HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:31 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
It is sad to see the Natural Grass Field disappear in Edmonton but the facts are there. Colder climate equals high costs to maintain. Plus with the Grey Cup 2010 there you don't want the crappy surface. In comparison with Soccer I think soccer is more of a natural grass rather then artificial, not to mention we don't play soccer in winter... Unless that's a new idea.
I 've played outdoor soccer in the winter, in Edmonton. You just use a bright orange ball like in snow golf!

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:55 PM

my ideal cfl would be 12 teams including quebec city, moncton, halifax, and ottawa. with more teams the tv monies would be smaller for each team but if the league could maybe have 2 networks broadcast instead of just tsn they might get more money and another way of getting more money is selling the naming rights to the grey cup ala welcome to the tim hortons grey cup ect..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:47 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Could both Moncton AND Halifax support teams though?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:00 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

That would probably be pushing it.

Then again, the stadium sold out in a little over a day for the game this fall in Moncton. I think you'd have to start with one and gauge support afterwards for adding a second.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:02 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Could both Moncton AND Halifax support teams though?
Why not? Saskatchewan's population isn't that much more than Nova Scotia's by itself and the Riders do fine.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 6:05 PM
Dont let the name fool u

Personally for selfish reasons I hope the CFL stays (becomes) a 10 team league. I think that would be ideal. I love the fact the league is small and you get to play each other often. But also it's incredibly easy to follow every team and player. Sometimes I feel I barely know some of the teams in the NHL because I never see them play.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 6:27 PM

I think a 10 team CFL would be kick-ass.

But if it ever becomes popular enough to warrant even more growth, I am all for it.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 7:11 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
Why not? Saskatchewan's population isn't that much more than Nova Scotia's by itself and the Riders do fine.
I suppose. New Brunswick has a population around that of Winnipeg. I mean really, there's no real reason that they couldn't both support a team. But then that would raise the question why doesn't BC have two teams? I'd think with smaller stadiums both Vancouver and Surrey (or maybe Abbotsford) could support teams.

My thinking is that one Maritime team should suffice for the time being. Its not like people from Saskatoon don't drive to see the Riders play in Regina. I'm certain this would happen if either Halifax or Moncton got a team. It would have to be a team named for the region (IE: Atlantic Schooners) in order to not alienate the other provinces around.

Mind you, I'm still in support of American expansion...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 3:24 PM

Quote:
I suppose. New Brunswick has a population around that of Winnipeg. I mean really, there's no real reason that they couldn't both support a team. But then that would raise the question why doesn't BC have two teams? I'd think with smaller stadiums both Vancouver and Surrey (or maybe Abbotsford) could support teams.

My thinking is that one Maritime team should suffice for the time being. Its not like people from Saskatoon don't drive to see the Riders play in Regina. I'm certain this would happen if either Halifax or Moncton got a team. It would have to be a team named for the region (IE: Atlantic Schooners) in order to not alienate the other provinces around.

Mind you, I'm still in support of American expansion...
I think we're forgetting how small the Martimes is. There are quite a few people packed into a pretty small area. 1,831,256 people is more than enough to support two CFL teams. If we're just talking about cities. The population of the tri-city region of Southern New Brunswick (Frederiction, Saint John, Moncton) is about 350,000 and Halifax is a little over 400,000

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:20 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTOKO View Post
I think we're forgetting how small the Martimes is. There are quite a few people packed into a pretty small area. 1,831,256 people is more than enough to support two CFL teams. If we're just talking about cities. The population of the tri-city region of Southern New Brunswick (Frederiction, Saint John, Moncton) is about 350,000 and Halifax is a little over 400,000

No offense to Halifax or anything, but speaking from a strictly geographical stand point, Moncton would seem the logical choice for a CFL team.

That said, using the logic of 1,831,256 is more than enough to support two CFL teams, then Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver should all have two teams. In theory thats enough to support two teams, but reality doesn't lend itself well to that theory. Case in point, Toronto barely supports the Argos.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 7:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Using the logic of 1,831,256 is more than enough to support two CFL teams, then Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver should all have two teams. In theory thats enough to support two teams, but reality doesn't lend itself well to that theory. Case in point, Toronto barely supports the Argos.
The issue with Toronto is that they are so wrapped up in the concept of being a "world city" that a lot of people there think the CFL is too bush for them, it's the NFL or bust.

This is flawed thinking, especially given that the Canadian game is inherently more exciting than the American product. The larger more open field and one less down equates to a more wide open and exhiliarating game where shifts in momentum can happen on a minutes notice. The American game is boring.

In any event, Torontonians think the CFL is beneath them. Cities like Moncton or Halifax however would think of a CFL franchise as yet another indication that their city has "made it" to the big leagues.

It's all about civic pride.........

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:38 PM
Youth of a Nation

STADIUM PROJECT TO BE ACCELERATED
$137.5 million to be invested, construction slated for this summer;
opening 2012 CFL season

Winnipeg, Manitoba, March 31, 2010 – Premier Greg Selinger and Mayor Sam Katz today joined Ken Hildahl, Chair, Board of Directors of the Winnipeg Football Club, David Asper, Executive Chairman of Creswin Properties Inc. and University of Manitoba President, Dr. David Barnard to announce a plan to accelerate construction of a new community-owned football stadium at the University of Manitoba.

Beginning this summer, Creswin will construct the $115 million facility with an opening in time for the 2012 CFL and Bison football seasons. An additional $22.5 million will be invested in fitness facilities at the University of Manitoba.

The Province will provide bridge financing, which will be fully repaid by Creswin as part of the transfer of team ownership. This financing will be secured through property taxes generated from the new retail development on the site of the existing stadium, subject to City Council approval. The Winnipeg Football Club will support the bridge financing through capital revenue sources at the new stadium such as naming rights and suite licenses.

The bridge financing plan supports all previous agreements including the Community Interest Agreement (CIA) which guarantees community ownership of the stadium and the team's home in Winnipeg, in perpetuity, and the Access Procedure Agreement to ensure community and university student use of the new stadium.

“This plan provides the foundation that is needed to move this project forward,” said Premier Selinger. “Building the stadium now significantly reduces the long term cost, creates an immediate stimulus for our economy, and provides a lasting asset for the university and the community .”

As originally proposed, the new stadium will include 33,000 seats (expandable to 40,000+), overhead protection for 80% of fans, enhanced concessions and washrooms, 40 private suites, a permanent Hall of Fame and an inflatable bubble for use in winter months.

“Bomber fans have let us know loud and clear that it’s time this project be brought to fruition,” said Mayor Katz. “I believe this investment will have a major positive impact on our city and this plan provides us with the revenues we need to make it happen.”

“The development of retail on our existing site and our agreement with Creswin Properties will provide the economic engine to sustain the Winnipeg Blue Bombers into the future,” said Ken Hildahl.

“Our mission from day one,” said David Asper, “has been to create a new stadium that deals directly and completely with making it a place where the fans can enjoy the games with modern and comfortable amenities. We’ve never wavered from the goal and I’m happy to say that, with today’s announcement, Bomber and Bison fans are going to get what they have long deserved.”

The University of Manitoba also continues with its original plan to construct a new fitness centre on campus, supported by $15 million from the Government of Canada and $5.0 million from the Province. Subject to City Council approval, the City will provide $2.5 million for the fitness centre, which will be available to students and the general public.

“The new stadium development continues to be an important and exciting development at the University of Manitoba,” said Barnard. “I look forward to being at the opening kick-offs of the first Bison and Bomber games there in 2012.”

The total project at the University of Manitoba will create an estimated 2,425 person-years of employment and $19.6 million in provincial tax revenues from construction.

“It’s exciting news that all the parties are coming together to build what will become the home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, one of our oldest and proudest franchises,” said CFL Commissioner, Mark Cohon. “The timing is very appropriate. The Bombers are celebrating their 80th anniversary, and the stadium is expected to be ready for 2012, when football fans across Canada will celebrate our 100th Grey Cup game. This is a display of confidence in the future of our league and the communities in which our teams play.”

-30-

For further information, please contact:
Jay Branch, Province of Manitoba. Tel: 945-1494
Brad Salyn, Office of Mayor. Tel: 986-4003
Darren Cameron, Winnipeg Football Club. Tel: 784-2583
John Danakas, University of Manitoba. Tel: 474-8551
Barbara Biggar, President, Biggar Ideas. Tel: 883-2699

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:40 PM
Youth of a Nation

Bombers to get new stadium for 2012
Manitoba helps fast-track construction with $90M loan
Last Updated: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 | 12:05 PM CT Comments111Recommend61
CBC News

The new stadium will accommodate 40,000 seats and have an inflatable dome during the winter.The new stadium will accommodate 40,000 seats and have an inflatable dome during the winter. (Blueandgold.ca)

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will be playing in a new stadium in 2012 and host the Grey Cup within five years of that opening date.

The provincial government is contributing $90-million in bridge financing to fast-track construction of a $137.5-million development on the University of Manitoba campus.

'This will be a first-class facility.'—Premier Greg Selinger

The project includes a $115-million football stadium, while $22.5 million will be spent on fitness facilities for amateur athletics.

Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger announced the financing arrangement at a press conference Wednesday morning at Canad Inns Stadium, the Bombers' present home on Maroons Road in the city's Polo Park area.

"This will be a first-class facility," Selinger said, noting shovels will be in the ground this summer.

"This plan provides the foundation that is needed to move this project forward. Building the stadium now significantly reduces the long-term cost, creates an immediate stimulus for our economy, and provides a lasting asset for the university and the community."

Canad Inns Stadium, built in 1953, would require an estimated $52 million to upgrade.Canad Inns Stadium, built in 1953, would require an estimated $52 million to upgrade. (Google Street View)

Speculation has been building about fast-tracking the project after Selinger recently revealed the current stadium at Polo Park would need about $52 million in upgrades over the next decade.

He had also suggested that putting money into the aging facility might not make sense, like trying to keep an old car going with constant repairs.

"It's done," Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz said about the old stadium at Wednesday's press conference.

Canad Inns was built in 1953 and seats 29,533. The new stadium will have 33,000 fixed seats but be able to accommodate 40,000 for major events like the Grey Cup — which will be held in Winnipeg by 2017, Selinger also announced.

There will also be 40 private suites and a Hall of Fame for the club.

The bubble on the proposed new stadium would resemble this covering on a stadium at Harvard University in Boston.The bubble on the proposed new stadium would resemble this covering on a stadium at Harvard University in Boston. (Photo courtesy blueandgold.ca)

The stadium will be built on an eight-hectare site at Chancellor-Matheson Road and University Crescent on the U of M campus. An inflatable dome will cover the field in winter so university teams can use it during the CFL off-season.

In addition to the stadium, the site will feature a multiplex athletic facility for the university and its Bison sports teams.

It will include a refurbished university stadium and new fitness centre.

The proposal for the stadium and related facilities was first announced in April 2009 by Winnipeg business magnate David Asper, who agreed to pay $100 million towards the project and take ownership of the team.

In return, the federal government pledged $15 million — for the amateur sport component of the facility — and the Manitoba government offered up $20 million.

It all hinged on the successful development by Asper's real estate company, Creswin Properties Ltd., of a ritzy retail plaza on the site of Canad Inns Stadium.

The inflatable bubble would cover the field in the winter, enabling its year-round use.The inflatable bubble would cover the field in the winter, enabling its year-round use. (Photo courtesy blueandgold.ca)

Once financing was in place for the retail development, dubbed The Elms, the current stadium would come down and the new one would go up.

But plodding progress on The Elms was putting the new stadium project in doubt. The original groundbreaking was supposed to happen in February 2010 with a projected opening in summer 2011.

Asper was granted a one-year extension on the deal in September after he blamed the bruised economy for impacting his ability to find retailers willing to commit to The Elms.

The bridge financing announcement means the stadium development will proceed as soon as possible.
An end to community ownership

Asper has until 2016 to pay off the bridge financing. If he does, he will take ownership of the team, which has been community-owned since it was founded in 1930.

A former Blue Bombers board member, Asper has been trying since September 2006 to buy the team.

The stadium itself will remain community-owned in perpetuity.

If Asper fails to pay off the $90 million, the football club will remain community owned and the loan will be paid back by the province and city, Selinger said.

Property taxes generated from The Elms will be used to do that, subject to the council approval, he said.

Asper is confident the The Elms development will now pick up speed because potential retailers can be given a more concrete date about when they can move in.

"We were in a chicken-and-egg situation," he said.

"We couldn't tell them when we were going to take down the stadium because we didn't know when we were going to occupy the new stadium, and therefore we couldn't tell them when they could occupy the stores."

''With today’s announcement, Bomber and Bison fans are going to get what they have long deserved.'—David Asper'

The financing commitments the federal and provincial governments originally made to Asper last year remain in place.

Of its $20 million grant, which does not have to be paid back, Manitoba is providing $15 million for the stadium and $5 million for the fitness centre, which will be available to students and the general public.

The city will also provide $2.5 million for the fitness centre, subject to approval from council.

"Our mission from Day 1 has been to create a new stadium that deals directly and completely with making it a place where the fans can enjoy the games with modern and comfortable amenities," Asper said at the press conference.

"We’ve never wavered from the goal and I’m happy to say that, with today’s announcement, Bomber and Bison fans are going to get what they have long deserved."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...#ixzz0jnJU63Go

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 1:44 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
No offense to Halifax or anything, but speaking from a strictly geographical stand point, Moncton would seem the logical choice for a CFL team.

That said, using the logic of 1,831,256 is more than enough to support two CFL teams, then Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver should all have two teams. In theory thats enough to support two teams, but reality doesn't lend itself well to that theory. Case in point, Toronto barely supports the Argos.
Smaller cities have less competition for the entertainment dollar, so that line of thought doesn't follow. You do need a minimum population base, and the Roughriders are proof that it's possible in a metropolitan area of only 200,000 provided you have a football centric population.

When analyzing the potential for pro football in the Maritimes, one really needs to ask oneself where one has a large enough population base. Halifax is big enough, but Moncton is not. One also needs to determine whether these populations can be cultivated into football hotbeds, or whether they are already football focused populations. The answer is yes in both Halifax and Moncton.

Arguing that Toronto (population 6 million) can barely support the Argonauts offers no valuable insights as far as whether Moncton and Halifax will. Regina (population 200,000) is testament to that.

What's important is having a sufficient population base and determining whether the population has an affinity for football. The answer is yes on both counts for Halifax. Moncton's drawback is a small population base. It's unproven whether such a small city can successfully host a CFL team, but they could conceivably still support a team.

A CFL team in either of these cities would instantly be the biggest deal in both cities. My only reservation is that I'm a college football fan first. A CFL team in Halifax would be stiff competition for that province's 3 college football teams. For me, the growth of football at Saint Mary's, Acadia, and St. FX takes precedence over the growth of pro football in the Maritimes. Football also just returned to Dalhousie University for this up coming season. It's only a club team, but testament to the interest in football in this part of Canada.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 1:53 AM

Give Kelowna a team. It's a 4 hr drive from Vancouver, with a population of just under 200,000. With Vernon 30 mins north (60,000) and penticton 30 minutes south (30,000) its perfect.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 2:02 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
Give Kelowna a team. It's a 4 hr drive from Vancouver, with a population of just under 200,000. With Vernon 30 mins north (60,000) and penticton 30 minutes south (30,000) its perfect.
Agree, but we need to get Ottawa done first.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 7:50 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree, but we need to get Ottawa done first.
Baby steps!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 7:51 PM
Youth of a Nation

7 of 8 CFL teams under 2009 salary cap
< Return to Article

April 06, 2010

SEVEN OF EIGHT CFL TEAMS ARE UNDER 2009 CAP
Winnipeg Blue Bombers face a fine but no team will lose a draft pick

TORONTO -- Seven of the league's eight teams were under the Canadian Football League's $4.2 million salary cap for 2009, the league announced today.

"The final results of a comprehensive audit and review process show a high level of compliance with the Salary Management System (SMS)," said Commissioner Mark Cohon.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers exceeded the salary cap by $44, 687 and have been fined $44,687.

Under the provisions of the SMS, set by the league's Board of Governors, teams are fined one dollar for every dollar they exceed the cap up to 100,000 dollars, and two dollars for every dollar they exceed the cap between 100,000 and 300,000 dollars, plus the loss of the team's first round draft pick. Teams are fined three dollars for every dollar they exceed the cap beyond $300,000 and they lose their first two draft selections.

The salary cap for the upcoming 2010 season has been set at $4.2 million per team.

As no team exceeded the cap in 2009 by more than 100,000 dollars, the order in the May 2nd 2010 CFL Canadian Draft is not affected. It remains, for the first round:

1. Toronto Argonauts
2. Saskatchewan Roughriders via a trade with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
3. British Columbia Lions
4. Saskatchewan via a trade with the Edmonton Eskimos
5. Hamilton forfeits this pick by virtue of choosing Weber State Offensive Lineman Zac Carlson in last year's supplemental draft.
6. Calgary Stampeders.
7. Winnipeg via a trade with Saskatchewan
8. Montreal Alouettes

"All of us in the Canadian Football League are confident about the future, but we recognize that we need to be prudent if we are to overcome the challenges, and seize the opportunities, before us," Cohon said.

"With seven of eight teams under the 2009 cap, and the Bombers working diligently over the course of last season to reduce their potential overrun, it's clear our teams recognize this need."

source

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 8:27 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

$4.2 million is a very reasonable salary cap. I don't know anything about football, but I'm assuming this is for the entire team and not individual players? I so, that'd be an average salary of about $60,000 per player for the Alouettes (based on a count of the team roster from Wikipedia).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 4:57 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
$4.2 million is a very reasonable salary cap. I don't know anything about football, but I'm assuming this is for the entire team and not individual players? I so, that'd be an average salary of about $60,000 per player for the Alouettes (based on a count of the team roster from Wikipedia).
The roster isn't 70... that's way too high. I think it's something like 46 with 6 practice Roster spots... and I think gameday you can only dress 42 players... injuries can complicate the count though. I could be off on those numbers, but 70 is definitely way too high.

Your count could include a lot of players Montreal has recently signed, but will be released in training camp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada