HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One MiMA Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 12:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | MiMa (440 West 42nd Street) | 617 FT / 188 M | 63 FLOORS

Say goodbye to "Lake Related"...
http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainmen..._big_pool.html

Hell's Kitchen block: A big pool no longer

Gene Roman
April 29, 2008

The sounds of construction have finally broken the silence of stalled development on a Hell’s Kitchen block.

For more than two years, the site at West 42nd Street between Dyer and 10th avenues has been little more than a running joke to neighbors, who could only laugh at the stagnating pond that formed after the developer, The Related Cos., razed the buildings and development plans were put on hold after community opposition.

“They left a big hole in the ground that started collecting a lot of rain,” she said. “We went nuts here. The neighborhood started calling it Lake Related. Some tenants even joked that they now had waterfront property,” said Maris Rendanty, 53, president of the Manhattan Plaza Tenants Association, which represents residents of a complex across the street from the construction site.

Now the final blueprints fit what the community had been seeking: A mixed space that allows for a 58-story high-rise and restores two theaters to the site. The complex is set to be completed some time in 2010, according to the developer.

Related bought the block in 2004 and faced a battle over the developer’s plan to build a site for Cirque Du Soleil. After Related tore down the Houseman and Fairbanks theaters in 2005, the community wanted off-Broadway venues more in spirit with the area, something the new plan provides.

“They [Related] told us that they would come up with a plan that would meet the requirements of the theater bonus regulations of the Department of City Planning,” said Anna Levin, Land Use chairwoman for Community Board 4.

The theater bonus program was created in 2005 as part of the rezoning of Hudson Yards, according to Levin. The program offers incentives for developers to include a nonprofit performing arts space or a “legitimate” live theater with a maximum of 299 seats as part of any development plans.

Now with plans for two smaller theaters, Related is applying for the theater bonus incentives.

“As long-standing supporters of the arts, we are working with the City and the community to help bring cultural facilities to an area steeped in a historical connection to the arts,” Joanna Rose, a spokeswoman for Related, wrote in an e-mail.

Rendanty, the head of the tenants group across the street, said communication has improved between the community and developer, and the construction site is in better shape: “They secured the perimeter with lights, swept, cleaned and drained the property of excess water.”

And neighbors are seeing big changes.

“This whole area is under development,” said Carlos Bauza, 33, manager of the CVS at West 42nd Street and 10th Avenue. “Some people are calling it the Hell’s Kitchen revival.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 12:14 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:57 PM
World Machine

I love it. New skyscraper after new skyscraper. I just said this in another thread.

42nd street is really turning into something. Who would've thought.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:31 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

wonderful news ...hope to see a render soon.

that means i've to make a new thread in SSC

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:42 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

btw...maybe this tower??

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
btw...maybe this tower??

That's the old version...

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 8:18 PM
low-riding

That version was 2 versions ago. They had one with vertical wavy striping also.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 4:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
That version was 2 versions ago. They had one with vertical wavy striping also.
I'd be happy to get any of them built at this point, considering the long delay.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 9:05 PM

Nah, I won't be happy with the abomination posted above.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 10:28 PM
low-riding

617? I had really hoped this would tower over the Orion. But they are pretty much on par. This ofcourse being far wider. With the Silver Towers at 653 feet, it seems thats the new west 42nd st plateau

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 10:36 PM
World Machine

It adds to the 42nd Street canyon.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:13 AM
low-riding

no it does. but id rather a more landmark tower. It would stand out a lot being so far removed from Times SQ. I'll wait for a render before i get dissapointed

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:32 AM
World Machine

Well something is better than nothing, that's how I look at it. Don't get me wrong, I too would love to see something a great height or look be placed there. Who knows though, all this development along 42nd may lead to something like that.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 1:16 AM
low-riding

anything is better than lake related

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 1:40 AM

Agreed, the lake was disgusting. Like some primordial experiment to create life from muck go awry

I re-draw the old proposal and scaled it from the old 800 ft height to the new 617 ft. Hopefully we will see the new rendering soon.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 7:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Well, Lake Related is officially gone now...
http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/1...closed.php?o=0

Construction Watch: Hell's Kitchen Swimming Hole Closed

Thursday, May 15, 2008, by Joey

After megadeveloper Related's plan for a mixed-use development that included an 1,800-seat Cirque du Soleil theater didn't quite pan out (too Canadian), the huge vacant piece of land on West 42nd Street between Tenth and Dyer Avenues took on a new identity as the Hell's Kitchen swimming hole. But when Related announced that it had cleared the way for the rumored 60-story hotel/condo, we knew that the clock was ticking on the unofficial pool.

Indeed, a Curbed tipster sent in the above photos of the site, where Related's worker bees are busy excavating and laying foundation. Related had said they would release details on the 440 West 42nd Street project "soon," and we're still waiting. Guys, how about a rendering? Or at least tell us what you did with two years' worth of rainwater!

The shell for a future subway stop was also supposed to go here.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 6:02 AM

Project description and images taken from (http://www.twiningproperties.com/)
Quote:
440 w 42nd Street is a 56 story, 1 million square feet mixed use tower with a 300 room hotel, 400 luxury rentals, 200 condominiums, a 50,000 sf Equinox, 100,000 sf of retail, four theaters above a 200 car underground garage and the future entrance to the new 7 subway line at the corner of 42nd Street and 10th Avenue in Midtown West of Manhattan. Construction to commence in late 2007. The building is designed by Arquitectonica and will be LEED certified.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
low-riding

oh gross

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:34 PM

red brick? noooooooo

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:57 PM

Sort of a 15 William street(Beaver House) window pattern, with red brick instead of black and yellow. Hmmmm! some things ought to only be done once!
Base is not that bad! Should work well on 42nd street

Last edited by Antares41; Jun 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM. Reason: Added a sentence

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive