HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:02 PM

Cool Austin | 6G | 874 Feet | 65 Floors | Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Hey, does anyone know if anything is going on or planned for the old post office site?
I know it isn't the post office site proper, but 600 Guadalupe may be getting redeveloped soon. The link below takes you too a drone shoot done for a commercial client. The highest images come in at 773 feet.

http://panowings.com/folders/600guadalupe/

Construction cam link.
http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...6-E3C4B0C3B2C1

Last edited by Urbannizer; Nov 2, 2022 at 3:20 AM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architeckton View Post
I know it isn't the post office site proper, but 600 Guadalupe may be getting redeveloped soon. The link below takes you too a drone shoot done for a commercial client. The highest images come in at 773 feet.

That's the Extended Stay hotel. Sutton had it but now Lincoln Property Company controls that site. I don't know if they bought it or partnered on it, but they are planning an office building there. Those are some very specific heights - 419 feet and 773 feet. Developers usually get these panorama shots done to market the views to potential investors and/or tenants of their future buildings. Whether or not that is what this is, I have no idea.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architeckton View Post

That's very interesting. That would go along with what scraperwill said about 600 Guadalupe which is the motel site that had a CVC filing late last year.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 11:00 PM

This is from the CVC determination. Half of the block is good to go up!

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=1126127

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 11:45 PM

Two months after the 600 Guadalupe CVC determination request, a "development related" tree survey was done of the block. This is from the end of December and Sutton's name was still on the documents.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...7z0lzuJxrs7%2F

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 12:05 AM

I love this site.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I love this site.
I love it more.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 12:59 AM

Are you guys talking about 600 Guadalupe or SSP?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I'm talking abut the panowings link a few posts above. I just spent about 20 minutes playing around on it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 1:08 AM

The Panowing views at 773' are incredible. Based on the construction progress of the buildings in the views, the drone pano could be from this past week.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Ha! SSP, natch. Where else are you going to find such obscure but completely golden links? Plus, the advance intel on new stuff is just staggering. Regularly scooping the media by months.

So panowings is totally awesome, too.... interesting how dense we look at '419 (when the camera is still within the vicinity of the Austin Plateau) vs how dense '773 looks -- with nothing nearly that height, and all the surrounding parking lots and single story buildings exposed.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Those are very specific heights. If those are potential views for marketing purposes, then a structural height is likely 20-30' higher than the top level view height, so (potentially) around an 800' building.
Exactly. Since this potential new tallest actually has some permit filings, it has some credibility. The drone shots and some reliable SSP insider info add some good corroborating evidence to this project as well.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 4:58 AM
Meh

With our water front starting to fill in a bit, it makes sense that we'd start getting some taller ones further north in downtown. That's pretty much how I've always assumed it would be. The river flowing through our downtown is fairly wide and the whole area around it creates parkland. It's not like in a few other cities with narrow rivers that flow through the heart of their downtowns where they're lined with buildings right up to the water's edge in places. I sort of like the idea of having the taller buildings be farther away from the river, not because of Nimby sentiments, but because I think it'll make the skyline appear more interesting. I don't know. I just think a 700 or 800 foot building or even 600 foot one so close to the water would look a bit strange. The Austonian is at least two blocks north of the river. Besides, I'd rather be able to see a couple of 400 footers stepping up to an 800 footer (more layers and more buildings) than one single building blocking the others. Once the water front is completely filled in, we'll be appreciating any taller buildings that happen farther north so their construction can be seen from the river and parkland to the south of downtown. There really aren't many good vantage points of the north side of downtown and the northwest side of downtown to watch those areas fill in much, so having something taller than can be seen from farther away I think will be appreciated.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:49 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
With our water front starting to fill in a bit, it makes sense that we'd start getting some taller ones further north in downtown. That's pretty much how I've always assumed it would be. The river flowing through our downtown is fairly wide and the whole area around it creates parkland. It's not like in a few other cities with narrow rivers that flow through the heart of their downtowns where they're lined with buildings right up to the water's edge in places. I sort of like the idea of having the taller buildings be farther away from the river, not because of Nimby sentiments, but because I think it'll make the skyline appear more interesting. I don't know. I just think a 700 or 800 foot building or even 600 foot one so close to the water would look a bit strange. The Austonian is at least two blocks north of the river. Besides, I'd rather be able to see a couple of 400 footers stepping up to an 800 footer (more layers and more buildings) than one single building blocking the others. Once the water front is completely filled in, we'll be appreciating any taller buildings that happen farther north so their construction can be seen from the river and parkland to the south of downtown. There really aren't many good vantage points of the north side of downtown and the northwest side of downtown to watch those areas fill in much, so having something taller than can be seen from farther away I think will be appreciated.
These are some good thoughts and observations. I've often thought about that as well. I've gone back and forth on the step-down approach to the river, and I"m leaning more toward it for some of the same reasons you mentioned.

I also think that Lavaca and Guadalupe would be a pretty cool corridor for height going north, but it seems that there are quite a few CVCs between 7th and 14th streets...but there are a couple lots that could yield a pretty unique building due to said corridors, of course. The other thing is that these two streets travel all the way through downtown and then continue south via S 1st, so it would be good for more density anyway, even if not with significant height.

The fact that the CVCs sort of form a triangle split by the Congress CVC could bring some really cool effects with more and more height and density throughout. If the height was limited to the river, that would never be seen.

Edit: Another area with no real CVC limitations that seems to go under the radar is bordered by West, MLK, Lavaca, and 15th or so to the south. This area seems untapped to me...right by West Campus, UT, the Capitol area, and the downtown core to the south.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:19 AM
on the south side

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 6:15 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
It sure does. I love how you can see the effects of the capitol corridors taking shape, especially on the far west side of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 10:23 PM

Austin | 608 Guadalupe | 849+ Feet | 63 Floors | Proposed

This is trilliondollarted's post from the update thread. I also copied all the posts related to this project from the update thread beginning with the Panowing's drone view link that indicated that this could be a tall project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliondollarted View Post
608 Guadalupe
63 Floors
849 Feet to parapet and then looks like some additional above that to top
809 to top of 63rd floor
probably should get a thread.

Last edited by The ATX; Jul 30, 2017 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 10:37 PM
Meh

So it'll have "shoulders" like the Sears Tower does, and at the 54th floor at 710 feet. I likey.

According to that, it looks like it'll be office and residential. I know that was mentioned already, but those levels show "O" - presumably indicating office, and "R" for residential. The 63rd floor is actually the roof slab. It'll have 62 actual floors.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 30, 2017 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 10:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Now this is nice, I'm assuming mixed use. This is the plus side about CVCs. Now they just need to build it ASAP.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Now this is nice, I'm assuming mixed use. This is the plus side about CVCs. Now they just need to build it ASAP.

I'm wary about it being Sutton since nothing has been built here by them.
It's thankfully not Sutton any more. See AusTexDevelopment's post - 2nd one in this thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin