renovation:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 12:09 AM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Thanks for the pics.

Didn't I hear that Gamble bought the empty corner lot next to the popeye's to be a surface lot for Gamble and Huff employees? If so, what a waste of a perfectly good space around there.

I like 777 south broad a lot. It's really ballsy to build such a high end place in that little area, but it can only improve what's around it. I just wonder if anyone is going to want an apartment that isn't a north, west, or courtyard view. If the retail options and other amenities in the building are nice, then I'm excited for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive