HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:40 PM
Site 8 Lives

Grouse Mountain launches zipline attraction

Grouse launches zipline attraction

Kian Khoshnevis
North Shore News

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Visitors to Grouse Mountain will now have another diversion, with the installation of a series of ziplines set to open Saturday.

The mountain is set introduce the first phase of the new $1.5-million dollar zipline attraction, which will take riders through a three-line circuit at speeds of up to 50 km/h.

Brave souls will rocket past the Blue Grouse Lake area, the mountain's bear habitat and other attractions.

Riders are put in a harness and connected by wire to the ride's cables, which are suspended above the mountain's alpine forest.

"These mark Vancouver's first ziplines and are the first in a series of lines planned on the mountaintop," said general manager Michael Cameron in a release. "We have a long list of guests eager to ride the first line on opening day. Our newest attraction brings a new level of adventure to Grouse Mountain."

Mountain ziplines will add to the list of summer activities offered at Grouse, he said, including alpine hiking, lumberjack shows, the theatre in the sky, the refuge for endangered wildlife, as well as tandem paragliding.

"Air Grouse Mountain ziplines are a combination of exhilaration and somehow a feeling of calm," said Andrea Scott, the mountain's communications manager, who was given a test trial of the lines Thursday. "Soaring over the Blue Grouse lake gave me a completely different vantage point of an area I've been to many times.

"I'm definitely going back for more," she said.

Phase 2 of the ziplines is still in the works, and is expected to launch in the fall.

For more information, visit www.grousemountain.com.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:01 PM

Does anyone remember the old playground at Grouse to the left when you get off the gondola? I don't think it's there anymore. It was before the rink was put in or the bears. It was an older-style playground, the dangerous kind (ie. the kind that are fun for kids over 3). Was there a zipline in it that you simply hang on to (or else fall off and mangle yourself)?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation