HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:21 PM

Leader Post article:

Regina Airport Authority planning for more expansion in next decades

Regina Airport Authority is providing a glimpse at the airport of the future at an open house on Thursday evening.

Ashley Martin, Regina Leader-Post
Published on: September 13, 2017 | Last Updated: September 13, 2017 5:36 PM CST

Ken Waschuk, chairman and acting CEO of the Regina Airport Authority, stands near a baggage carousel. MICHAEL BELL / REGINA LEADER-POST

Regina Airport Authority is providing a glimpse at the airport of the future at an open house on Thursday evening.

Building on the growth of the past decade, plans include enlarging the terminal building to the northwest, which will create space for more baggage carousels, retail stores and restaurants.

“It’s a question of when we’re going to pull this trigger, and that depends on the economy, it depends on passenger numbers … probably within the next three years,” said Ken Waschuk, chairman and acting CEO for the Regina Airport Authority.

This is all part of the 2037 master plan for the airport.

Each decade, the RAA is required to revise its 20-year master plan for submission to Transport Canada.

Waschuk said that although there are now six places to pick up food, he’d like to see a sit-down restaurant.

“It would be nice to have more retail as well. … It’s nice to have that atmosphere, where you can shop instead of sitting in a plastic chair looking out the window.”

In the past decade, the RAA has added “a lot of things the customer might not see but is there to support their needs,” said Waschuk, “all kinds of things that go on behind the scenes to make an airport function properly.”

That includes the instrument landing system, baggage handling system, ground servicing, storage and maintenance.

Waschuk said the Regina airport could see 2.8-per-cent more passengers in the next 20 years, according to a medium-growth-rate projection.

“Our screening area is too small; we don’t have adequate unloading or loading. The sheer numbers start to dictate the fact that you have to grow,” said Waschuk.

He said another baggage carousel is needed, as there is congestion during times of multiple flight arrivals, especially in the winter charter-flight season.

Waschuk said the RAA has not yet assessed the capital costs of such growth, but it won’t be cheap.

Running an airport is an expensive business. He said the RAA annually pays more than $1 million in rent to the federal government and $1 million to the city in taxes.

“Capital costs at an airport just never end. We spend millions of dollars on things that the public doesn’t even realize, like the baggage system,” said Waschuk.

“Three or four years ago, we resurfaced both runways; that was close to $20 million. It adds up. We recently moved a taxiway because of the potential expansion in that direction … it was in the double-digit millions.”

As airlines pay fees to use the airport, Waschuk said the RAA tries to make Regina’s airport an attractive place for airlines to land.

“We’re competing against every airport in North America in trying to get airlines to come here, because every city in North America wants better air service,” said Waschuk. “(Airlines) will look to lower-cost places every time, where they can make the most money. That’s what it’s all about for them, that’s all it’s about.”

Regina Airport Authority is hosting an open house Thursday, 5 to 7:30 p.m., in the main terminal of the airport. Parking is free to attendees.

This event is Phase 2 of a three-phase public consultation.

A public open house was held in July. The third facet will be an almost-finished master plan presented in December, which will then be forwarded to Transport Canada.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 1:08 AM

"Waschuk said the Regina airport could see 2.8-per-cent more passengers in the next 20 years, according to a medium-growth-rate projection."

2.8 percent more passengers in the next 20 years? This must be a typo, otherwise that is a really crappy growth rate!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post

"Waschuk said the Regina airport could see 2.8-per-cent more passengers in the next 20 years, according to a medium-growth-rate projection."

2.8 percent more passengers in the next 20 years? This must be a typo, otherwise that is a really crappy growth rate!
My guess is they mean 2.8 each year for the next 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, a 2.8 percent-per-annum growth rate. The terminal will still require a significant expansion anyway. Each annual successive increase of 2.8% [projected] would yield a higher number of pax.

As I mentioned above, build it, and they'll come, sort-of-speak. Without a more accomodating facility, operators will continue to bypass Regina. That was the premise for the airside infrastructure expansion/enhancements; the same would apply to the ATB.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Yes, a 2.8 percent-per-annum growth rate. The terminal will still require a significant expansion anyway. Each annual successive increase of 2.8% [projected] would yield a higher number of pax.

As I mentioned above, build it, and they'll come, sort-of-speak. Without a more accomodating facility, operators will continue to bypass Regina. That was the premise for the airside infrastructure expansion/enhancements; the same would apply to the ATB.
Agreed!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:

Ah! Thanks, that's better. I read it as 2.8% growth over 20 years (as in 0.14% growth per year)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 6:29 AM

How many more passenger bridges do we expect in the YQR expansion?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Ah! Thanks, that's better. I read it as 2.8% growth over 20 years (as in 0.14% growth per year)
Lol!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
How many more passenger bridges do we expect in the YQR expansion?
From the plan I saw during the fall of '14, by virtue of the extent of the extent of the ATB expansion, I reckon at least three more bridges. (I think four.)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:10 AM

Quote:
From the plan I saw during the fall of '14, by virtue of the extent of the extent of the ATB expansion, I reckon at least three more bridges. (I think four.)
So 10 or 11 bridges including the current 7?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:21 AM

An exciting year of new liveries:

and WestJet that did nothing substantial

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Yup.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
An exciting year of new liveries:

and WestJet that did nothing substantial

I wonder if WestJet is waiting 4 more years for a new livery as that will be their 25th year in business.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I think Saskatoon has 8 plus some ground stands.

My impression is for the last couple of years the number of flights during peek times has not been going up in YXE. What has occurred is the aircraft have switched to higher capacity aircraft. More regional 75 seaters instead of 50 seat aircraft. I think the Toronto run has more Airbus and less Embrear. I think Air Canada is working on finding way of getting more people in the Q400 aircraft.

Same in Regina? This may permit both airports to delay the need for expansion by a few more years.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I wonder if WestJet is waiting 4 more years for a new livery as that will be their 25th year in business.
They also should be getting the 787 aircraft start to arrive in 2019.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
White seems to be a Canadian theme.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:55 PM

Are airplanes white by default? I would think the less paint you need to apply, the better (from a cost perspective, anyway).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Are airplanes white by default? I would think the less paint you need to apply, the better (from a cost perspective, anyway).
By default they are bare metal. American Airlines used to claim they didn't paint so as to save weight.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:32 AM

everything you ever wanted to know about airliner paint

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...-painted-white

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:10 AM

Well, I can tell ya all that white aircraft are a hell of a lot easier to see than any other colour. (And of course, yellow.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan