HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 7:01 PM

Nolatown

Here's the Nolatown image. I don't know if this will resemble the finished product but they were originally talking about 4 or 5 forty story buildings. Regardless, it should be quite an improvement to the lakefront.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:39 PM
TL;DR

It looks fantastic in that rendering, but Nolatown always seemed to be a rather amateurish operation, from their cheap FrontPage website to their bumbling deals with the city and their odd choice of location.

Actually, is that even a rendering? It doesn't seem to have any levees in it, so it looks like just a photograph of a highrise/marina complex somewhere else. There's also what looks like the mouth of a river in the background - nothing like that exists at Lincoln Beach.

This is the rendering that I've seen - and it looks a lot less practical. The rendering is beautiful but the design looks crappy.

Regardless, I do hope it succeeds.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 12:01 AM

Some other renderings from the website...

Thanks for the info sgray. A $477 million dollar invenstment in the waterfront is pretty exciting.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:10 AM

Louis Armstrong International Airport to recieve major (much-needed) renovations. $350 million in upgrades slated to begin this year and expected to be fully complete by 2013 superbowl. $118 million of which will be a 1800 space rental car garage. Also millions in renovations to the exterior (article says the grey exterior will largely be replaced by glass) and the interior as well. Should create 2600 construction jobs.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...rleans_in.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:46 PM

Cool hotel/condo tower

Today Bidclerk is reporting a 340' hotel and condo tower for Nola for 2010 construction start. Couldn't bring up the link but those reports are very short on believable detail anyway.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 12:55 AM

I wonder if this is the same building that was on bidclerk earlier, described as a 30 story condo to be built in 2010?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:58 AM
TL;DR

I thought the same thing, but they have different locations on the map. Even if the locations are inaccurate, I think they're consistently inaccurate, i.e. the same building posted twice would show up in the same, incorrect place on the map.

The (incorrect) location of the first building was up between Tulane Hospital and Canal. This new building is shown on the south side of the Crescent City Connection at Magazine and Erato. It's in the same neighborhood as Tracage, but 340 feet is too tall for that proposal (unless they increased it).

Generally, a project's inclusion on Bidclerk signals something highly tentative; the developers want a rough estimate of construction costs so that they can plan the financing of their building, before they decide what the building will look like or how many units it will hold. Many times, the bids come in and they are too high, forcing the developer to go back to the drawing board or to abandon the plan.

It is possible that the same developers are behind both proposals, however.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It looks fantastic in that rendering, but Nolatown always seemed to be a rather amateurish operation, from their cheap FrontPage website to their bumbling deals with the city and their odd choice of location.

Actually, is that even a rendering? It doesn't seem to have any levees in it, so it looks like just a photograph of a highrise/marina complex somewhere else. There's also what looks like the mouth of a river in the background - nothing like that exists at Lincoln Beach.

This is the rendering that I've seen - and it looks a lot less practical. The rendering is beautiful but the design looks crappy.

Regardless, I do hope it succeeds.
I believe this was proposed behind the FBI bldg accounting for the "mouth of a river" which is probably the opening of the industrial canal.

http://www.crescentcitycondos.com/article_081606.htm

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 6:57 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenparrot View Post
I believe this was proposed behind the FBI bldg accounting for the "mouth of a river" which is probably the opening of the industrial canal.

http://www.crescentcitycondos.com/article_081606.htm
You're right, that rendering IS the site at the mouth of the Industrial Canal. It's actually a bit inland, and the "mouth of a river" on the right is actually just a little inlet.

HOWEVER - the recent articles describe the location as Lincoln Beach, nowhere near the Industrial Canal. It seems that at some point between 2006 and now, the location was changed to Lincoln Beach. It's a shame - Lincoln Beach is in the middle of NOWHERE. The Industrial Canal site would have been more appropriate.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 1:01 PM

Quote:
You're right, that rendering IS the site at the mouth of the Industrial Canal. It's actually a bit inland, and the "mouth of a river" on the right is actually just a little inlet.

HOWEVER - the recent articles describe the location as Lincoln Beach, nowhere near the Industrial Canal. It seems that at some point between 2006 and now, the location was changed to Lincoln Beach. It's a shame - Lincoln Beach is in the middle of NOWHERE. The Industrial Canal site would have been more appropriate.
I agree the best site would be the lakefront area instead of Linoln Beach...which by the way is a few blocks from my house just off Hayne bld. The proximity to downtown, Metaire is pretty good.

Right now they have that portion of lakeshore drive blocked off due to the fact that they are accumulating dirt/fill between the levee & the street. This dirt/fill has been used to raise lakefront levees and now I believe it is being transported to other areas. So....I don't know if this is an impediment to developing this area or these developers are just blowing smoke in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 11:38 PM

The Muses, central city housing...

http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2009/06..._taking_s.html

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
The Muses, central city housing...

http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2009/06..._taking_s.html

Interesting project but I felt compelled to read the nola.com comments which usually are moronic. Nevertheless, it was mentioned that "River Gardens is now as mess". Anyone have any input on this? I think that area is light years beter than before...around the St Thomas projects/Annunciation area.

What about the greedy developers creating slums....like they were not there before. We have a city with bad neoghborhoods next to good ones. It seems in order spread the good projects like this have to lead the way.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 5:39 AM
TL;DR

Yea, comments at NOLA.com are usually not worth reading.

The Muses project looks great. I'm slightly pissed that they are closing off Polymnia Street, but it's for the greater good.

As for River Gardens - it looks fine to me. I've spent quite a bit of time around there, and I haven't noticed any "mess". The houses look clean and well-kept. Jackson Avenue looks like a tornado went through, but that's not part of River Gardens.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 9:22 PM

How come when I visit this website it's registered back to 2007 discussions?
How can I default to the most current page when I check in?

thx in advance

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 6:43 AM
TL;DR

I'm not sure, I've never had that problem. Try clearing your cookies, that usually helps with such issues.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Yea, comments at NOLA.com are usually not worth reading.

The Muses project looks great. I'm slightly pissed that they are closing off Polymnia Street, but it's for the greater good.

As for River Gardens - it looks fine to me. I've spent quite a bit of time around there, and I haven't noticed any "mess". The houses look clean and well-kept. Jackson Avenue looks like a tornado went through, but that's not part of River Gardens.
I agree, I think river gardens was a great project and it has been well kept.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 7:56 PM

River Gardens have been well kept. The NOLA.com people are being bigots because its mostly black people living there...but they still look great.

And one billion percent better than what was there before.

Closing off Polymnia? really? That's not a good idea, they should have left the street alone and built around the street.

Half of the proposals talking about Iberville have people seeking to REopen the streets there for the first time since the early 20th Century.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 6:31 AM
TL;DR

I see your point regarding Iberville or Magnolia, but one street isn't going to make much of a difference. The wedge between Felicity and Polymnia would be too small to build on, so it could only be used as a park, but it wouldn't even be a very spacious or inviting park. It would basically just be a drain on the developers.

Key to getting New Orleans moving forward is to allow developers a bit of freedom in certain areas. Developers need to succeed financially, or they will take their business to other cities. I certainly don't see how it is helpful to be dogmatic about our crazy-ass street grid. Wholesale closures, like Iberville or Magnolia, are a public safety hazard, since emergency teams cannot get close to buildings. Luckily, nobody would willingly buy into a neighborhood where they have to walk 3 blocks to get to their car. It only works when residents are forced into it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 2:44 PM

I'm not anti development but I have anti letting developers run wild in the city. Without historic preservation protections this place could easily look like Metairie or the Northshore.

I'm from Atlanta, I've seen it first hand.

I am for allowing the development of new residential and retail but preferably with the reuse of historic structures (see Borders) and if not possible to build within the context of an area (which I believe Rivergarden was).

dealing with developers, you wind up on a very slippery slope....its a short ride to strip mallification.

On the other hand areas that could be revitalized and are already blighted, like Broad or say the area near the Blue Plate factory that's being turned into condos...could be developed more.

In the end, I am just for encouraging reuse and when not possible better buildings, close or up to the street level using quality materials that fit the historic context of the surrounding communities.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 9:24 PM
TL;DR

This building satisfies most of your requirements. Streets, especially when they are close together, occupy quite a bit of real estate. Also, they become wasteful when they are close together, since there is more land dedicated to traffic than is necessary.

The buildings are wrapped around the new, enlarged block, with the parking hidden in the center. The buildings don't have uncomfortable setbacks, either, like The Meridian over on Jeff Davis in Mid-City. Finally, the ground floor will be LIVING SPACE, rather than fake windows over a parking garage. I will be excited to see this building take shape, along with the new CJ Peete/Magnolia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations