HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:23 PM

^ Since the XFL is shaping itself as the football league for Trump supporters, I'm sure that a special white-guy exception will be made for Manziel.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:45 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ People are used to the Atlantic Schooners name... it's been around for over 30 years. Practically a no-brainer assuming that it's still available.

On another note, whatever happened to Johnny Football? Is he setting his sights on the XFL now?
The Schooners name has been around for a long time, but that's the problem: it's been a really long time. Wikipedia said they folded in 1983. There are 38 year olds who would have never heard of them. Has the name really persisted this long? Or does the ownership group have more flexibility on this than we think?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
The Schooners name has been around for a long time, but that's the problem: it's been a really long time. Wikipedia said they folded in 1983. There are 38 year olds who would have never heard of them. Has the name really persisted this long? Or does the ownership group have more flexibility on this than we think?
Well, the proposed ownership group owns the Schooners name, don't they? In theory they can name the team the Schooners, or anything else they want. Once they get a team.

I remember the Schooners 1.0 saga. When this new talk of the CFL in Halifax began, I thought of the name Schooners immediately.

It's as good a name as any of the ones being proposed at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Since the XFL is shaping itself as the football league for Trump supporters, I'm sure that a special white-guy exception will be made for Manziel.
Ironically enough Manziel is of Syrian-Lebanese origin on his father's side. Manziel is either an Arab name or an anglicization of an Arab name.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:54 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, the proposed ownership group owns the Schooners name, don't they? In theory they can name the team the Schooners, or anything else they want. Once they get a team.

I remember the Schooners 1.0 saga. When this new talk of the CFL in Halifax began, I thought of the name Schooners immediately.

It's as good a name as any of the ones being proposed at the moment.
Not saying it's not a good name or they shouldn't use it, just that maybe they're not as bound to it as some people are suggesting.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Not saying it's not a good name or they shouldn't use it, just that maybe they're not as bound to it as some people are suggesting.
I think public opinion will probably determine how bound to it they will be.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:02 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
They never existed. They’ve probably become better known in the past few years thanks to their “fans” participation in Grey Cup week than they were when they were a proposed team (which as I recall never really seemed likely to become reality).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The explosion over "Halifax Explosion" has been really weird. No one would have thought of an argument like that when the Atlanta Flames were named after the burning of Atlanta. Or for that matter the MLS Chicago Fire.
I can see if from both sides, lots of teams are named storm, hurricanes, cyclones, earthquakes and the like, but at the same time, this alludes to one of the worst disasters in our nation's history, so that can be seen as poor taste. I doubt they will even consider it though as the CFL and potential ownership are distancing themselves from this group.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:00 PM

https://twitter.com/MaritimeFtball

MaritimeFootball.ca

Quote:
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/31/mariti...ount-activate/

MARITIME FOOTBALL TWITTER ACCOUNT… ACTIVATE!
ROBBIE ABRAHAMSON

As you may have heard yesterday, Commissioner Randy Ambrosie is heading on a #CFLRoadTrip where he’ll be stopping in the 9 CFL markets.

AND HALIFAX!

Back in November of 2017, it was confirmed that discussions had taken place regarding a 10th CFL team in Halifax.

The following statement was released:

“We can confirm the CFL has had discussions with a group interested in securing a Canadian Football League franchise for the city of Halifax. While this group has been professional, enthusiastic and impressive, these conversations are relatively new and a very thorough process of due diligence must be put in place and completed before we can fully assess the viability of the project. We want to publicly thank this group for its passion for the CFL and we thank the members of the media for their interest.”

The group making the bid known as “Maritime Football Limited” has officially taken a spot in the social universe, activating a Twitter Account:

Tweets by MaritimeFtball
Give the account a follow if you want to keep up with any updates and/or progress regarding their bid.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:25 PM

I don't think "Explosion" is good name, even without any history. Sounds like something an 8 year old would come up with for a playtime football game.

"Look out, here come the A'splosions!" "Ah, he tackled-id the ball!"

But seriously, it sucks. Single-noun nicknames are already shaky ground, and then a controversial history. It shouldn't even be considered.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:11 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Just to go on record:
I don't care for the name "Schooners" - seems too wimpy.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:14 PM
arf

^Unless its a giant beer mug. Then game on!

I thnk everyone can be joyful inside just knowing that there is a group actually working again on this whole concept.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:21 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ Yes, that is the main thing. I hope they can get the stadium thing figured out and built.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Am I dreaming or did Schooner beer once have a much larger footprint (including advertising) outside of Atlantic Canada, including Ontario?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:43 PM
arf

Haha...I had to look it up and the taglines are eerily familiar:

"the schooner the better", "I'd sooner have a schooner"

I'd swear you could get it here years ago, but a quick check here shows it is unavailable now unless you special order it. I might have to do that if Halifax does get a team off the ground.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:45 PM

^ I associate schooners of beer with the giant mugs that Boston Pizza served years ago (maybe they still do?). Never heard of the actual brand, though...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:56 PM
arf

I've got that association too. I had a friend in the schooner club and was at whatever the top level was. Geez, we used to drink way too much.

Fishbowl Fridays at Checkers!

I am fully behind Osprey. I like it. Lots of great teams named after birds in leagues and it would be something different for the CFL. I still like the Highlanders, but it isn't particularly making me think Halifax or the Maritimes or Atlantic Canada in general.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:29 AM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Am I dreaming or did Schooner beer once have a much larger footprint (including advertising) outside of Atlantic Canada, including Ontario?
No dreaming. It was definitely in the Ontario market for a spell in the 80s.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:19 AM

Got picked (lottery with season ticket holders) to be able to go to the Town Hall for the Lions with the commish on Feb 8th. Excited to see what he has to say

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I am fully behind Osprey. I like it. Lots of great teams named after birds in leagues and it would be something different for the CFL. I still like the Highlanders, but it isn't particularly making me think Halifax or the Maritimes or Atlantic Canada in general.
I'm actually a really big fan of the Acadians proposal myself. The colours aren't original, but the name and helmet design are both great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada