Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 6:53 PM

Obligatory:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The inevitable Leafs late-season swoon / early playoff exit is going to be so delicious this year!

Laine’s even strength assist on Connor’s goal and his 200mph snipe in the shootout were just spectacular. Hopefully Matthews and Nylander were watching from their couches.

I have to say that these aren’t your grandpa’s Buffalo Sabres though. That’s a pretty good team all of a sudden.
Keep making those predictions. We're reaping in the karma points.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:35 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
You have me intriged how they can both be happy ?
You should find out in about an hour

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:22 PM

Flames oilers outdoor game in red deer?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:42 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Patrick Laine might be the best 4th line player of all time. What a stud. Did you see his assist?
Must be, given that he is second in the NHL in goals scored since he entered the league. Of course, Toronto fans over the age of 88 will still be revelling in the excitement of the Leafs' most recent scoring title, which was right up there in the news with Neville Chamberlain's visit to Hitler.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Oilers & Flames fans will get a happy little surprise tomorrow
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ates-1.4910441?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Must be, given that he is second in the NHL in goals scored since he entered the league. Of course, Toronto fans over the age of 88 will still be revelling in the excitement of the Leafs' most recent scoring title, which was right up there in the news with Neville Chamberlain's visit to Hitler.
Actually, I think Phil Kessel was the holder of the “second most goals scored over an arbitrary time frame” scoring title too.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiZiPop View Post
Thats actually pretty cool. Flames one looks better of course..

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I find it odd when fans of nothing franchises rag on the Leafs. The Jets either have to rely on records from a team that left or from a team that was in Atlanta. Kinda sad. Same with the ole 1967 joke. Canucks, Sens and Jets fans all use it meanwhile they have a combined 0 Cups won. Every other Canadian franchise has, atleast, a quarter century drought going on.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I find it odd when fans of nothing franchises rag on the Leafs. The Jets either have to rely on records from a team that left or from a team that was in Atlanta. Kinda sad. Same with the ole 1967 joke. Canucks, Sens and Jets fans all use it meanwhile they have a combined 0 Cups won. Every other Canadian franchise has, atleast, a quarter century drought going on.
Wrong. Patrick Laine is the holder of the prestigious “Mario Lemieux’s Jockstrap” cup.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:14 AM

Hockey Afternoon in Canada today: Montreal in Vancouver 4pm start.
It's funny I'm not as mad about this as when the Leafs are in town lol.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 6:25 AM

Flames 4 - Oilers 2

Oiler fans having a melt down tonight as Flames come back with 4 straight goals, 3 in the third to beat the Oil. The pitch forks are out and the torches are lit in Edmonton tonight, season over, fire the coach and the GM and the owner!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Exactly. Teams successes are measured by a combination of past and present. Yeah, the Leafs haven't won a cup since 67, but at least they have won cups. As far as the present, well they look good. The Leafs and the Jets are the only two Canadian teams that are serious contenders for the cup, and the Leafs are missing their best player as well as one of their other best players in Nylander.

The Jets are solid, and def contender, but we'll need to see more as the season wears on. They have a great home record, where they have played 12 games, and a mediocre road record, where they have only played 6 games. Canadiens are competitive, but seem to be winning with smoke and mirrors. 11-6 record but only a +1 in goal differential, in the three games out west here they took 4 of 6 points but didn't look very good. Vancouver is starting to look like..... Vancouver, and Edmonton looking like Edmonton. I'm not sure what to make of Calgary, aside from goaltending they're strong, but not a full on contender yet.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:41 AM

The leafs won cups when there were six teams in the league and geographic recruiting restrictions. I dont take any pride in those but will celebrate like the world is ending if they do win now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 7:18 PM

The Oilers are at their cap limit and sadly it looks like this is the best you can expect from them.

That Griffin Reinhart trade is looking really bad now. The Islanders of course picked Barzal with that pick acquired from the Oilers, then the next 2 players chosen were Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot. Then a few picks later there was Boeser and Konecny. Some pretty good players in the early second round of that draft which the Oilers also gave up for Reinhart.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The leafs won cups when there were six teams in the league and geographic recruiting restrictions. I dont take any pride in those but will celebrate like the world is ending if they do win now.
Oh I know, but it's still nice as a Leaf fan to have some kind of winning history. I do like the team we have today, who knows maybe the drought will finally end.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 9:50 PM
Community Guy

Lovin' our renewed Battle of Alberta!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by Coldrsx; Nov 18, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:28 PM
Community Guy

... don't

do

this

again.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:53 PM
Community Guy

I really need to stop re-watching games.

#Masochist

Last edited by Coldrsx; Nov 18, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 11:21 PM
Near Generational

#Flames.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada