HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

One Pacific in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 1:54 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^Could be. There might outdoor patio spaces that the residents share on top of each sky bridge.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 2:51 PM
BANNED

I don't think anyone here knows what spandrels are. How can there be spandrels with no arches? Anyway this is what I think those glass panels look like up close:

from the Patkaus' pics of their Grande Bibliotheque du Quebec in Montreal:
http://www.patkau.ca/project/gbq.htm

Last edited by amor de cosmos; May 9, 2008 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
I don't think anyone here knows what spandrels are. How can there be spandrels with no arches?
We Vancouver forumers are experts on spandrels unfortunately.

From Wiki:

Quote:
In a building with more than one floor the term spandrel is also used to indicate the space between the top of the window in one story and the sill of the window in the story above. The term is typically employed when there is a sculpted panel or other decorative element in this space, or when the space between the windows is filled with opaque or translucent glass, in this case called spandrel glass.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 7:37 PM

Yeah, in the traditional sense, spandrels are the panels between floors - buit is now used to refer to any opaque panel of glass.

Doubt they would be sunscreens (like 999 Seymour), as they would have to travel on a curved track - and that's just asking for problems.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 8:49 PM

I like the colorful facade. It will add color to that area which does have a positive connotation of being an entertainment district. The location is left to be desired - I would feel squeezed in if I lived in those condos.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
These towers will really depend on the materials used to make it work.
If TV Towers is an indication, they may pull it off "reasonably" well.

Looking at the siteplan, there is a lot of open space around (esp. for the west towers) - they don't crowd the site (typical of Concord leaving views) - the towers are really like single curved slabs and the curves mean that views are opened up.

Also just realized - that could be office space in the first few floors above the podium - where the glass is clear and there are no balconies. That would be nice and would provide customers for retail in the area.

Quote:
Mixed Use Development - 47 NELSON ST
To rezone the portion of False Creek North Area 5B which is west of the Cambie Bridgehead, from BCPED to CD-1, to allow two residential towers, 28 and 30 storeys, with retail and other commercial uses at the lower levels. A floor space ratio of 7.0 is proposed and maximum building height of 300 feet. Council approved in May, 2007 that such an application could be considered concurrently with the Northeast False Creek High Level Review which is underway. (West half of proerty addressed as 10 Terry Fox Way)

Interesting note - if you look at the building closer to BC Place, the straight edge of the podium accommodates the Smithe Street extension (to/from the Cooper's Neigbourhood). That leaves a bit of land (and the decommissioned Terry Fox Way) that can be consolidated with the BC Place edge lands for larger development sites. Of course, that assumes that the map is to scale - which it may not be.

Old Waite Air Photo of the sites:

Last edited by officedweller; May 9, 2008 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
We Vancouver forumers are experts on spandrels unfortunately.

From Wiki:
ah. I didn't read the Wiki thing carefully enough.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:29 AM

FYI: the bridges on the double towers will be consider floating penthouse I gather it will offer views to both side of the units south and north face.
That is what the sales person at Concord pacific stated a month ago when she spilled the beans on this one, I expected on double tower not two, however this is truly unique and very welcome as a beacon to the Cambie bridge entrance.
correction actually it would reflect by its location as the views will aim west and east from the floating penthouses, "from sunrise to sunset your home rest among clouds " neat motto

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Why does Concord Pacific insist on enveloping Vancouver in kitschy architecture?

More over, why do Vancouverites embrace these substandard designs with open arms.

Oh well, I'll add it to the project list.

I could not have said it better. People in Vancouver have absolutely no taste. The city has a long history of this. Just look around. Unfortunately, most of the towers going up will be here for decades. Sadly, just look at 10 year old CP properties....most are already looking like they were poorly built crap from the 50's. I am shocked that most everyone here thinks that this CP rendering is good architecture. I mean, you are right.....kitschy for sure. Good design?.......NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good design ALWAYS stands the test of time. Will this? So far, CP has failed. Doesn't anyone care what this city looks like???

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhattan View Post
Good design ALWAYS stands the test of time.
true that.

i liken cp to these shit houses. ubiquiteous, bland, mass-produced, etc... they had a chance to really do sth nice for the neighbourhood, but nope... they had to be selfish.

although i hafta say the rendering of these twin towers really appeal to me.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 3:35 AM

Well for those with such high standard of finesse in design, I would highly recommend this type of building compare to the slew of buildings built in the late 50's and 60's such as the Sears complex on Hasting and the Vancouver Sun building on Cordova and even worst the building at Georgia and Thurlow north side made to crush the living daylight of anyone passing by with its imposing concrete to no end.
So CP built a raffia of complex in Yaletown, still better than 100 years of trains hangars and wood mills pollution.
Anyone seen what is being built in overcrowded city as of late, its not what I need to feast my eyes upon.
better ideas, become architects and built them than we can all blame you in turn for your lack lustered vision.
this is at this point far nicer to live and reside than what was once envisioned in the mid 70's and 90's
I do not live in Yaletown, yet it is much nicer to stroll by any day than the area of New West fraser land west of Lonsdale quay where on can walk almost a mile with no coffee shop nor proper restaurant, totally dead.
My two bit

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 6:02 AM

What's the official height and the storey count for these towers? We should update the title of this thread.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 4:50 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure of the final heights or even # of floors on this project. It's been on the back burner for years now so I imagine plans have probably changed at least a couple of times in that period. They called for a small floorplate of only 5500sqft per tower, they are also only 30ft apart (standard is 80ft).

Some interesting things about the original proposal which hopefully carry forward are.

• re-introducing the urban forest with large fir trees planted around the site, the forest would not be dense.
• the underside of the viaduct would be up-lighted and used for public art.
• a waterfall idea over glass with lighting and shadow on the underside of the bridge would be included and create a respite for people on their way to the water.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 6:13 PM
BANNED

i counted ~28-30 stories in the rendering

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
• re-introducing the urban forest with large fir trees planted around the site, the forest would not be dense.
• the underside of the viaduct would be up-lighted and used for public art.
• a waterfall idea over glass with lighting and shadow on the underside of the bridge would be included and create a respite for people on their way to the water.
These are all very cool ideas hopefully they are built as this is a very much a 'gateway' location.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 2:41 AM

I don't think there's room on the site for a lareg planting anymore. The previous siteplan had two large plazas.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 12:22 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Why does Concord Pacific insist on enveloping Vancouver in kitschy architecture?

More over, why do Vancouverites embrace these substandard designs with open arms.

Oh well, I'll add it to the project list.
amen

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:19 PM

Does anyone know when construction on this project could start?

I don't relish the idea of a bunch of cranes/construction materials being in such close proximity to an important Olympic venue come 2010.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 6:52 PM

I don't think iot has been "approved" yet despite the title of the thread.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 7:48 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I wouldn't expect any movement till after Oct/08. They would wait until after the NEFC high level review before proceeding. I would be surprised though if they waited till after the games, I would imagine it as an 09 start.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver