HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 3:28 PM

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Demolishion of the Plains Hotel has begun. This morning two massive cranes are taking down the weather beacon that has been a Regina landmark for decades.
AWESOME: i wonder if those pre construction prices for those 200,000 one bedroom units will go up in price , maybe if the dome goes ahead.there is going to be a demolition party for those who bought in the massive complex on sept 29, Regina is well on its way, there are some who hate the thought of Regina going so well.

Last edited by thefourthtower; Sep 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 11:18 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Is there a city in North America under 250K with a more impressive skyline than Regina currently has?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 5:00 AM

Silly Question here. How does this "weather beacon" work. I heard that different colours signify different conditions but no one knows what they are. Does anyone know about it?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 5:22 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Saskie View Post
Silly Question here. How does this "weather beacon" work. I heard that different colours signify different conditions but no one knows what they are. Does anyone know about it?
I don't think there were different colours... Back in the day when these were possible, colour-changing signs weren't really around... I think it was just direction... A downward movement in the lights means rain, upward means a nice day... I think there are a few more... but I don't know them.

At least that's what I was told by a friend about a different weather tower that's in their city...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 1:38 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Saskie View Post
My recollection is that the weather tower is lit with three different colors. An excellent entry in the book "Regina's Secret Spaces", Lorne Beug, Anne Campbell, Jeanie Mah, 2006, Canadian Plains Research Center, confirms my failing memory. From "Night Light: The Weather Tower of the Plains Hotel" by Gary Varro:

Green: rain
Orange: unsettled
Blue: clear

Bands going up: temperature rising
Bands going down: temperature decreasing
Bands idle: temperature not changing
It was designed locally, by Ted Godwin, one of the Regina Five. It was initially to be on the Wheat Pool building to inform farmers of the weather as they drove home from the city. It was also originally designed to be 350 feet in height. The 35-foot version was installed atop the Plains Hotel in 1962.

Last edited by babo; Sep 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 3:08 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
My recollection is that the weather tower is lit with three different colors. An excellent entry in the book "Regina's Secret Spaces", Lorne Beug, Anne Campbell, Jeanie Mah, 2006, Canadian Plains Research Center, confirms my failing memory. From "Night Light: The Weather Tower of the Plains Hotel" by Gary Varro:

Green: rain
Orange: unsettled
Blue: clear

Bands going up: temperature rising
Bands going down: temperature decreasing
Bands idle: temperature not changing
It was designed locally, by Ted Godwin, one of the Regina Five. It was initially to be on the Wheat Pool building to inform farmers of the weather as they drove home from the city. It was also originally designed to be 350 feet in height. The 35-foot version was installed atop the Plains Hotel in 1962.
Hmm... good to know... I don't think I've every really seen the weather tower displaying any of that information in multiple colours.

Anyone know when the last time it actually served the purpose of a weather tower?

And I'm just trying to imagine what it would have been like for a 350m weather tower to stand atop the Viterra Building. Would have been amazing! Definitely one of a kind.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:09 PM

You can also read about the weather tower on top of the Canada Life Blg in Toronto, including info on the colour codes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_...Weather_beacon

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 5:08 PM

Does someone actually have the current plan or drawings for the Capital Pointe project? (Please post if you do!) On the diagram page of skyscraperpage it says that Capital Pointe will be 82 meters at 25 stories, but the recent Leader Post article says 26 floors (or is that the penthouse on 26 that they don't mention? On the website the floor plans only go up to floor 23 so then is the penthouse on 24? Confused! Thanks friends!

This is a repost of mine from the Regina thread, but thought it might get answered better here. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Does someone actually have the current plan or drawings for the Capital Pointe project? (Please post if you do!) On the diagram page of skyscraperpage it says that Capital Pointe will be 82 meters at 25 stories, but the recent Leader Post article says 26 floors (or is that the penthouse on 26 that they don't mention? On the website the floor plans only go up to floor 23 so then is the penthouse on 24? Confused! Thanks friends!

This is a repost of mine from the Regina thread, but thought it might get answered better here. Thanks!
The penthouse is two stories 25 and 26, putting the tower at 26 stories i believe there are two levels of parking at the base of the tower.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 10:24 PM

who is Westgate Developments?

Is anyone else wondering who Westgate Developments is? Do they have a website? Have they ever attempted anything even remotely close to this? Why do they have an Ontario general contractor that has never built anything in Regina? Scary...especially when you realize how many developers (even experienced ones) go broke trying to do high-rises.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhomeboy View Post
Is anyone else wondering who Westgate Developments is? Do they have a website? Have they ever attempted anything even remotely close to this? Why do they have an Ontario general contractor that has never built anything in Regina? Scary...especially when you realize how many developers (even experienced ones) go broke trying to do high-rises.
They have announced who the general contractor will be? I know they have an Ontario architect.

All that I know about Westgate is that it is owned by the Kims, a family originally from Korea. They have owned the Plains for a number of years.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhomeboy View Post
It's the Kim family of Regina...

http://www.century21.ca/conexusrealt..._Hotel_project

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
They have announced who the general contractor will be? I know they have an Ontario architect.

All that I know about Westgate is that it is owned by the Kims, a family originally from Korea. They have owned the Plains for a number of years.
I'm not sure owning a crappy hotel for a number of years makes them qualified to be a developer of a project of this magnitude. I hope I'm wrong. The proof will be when they get their construction financing.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
CP's facebook page says: We have been told that the Plains Hotel will be coming down in September. Move in will be throughout 2012
Just throwing this out there... But if the Harvard tower won't be ready for occupancy until late 2012 or early 2013, how will the CP project which includes a 10 storey hotel and 25/26 storey condo be ready for move in during 2012?

Just curious.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 5:05 AM

Quote:

Chamberlain construction is building this project, they do everything from start to finish.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 6:29 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kerr View Post
Just throwing this out there... But if the Harvard tower won't be ready for occupancy until late 2012 or early 2013, how will the CP project which includes a 10 storey hotel and 25/26 storey condo be ready for move in during 2012?

Just curious.
When I went to check out the open house, they said they were planning on possession transferring to the buyer in December of 2012. It's possible that that date is when the last units will be finished, and they are just using that as a date just in case things get behind and they need the extra time. I'd expect the hotel to get the major effort and be ready earlier than the condo units though.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
When I went to check out the open house, they said they were planning on possession transferring to the buyer in December of 2012. It's possible that that date is when the last units will be finished, and they are just using that as a date just in case things get behind and they need the extra time. I'd expect the hotel to get the major effort and be ready earlier than the condo units though.
OK, so let me rephrase the question.

The Harvard tower has already broken ground, the demolition is done for all intents and purposes, they're putting up a 20 storey tower and they're saying occupancy won't be ready until late 2012 or early 2013. Now, this is the same bunch of people that have already put up a tower or two in Regina - so I kind of trust their predictions.

On the other hand, the CP bunch haven't even broken ground, yet they're saying they're going to build a 10 storey hotel, a 26 storey condo tower.. AND they're going to get it done before the end of 2012?

So what's the difference? Is the CP project less square footage all together? Are they using some kind of super duper construction techniques? Or... are they just making sh*t up?

Like I said, I'm just curious. I don't have any money down on this, but if I did I think I would be asking a few questions - my nuts would be getting a little tight right about now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan