Willis Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:00 AM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Are there any restrictions or protective clothing required when working on the roof because of the high RF levels?
Nah. You're pretty safe up there because it really isn't that much. The FCC requires broadcasters to post RF signs at tower sites because there is some residual RF "leakage". But unless you stand in front of an FM antennea mounted to the side of one of the Willis Tower's mast for half your lifetime, you would never know the difference. Working around all the transmitters and stuff is safe too because of all the insulation. It's also insulation that makes the mast pretty safe to be around too. All broadcast mast/towers are insulated in some form or fashion. Those attached to the ground have the insulation on the bottom which absorbs alot of RF back signal.

Typically the only "required" clothing you will see an engineer wear is non steel toed boots and gloves. Gloves will also be non-condusive for electricity. There are some safety guidlines due to the large amounts of eletricity involved, but overall the job is safe. The only REAL danger is falling from the tower/mast.

FWIW, this is what a typical Willis Tower FM antennea looks like:

http://www.plancktech.com/Images/SearsTower_1.jpg

Everything is enclosed within the fiberglass case.

I should add this, some individual broadcasters may try to "limit" their engineers to exposure up there due to any RF levels just for safety sake. But keep in mind, they don't get to go out on the main roof hardly at all. I think it was only on Monday's and Tuesday's that roof access is granted unless there is an emergency.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:05 AM

This tower is just so EPIC!
i cant explain it but there's just something about this tower that NO other has.

very intimidating, very cool, very massive looking.
it looks like one of those towers that could kick your ass after school!

Last edited by The North One; Nov 4, 2009 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This tower is just so EPIC!
i cant explain it but there's just something about this tower that NO other has.

very intimidating, very cool, very massive looking.
To me, it looked incredibly tall from a distance and from the observation deck, but standing next to the building and looking up, it didn't seem so tall for some reason...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:36 AM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
To me, it looked incredibly tall from a distance and from the observation deck, but standing next to the building and looking up, it didn't seem so tall for some reason...
I had the same feeling too. It's just a monster of a building when you start crunching the numbers. Really an impressive piece of engineering (nod to Mr. Kahn) that will last for a long time.

To me, the WTC towers in NYC always seemed like just pure MASSIVE buildings at their base. They just seemed to be HUGE in every way. But when you look at Willis Tower at its base, it gives a feeling of being "skinny". A simple check & you find out that Willis Tower is actually bigger at its base than the two former WTC Towers in NYC. I was blown away to learn that fact and had to do a double take cause I just couldn't believe it!

Last edited by Lexy; Nov 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 5:43 AM
BANNED

Apparently all four glass boxes are in working order now because I saw them all deployed today.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 1:41 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Apparently all four glass boxes are in working order now because I saw them all deployed today.
Okay that's good. My OCD can now rest peacefully until the next "unbalance" comes to my attention. LOL!

It honestly took them what seemed to be forever to finish that last "Ledge". I was up there in September and they had that portion of the floor tastefully boxed off but one could see what they were doing. I wonder if they had some issues with the "Ledge" and its structure? Perhaps that is what took it so long. I know the city Codes department have to give each "Ledge" a once over and then "ok" it for public use. Perhaps that was the issue. Eitherway, it's good to see it extended because now it looks "complete" and not lopsided.

I'm sure some of you understand my disposition here with it looking funny. Two "Ledges" on one side with just one on the other. SHEESH! That was really torture to me for a while. I just wanted them to stick something up there so that the feeling would go away. LOL!!!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:27 PM
BANNED

^^^ No, I know exactly what you are talking about. It sucked to only have three of them extended.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 3:18 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The black granite "Sears Tower" on the Wacker side have been removed and they are in the middle of installing a black granite "Willis Tower" in its place.

I, for one, am very happy to see the stupid painted steel cover replaced.

Now if the City would just fix that damn lake-sized puddle in front of the sign ...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
I had the same feeling too. It's just a monster of a building when you start crunching the numbers. Really an impressive piece of engineering (nod to Mr. Kahn) that will last for a long time.

To me, the WTC towers in NYC always seemed like just pure MASSIVE buildings at their base. They just seemed to be HUGE in every way. But when you look at Willis Tower at its base, it gives a feeling of being "skinny". A simple check & you find out that Willis Tower is actually bigger at its base than the two former WTC Towers in NYC. I was blown away to learn that fact and had to do a double take cause I just couldn't believe it!
Am I the only one, or does the AON tower seem small?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The black granite "Sears Tower" on the Wacker side have been removed and they are in the middle of installing a black granite "Willis Tower" in its place.

Now if the City would just fix that damn lake-sized puddle in front of the sign ...
What I found to be funny is that the "Sears Tower" letters were taken off and replaced by a laminate "Willis Tower" decal. People were walking past and ripping portions of the "Willis Tower" decal off in a sort of protest to the renaming. Just kind of funny to me I guess. Especially when you think about just how little the space is they (Willis) are leasing in the tower and how that really shouldn't give them the ability to name it after them. It's certainly not a headquarters tower like it was when it was opened and it probably never will be again. Never the less, it will always be "Sears Tower" regardless of who moves in and names it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:43 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Yeah i wouldn't worry about it too much. Even little kids know its really the Sears Tower. Its like renaming baseball 'diamondball' and expecting people to start calling it that—not bloody likely.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 2:16 AM
THAT Guy

^Although during the Bears game (), I think one of the announcers called it Willis Tower while they were showing an aerial shot.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 2:39 AM
Show me the blueprints

Sellout

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:44 AM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Sellout
He will rot in he!! for that you know. That's like the 11th Commandment.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:53 PM
dream fast

11-07

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:00 PM
I'm Back!

If you could take sex and make it into a skyscraper canyon, that's probably pretty close to what it would look like. Nice shot!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^Although during the Bears game (), I think one of the announcers called it Willis Tower while they were showing an aerial shot.
yeah... that announcer was joe (GIANT stl cards fan) buck... of course a guy of his type would have something smart to say about our great city. ever heard him call a cubs game?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
yeah... that announcer was joe (GIANT stl cards fan) buck... of course a guy of his type would have something smart to say about our great city. ever heard him call a cubs game?
Ah yes, Joe Buck. He's an intresting fella that's for sure. I saw him on Conan O'Brian here a couple months ago and thought he was a "intresting" man. Especially when he's in the same business as some fine men of their respective time.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 3:46 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
If you could take sex and make it into a skyscraper canyon, that's probably pretty close to what it would look like. Nice shot!
Thanks, Lexy. That is a powerful strip of towers.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:53 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

It gets worse.

Now instead of just replicating the former Sears Tower sign in granite with a new name and typeface, they've filled in the granite with plastic illuminated letters. You'd think they could at least spring for some nice glass effect if they wanted to do that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture