HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 10:43 PM
Hammer'd

If you want to see an example of the restored terracotta, I believe there is some at the street level along King William. Up close it doesn't look like anything special but when it's applied along the entire building it's really going to look amazing I think.

I really crapped on this project back when it got started but I've come to realize that a lot of the heritage elements of the building are actually being preserved or replicated, so it's going to be a really good asset for the city once it's complete. LIUNA has actually change very little with the inside of the building, and almost nothing to the exterior. The main and second floors have been preserved in almost their original configuration.

The price tag for the entire thing is absolutely ridiculous but this is still worlds better than what had been proposed for the Connaught. There is still enough of the Lister's important heritage elements for it to be converted to mixed-use down the line. Floors 3-6 would make excellent for residential units, whilst the 2nd and parts of the main floor could retain office uses for the city or otherwise. I'd call this a happy ending for a building that has had a terrible life in the last 20 years.

Finally I'd also like to note that LIUNA has properly boarded up all of the rear of the Thomas building. This is a very strong hint that they are planning to restore it in some capacity.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 10:48 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

ya same money could've built a 30-story post mod scraper.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 4:41 PM

Lister video on Invest in Hamilton's web site

http://www.bizclip.com/investinhamil...me=listerblock

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 8:01 PM

New windows have been placed at the rear of the building. I cannot tell if they are put in the same in the front. The rear windows are not period windows. They do not open.

Taken March 16, 2010

Taken July 10, 2009

Last edited by LikeHamilton; May 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 8:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

So that's what Lister Block looks like with windows haha. I've only seen the Lister Block abandon in my life and windowless.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

From Heritage Committee (March 25, 2010).....

"Meghan House advised that new windows are being installed in the building and work has commenced in the basement. Heritage permit application have been submitted for some restoration work and temporary heat has been installed in certain locations of the building. It is anticipated that the project will be completed in 2012.

In response to a question from Committee, Meghan House confirmed that the heritage consultant is storing the heritage materials off site for restoration and repair have been inventoried."

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 2:36 AM
Hammer'd

Some of the construction they were doing in the back parking lot revealed the old foundation and some floor tiles from a past building. Anyone know what would have been back there? It would have been between the Downtown Art Centre and the Reardon's building, fronting onto Hughson. I imagine the building has been gone for at least 15-20 years now.

Here's a kinda rough picture of what I am talking about, the side foundation is where the ditch starts on the left, by the alley. It stretches across right to the DAC, basically under what was a parking lot before all this mess. The green stuff you see in the background was probably the back wall of the basement. It's green painted brick or stone, I think.

"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 2:47 AM

can only remember this area being a parking lot...used to park there when my friends and I (DD) would head downtown to Fever and other landmarks ...about 15 years ago or so. Not sure what was there previously.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:13 AM

Go ask Paul Reardon at Reardon's Deli. They have been there since 1970. This is in thier back yard. Just don't go during his lunch rush.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:00 AM

Remember Phase Two? That was promised *with fingers crossed* that a second tower will be built. ??? naw tha'ts okay no one else remembers either.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 6:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lister restoration continues

Ken Mann
6/8/2010
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1238805

The restoration of Hamilton's Lister Block continues on schedule.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger toured the downtown construction site on Tuesday morning, along with members of the media.

LIUNA's Joe Mancinelli says the project is on target to be completed by next summer, and he remains convinced that it will be a catalyst for other improvements in the core.  Mancinelli notes that "progress is contagious".

The city will purchase the heritage building from LIUNA at a fixed cost of 25 million dollars once construction is completed. 

The Lister Block will house city staff on several floors, including Tourism Hamilton on the main floor.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 10:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

The first two floors will be used for commercial uses.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 10:30 PM

Pigott will have to find a new tenant when Tourism leaves.

And I think the Right House will lose some tenants too. Public Health?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 10:35 PM

any word on phase two? The promised new glass tower in the back with private tenants.?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 10:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
And I think the Right House will lose some tenants too. Public Health?
Public Health is staying put, Hamilton Education Square got cancelled.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 11:13 PM

Let's hopeso, that's all that's left in the Right House. Couldn't even keep Pepper Jacks, which was a great venue, great patio in what is supposed to be out resto district.

I'll make a bet that that Right House Tim Hortons moves to Lister.

And what's with the transparency? Can the City tell us what departments are moving there?

Which ones from Eaton Centre are going back to City Hall and what ones are going to Lister? I went to pay my property taxes at the Eaton Center and found a sign that they already moved back to City Hall. It would be nice if there was some communication from City to Hall to its people.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Pigott will have to find a new tenant when Tourism leaves

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Public Health was targeted to move into Lister long before the Education Centre non-starter came and went. That's how the restoration got its provincial cash, remember?

http://www.thespec.com/article/210568

http://www.thespec.com/article/211122

Be it to Lister or Education Centre, Public Health is on its way out of Right House.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 2:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

In order to relocate the Public Health department you'd need 60,000 sq ft which would have gotten relocated to the Lister Block if it got demolished and replaced with a replica, that was the original intent. The Lister Block is about half of 60,000 sq ft, 32,000 to be exact.

This is why the Public Health department went with the Education Square proposal.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 2:59 PM

You're assuming the entire Public Health department when you say they'd need 60,000 square feet of office space? Correct me if I am wrong, but the office space held by Public Health in Right House building is well below 30,000 square feet let alone 60,000. And it was this office targeted to move into Lister in the first place so to satisfy the conditions the province put on their $7 million dollar cheque. From my understanding, unless the city wants to give back that money, they'd have to move these guys into Lister when it's done.

It would be great if there is anyone more in the know that can clarify whether the city has changed who it will house in the Lister Block when it's done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton