HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yes it does. That is the final piece of the loop. It basically already there if you just use the sidewalk. But I think this project adds a wider pathway between the sidewalk and river.
Isn't the city also building some kind of scenic deck/overlook along Tache as well? If that's part of the loop it will be a tremendous asst to the city. Now they just need a name for it!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Isn't the city also building some kind of scenic deck/overlook along Tache as well? If that's part of the loop it will be a tremendous asst to the city. Now they just need a name for it!
Ya that's what we're referring to. The belvedere will be part of the loop. I would assume though, that there is a pathway on the riverbank and you don't need to go on the belvedere if you're simply cycling through the area.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Also as I mentioned in the Exchange thread, Sk8 Skates is moving out in November (to Main Street), which opens up another huge space in the Market. There's no concrete plan for all these vacancies yet but a lot of ideas. They're currently tearing down drywall and restoring flooring and such. In talks with a lot of people about what to do, possibly some sort of mix of programming, retail, community, etc. Will be interesting to see what happens.
So what's currently vacant in the Forks? Sydney's, SK8, Muddy Waters... is that it?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
So what's currently vacant in the Forks? Sydney's, SK8, Muddy Waters... is that it?
Plus a couple other small spaces upstairs (purposely) and the big space where TFNP vacated their offices when they moved to Union Station.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:42 PM

I really really really would like to see some big creative Forks/Railside signage go up facing Main. The old logo signs will need to be replaced soon.

Would love big neon-esque (LED) signage to go above the rail underpasses. There was a sign render floating around the internet a few years ago... do that.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

A rendering of the sculpture that will be part of the redevelopment along the Niizhoziibean pathway
[/I]

Gale (@galesimpson) on Instagram: “New art installation at The Forks.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 11:03 PM

Great photo, thanks for posting!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 11:04 PM

It looks great and so does the new entrance there, which wrapped up construction this week. Finally got rid of the entrance/exit roads to nowhere. Just have softened curbs for the service trucks to get up there when needed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 8:15 PM

𝔸𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕢𝕦𝕖 𝕄. 𝔾𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕒𝕘𝕙𝕖𝕣 (@_angeliqueen.m) on Instagram:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:04 PM

Anyone know if at the The Forks AGM last week they had an update on Railside Housing?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 11:35 PM
Winnipeg

Nice sculpture. Looks very organic and natural

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Anyone know if at the The Forks AGM last week they had an update on Railside Housing?
yes they said the developments were on hold pending provincial review of its downtown residential incentives. was on the cbc six o clock news/

Last edited by Tacheguy; Nov 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:22 AM
BANNED

Spoke to a former store owner at the Forks who said things for retailers there are far from rosy. Forks management is indifferent to their tenants and any suggestions fall on deaf ears. More stores are closing than opening and opening of the CMHR has had no positive effect on retail. Paid parking at the Forks has been the biggest detriment for retailers, you can't charge for something that was always free especially with so many other shopping options in the city.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Spoke to a former store owner at the Forks who said things for retailers there are far from rosy. Forks management is indifferent to their tenants and any suggestions fall on deaf ears. More stores are closing than opening and opening of the CMHR has had no positive effect on retail. Paid parking at the Forks has been the biggest detriment for retailers, you can't charge for something that was always free especially with so many other shopping options in the city.
I was shocked when they went from free parking in the parkade to $2 or $3 dollars per hour. If you are going to introduce something like that, do it in a gradual manner by starting at $1 per hour and free after a certain time.

As for the retailers, are they all losing business or perhaps only some of them as maybe there has been a slight shift in the demographics coming to the Forks. The Commons area seems as busy as ever!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
As for the retailers, are they all losing business or perhaps only some of them as maybe there has been a slight shift in the demographics coming to the Forks. The Commons area seems as busy as ever!
I want to know which retailers they're talking about. If Forks Trading Co. is suffering, I'll count that as proof that something's wrong. If it's the place selling Ukranian tschotskes and unlicensed Jets junk, I'd take that all with a big grain of salt.

I'm guessing that the tacky souvenir places are blaming everyone but themselves.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
More stores are closing than opening and opening of the CMHR has had no positive effect on retail.
It really hasn't had any positive effect on anything, has it?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:33 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The effect on our postcard shots was positive
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
A shot of it on one side of the new $10 will be a nice boost.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:37 PM

I think the long term plan for the Forks is to try and limit vehicles and promote transit. This is the first step. They want BRT through Union Station. Whatever the road into the Forks is called will be reduced from 4 lanes to 2. There will still be parkades as part of Railside, but I think a lot of that will be for residents.

On the flip side, I don't have a problem paying a few bucks to park. But that's just me. It's fairly typical Winnipeg though. Want everything for free and right to the front door.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:49 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think the long term plan for the Forks is to try and limit vehicles and promote transit. This is the first step. They want BRT through Union Station. Whatever the road into the Forks is called will be reduced from 4 lanes to 2. There will still be parkades as part of Railside, but I think a lot of that will be for residents.

On the flip side, I don't have a problem paying a few bucks to park. But that's just me. It's fairly typical Winnipeg though. Want everything for free and right to the front door.
I think part of that attitude has to do with the absolute shitshow that winnipeg transit is. If I can take a train or a bus and not have to screw around parking and get more or less where I want to go then I'm happy. It also allows you to have a good night out instead of being stuck having to say "sorry I have to drive later" all night.

Also i have to add that BRT is a garbage idea unless we find a way to make weatherproof stations i.e. heated in winter and out of the wind. Rail has always been the better idea, and preferably underground. I think having access to that would change a lot of winnipegers minds about needing to drive everywhere. The forks would almost certainly be able to do more if better transit existed.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan