HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:14 PM

l'm positive they will vote for it.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
I wish Silverstein would just make wtc2 and 3 mixed use, they would have so much less lease space to worry about. I don't know if it's possible, but I know that other towers downtown have converted offices to residences.

Residential currently not allowed on Port Authority property, although they are flirting with the idea for the site of tower 5 (there is some technicality there). But that isn't the answer, and it's not why the original WTC complex was built, nor is it the reason it's being rebuilt.

They have decided to not repeat the process of original WTC construction, which took years before the towers were filled. If you are going to build to market demand, that takes time. 10 msf is a lot to absorb at once, even for New York. I'm sure Silverstein will get tenants for the towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:58 PM
weidncol

Looks like they are preparing for construction...

(Click for larger image)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Looks like they are preparing for construction...

(Click for larger image)
How do you figure that?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 9:15 PM
weidncol

All the materials on the roof is quite a big hint. They may just have that up there to be prepared for when it gets the go, however.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
All the materials on the roof is quite a big hint. They may just have that up there to be prepared for when it gets the go, however.
Gotchya. I wasn't sure if those were new additions or not.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:11 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2014/...t-more-delays/

TALKING POINT: W.T.C. needs Port support, not more delays

March 27, 2014
BY DAVID STANKE

Quote:
The Port Authority is on the brink of ensuring that the World Trade Center will be restored some 17 years after its complete destruction. This is not a bold accomplishment, and given the history of indecision and misdirection, it should also be no surprise that the Port is about to blink.

If the Port provides a loan guarantee to Silverstein Properties Inc., the developer will proceed with the construction of W.T.C. 3 and in a few years, the site will have three completed office buildings, three contiguous blocks of retail attached to an iconic transportation hub, and the economic and spiritual center of Lower Manhattan will be fully operational (although still not complete).

If the Port blinks, the W.T.C. will be mired with two stalled buildings and segmented retail.

The P.A. is debating whether to expand an existing loan guarantee for S.P.I. on W.T.C. 3 to $1.2 billion, about one half the cost of the building. In exchange, Silverstein would pay interest and fees to the Port, increase equity in the building to $500 million, and give the authority a foreclosure option. Under best circumstances, the P.A. will earn fees for the guarantee and lose nothing. Under worst circumstances, they will get a $2-billion, architecturally-significant building with an anchor tenant in the best location south of 35th Street for 50% of the cost. Silverstein would suffer an intolerable loss of both their equity and $500 million in insurance proceeds, under this scenario.

The loan guarantee would ensure that the site would be largely functional within four years, leaving just one office tower and the cultural center on hold. Connections with surrounding buildings and communities, and three blocks of retail would be open. It would ensure that, 17 years after the destruction of the W.T.C., the spiritual center of Lower Manhattan would be back. Better late than never.

Often there are divisions at the Port between appointees of New York and those of New Jersey, but in this case, two New York appointees are battling, according to the New York Times. While Scott Rechler, the Port’s vice chairperson, is negotiating these guarantees with S.P.I., another board member, Kenneth Lipper, opposes the plan because of the risk it adds to the authority’s financial position and because he wants the P.A. to invest in a bus terminal modernization in Midtown. And so it is with the Port. Words come out one side, contradictory words come out another.

The W.T.C. was the target of a direct attack on the continental U.S. by foreign enemies, but the obligation to restore the site is considered by Lipper to be just a “patriotic gesture” and a “vanity project.” Excuse me sir, but to neighbors of the site, rebuilding the W.T.C. is a moral obligation of this country— the Port Authority’s moral obligation.

As a residential neighbor of the W.T.C., I am in favor of accelerated completion of the site.

The loan backstop is a good financial bet. While there is office space available in surrounding buildings, there are regular announcements of companies interested in making the move Downtown, Time Magazine being the latest. As properties become available, they will fill, because the rents are competitive and the facilities will be first class.

W.T.C. 3 will not be available for 4 years, by which time the current space nearing occupancy should be largely occupied: W.T.C. 1 is already 55% occupied while W.T.C. 4 is 60% full. For reference, W.T.C. 7 has 1.7 million square feet and was empty when it was completed in 2006 but was 100% leased at high rates by 2011, at a time when the rest of the W.T.C. was still a stagnant wasteland.

Completion of W.T.C. 3 will remove uncertainty concerning future construction. The Westfield Group has indicated that it will not take the W.T.C. 3 retail space until the tower is complete, delaying another $150 million payment to the P.A.
The removal of uncertainty will be a major selling factor for both the P.A. and Silverstein as they market available office space.

The loan guarantee benefits New Jersey as well as New York. New Jersey residents will have expanded job opportunities in New York with convenient and efficient transportation. Peripheral businesses, both commercial and residential, will thrive across the Hudson River.

The states of New York and New Jersey have already mismanaged the reconstruction of the W.T.C. by approving excessively expensive plans, by delaying action.

The governors may not like the current position, but we are in it because of their predecessors. Getting W.T.C. 3 built will help cover 13 years of mistakes. Pulling back now will simply expose the P.A. to the full weight of the previous excesses.

Government in some way subsidizes all private enterprise; it’s just that some get more subsidies than others. The question is, whose friends are going to get subsidized and how? S.P.I. has operated under the reverse subsidy (i.e. penalty) of P.A. indecision and inaction for too long. The loan guarantee is just balancing the ledger.

Perhaps, Gov. Christie is against W.T.C. development because it will compete with projects across the river, or maybe he just wants to punish somebody. The scope of pettiness within the decision-making corridors of the P.A. have been completely exposed by the George Washington Bridge scandal.

Ironically, the P.A. was originally given the site because it could accelerate development of a new commercial center to revitalize the then stagnant Downtown. Now, it should be pretty clear to the casual observer that the Port Authority can’t execute in a reliable, predictable, manner. It is the Great Oz. Sounds emanate from behind the smoke and mirrors. But we in the audience never really know who is behind the sound. We are prisoners of obscurity in a Downtown interrupted.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 10:52 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

More stuff on top:

As of March 28th, 2014 (7 PM EST)...

EarthCam

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
More stuff on top:

As of March 28th, 2014 (7 PM EST)...

EarthCam
Looks promising, but has anyone considered the possibility that this stuff might just be for capping the rebar to prevent corrosion, as was already done with T2? If so we could be in for even more delay.

I hope I'm wrong, but this latest kerfuffle with the Port Authority doesn't sound good... it's reopening issues that we all thought had been resolved years ago.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:07 AM
weidncol

Most of the stuff up there appears to be material for scaffolding and rebar. I would assume it's material to prepare for construction again, but that's just a wild guess. Once the cranes arrive, we'll know it's official.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:26 PM
World Machine

The article a few posts above says it all . . . now it's just a matter of wait-and-see. For what it's worth, my thought is to simply keep the momentum going. Look forward to hearing the result of the vote.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:15 PM

Lipper is infuriatingly shortsighted. Does he not appreciate the context of the situation? I'm not against modernizing Midtown bus terminals, but now is not the time! Silverstein worked hard and smart to secure a sufficiently large anchor tenant for 3WTC only weeks before the deadline, and Rechler devised a brilliant plan that allows the Port Authority to grant Silverstein the final piece of the puzzle with no loss to their establishment.

We're so close, and this vote will either unravel the tapestry or mend one of its largest holes.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:23 AM
weidncol

McGraw Hill to depart namesake tower in move to lower Manhattan http://www.northjersey.com/news/busi....PCyq3Anv.dpuf

Quote:
McGraw Hill, which has been in the 52-story Midtown tower since it was completed in 1972, will depart by the end of next year, according to the earnings call.
Quote:
The inquiries into a potential relocation to the World Trade Center site or Hudson Yards, the Related Cos. development on the far west side, are in early stages and a commitment may be at least a year away, according to the people with knowledge of the matter. McGraw Hill would want at least 750,000 square feet at wherever it moves, one person said.
Quote:
At the World Trade Center site, the company is focusing its interest on 3 World Trade Center, where developer Larry Silverstein is seeking additional tenants to join British advertising firm GroupM Inc., according to the person.

Silverstein is in negotiations for a government guarantee to help him finance the skyscraper, which would be the third at the lower Manhattan site.

Bud Perrone, a Silverstein spokesman; Joanna Rose, a spokeswoman for Related; and Robert McGrath, a spokesman for CBRE Group Inc., which is representing McGraw Hill, declined to comment.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
...a commitment may be at least a year away, according to the people with knowledge of the matter. McGraw Hill would want at least 750,000 square feet

The WTC is always in play...someone will eventually stick...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...essure-on-port

Robust leasing downtown puts pressure on Port
Figures showing a sharp drop in the amount of office space available downtown seems to buttress the case for one more tower to be built at the World Trade Center site

Daniel Geiger
April 1, 2014

Quote:
The first quarter office-leasing numbers in Manhattan are in, and at least one real estate executive says they provide evidence the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey should go ahead and pony up expanded financial guarantees for a gargantuan new office tower at the World Trade Center.

According to data from Colliers International, the availability rate downtown, which is the amount of space presently vacated combined with space that is expected to be vacant over the next year, shriveled to 14.4% in the first three months of the year, from 16.1% a year earlier. The drop was the largest of any office market in Manhattan and was driven by a major uptick of leasing downtown, according to Joseph Harbert, president of Colliers International’s eastern region operations.

Rents rose in lower Manhattan in the period by 10.6% to $50.25 per square foot on average.

The drop in availability comes despite major amounts of empty space downtown, with huge vacancies at Brookfield Place, the large office complex on the western edge of the financial district, at the World Trade Center site and also at a host of other buildings including 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza. It is those vacancies that have spurred concerns over whether the Port Authority should provide a $1.2 billion financial guarantee for 3 World Trade Center, a 2.8 million-square-foot skyscraper that developer Larry Silverstein wants to raise at the site.

Brookfield Properties, the owner of Brookfield Place, has moved to fill many of those holes, bringing in a subsidiary of the Drug Enforcement Administration in recent weeks and also larger tenants like law firm Jones Day.

Mr. Harbert feels the neighborhood’s strides provide evidence that at the end of the years-long process it will take to raise a building of the magnitude of 3 WTC, the market will be strong enough to absorb its millions of square feet of new space. Already, Mr. Silverstein has a leasing commitment from the media and advertising company GroupM to take roughly 500,000 square feet at the property.

“Companies are increasingly moving downtown because their workforce lives in Brooklyn and New Jersey and so lower Manhattan is an incredibly convenient location for them,” Mr. Harbert said. “We’re right at the cusp where average rents downtown have risen high enough where tenants won’t mind paying the premium for new office space like 3 World Trade Center.”

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:18 PM

From all the pro construction articles that l read l would imagine that the pressure is building for the PA to approve the funds.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post
From all the pro construction articles that l read l would imagine that the pressure is building for the PA to approve the funds.
Score one for the good guys!

---

My morbid curiosity leads me to ponder the consequences of an unfavorable outcome in the PA vote. Will Silverstein simply nullify the GroupM lease and sit on his hands indefinitely? Will he fund the construction out of his own pocket? Does he have another potential guarantor up his sleeve?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 6:13 PM

I'll turn on the red light for the biscuit in the basket when I see a photo-op of a PA potentates mugging with up 175 and 200G's newly secured anchor tenants and one of those multi-figure gimmick checks per.

Last edited by JayPro; Apr 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:18 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of April 5th, 2014 (4PM EST)...

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post
It all depends on what the governor (Cuomo) wants to do, what will be a gain for him politically. So far, the idea we've heard about shifting attention away from the WTC to the PA bus terminal came from just one of the commissioners and the rest haven't been and normally don't say anything about PA business. The only board meeting for this month is on April 23, so I presume that's when the issue will be taken up.

http://www.panynj.gov/corporate-info...overnance.html

Quote:
The governor of each state appoints six members of the agency's Board of Commissioners, subject to state senate approval. Commissioners serve as public officials without pay for overlapping six-year terms. The governors retain the right to veto the actions of the Commissioners from his or her own state. Board meetings are public.

An Executive Director, appointed by the Board of Commissioners, is responsible for managing the operation of the Port Authority in a manner consistent with the agency's policies, as established by the Board.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 2:23 PM

Looks like they're preparing to cap it...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive