HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^their "religious pursuit" doesn't have to mean destroying neighbourhood character or good architecture. If you let church boards decide what to do with their buildings they'll don silly things like paint over frescoes in white and deface the artistic integrity of the original architecture.

Idk it may sound super idealistic of me but I think that placing a heritage designation on a building that adds to the cultural character of an area is totally reasonable. And it certainly doesn't break the sacred separation of church and state.
Again, perhaps you don't see things their way religiously, and that's fine. What is usually universal is the mandate that churches have to help people.

I get the whole character thing but holy hell ("that's in bad taste, Wolf") we're beyond delusional if we can expect a christian, muslim, hindhu, sikh to put "artistic integrity of the original architecture" above their literally religious views or freedoms, which are protected.

It is a part of culture as well as humanity, but I can't expect that angle to be on the same tier of importance to those involved. These are not equals.

More importantly, it's about having to engage the city and a committee any time you want to do anything to your building. At minimum it's cumbersome and annoying; you're inviting another contentious cook into the kitchen.

At worst, it's crippling, if the church was hoping to expand, renovate, or do anything to accomodate its vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Would a heritage designation prevent the church from converting the building into housing in the hypothetical future? I'm guessing it would. That's becoming a trend for older traditional churches who find themselves unable to sustain a dwindling congregation but want to retain the building.

If so, I sympathize with them.
Heritage designation means they now need to get every change approved.

Simple projects now are government procedures. Imagine if your house was heritage approved, and the windows leak? Have fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
It totally makes sense why the church wouldn't want the heritage designation, but the way they tried to argue it? Separation of church and state?!? There have already been some great projects in the city with churches converted to affordable housing. If that's what they were thinking of doing why not just say that? Hopefully the city would work with them, and if not then it's the city that looks bad. Instead they suggested that they think separation of church and state means the church is somehow exempt from the rules of the state which is outrageous and makes them look idiotic and frankly terrifying.
Well, I think they're trying to just be legally effective.

However, church and state was originally designed not to prevent the church from controlling government, but the other way around. It may seem harmless with heritage designation, but that's exactly what this is... the state is using it's own discretion to impose limitations on the church subjectively.

And now Vineyard church has been hit with this. They were perhaps less clumsy about how this effects them.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 9:20 PM

OK well they can pay taxes if they don't want any government control whatsoever. Can't just be allowed to freely operate with no rules or expenses.

As someone who is personally not religious, I could easily make the argument that they shouldn't be exempt from any taxes.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Osborne Village BIZ director to run for Winnipeg city council
https://globalnews.ca/news/4297295/o...-city-council/
Oh no. I hope someone better runs against her. With Gerbasi exiting, anything could happen.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Oh no. I hope someone better runs against her. With Gerbasi exiting, anything could happen.
She will not rest until Osborne village has that lookout tower so people can see the roof of the fire hall.

On the bright side, maybe once she starts campaigning to spend millions of dollars building an elevator to nowhere inside the bell tower, Portage & Main won't seem like such a waste of money anymore.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:46 PM

Good Lord I hope that woman doesn't win.

Infill projects in Osborne seem to still be humming along. Next week a couple of projects go the community committee meeting:

- A five-storey, 99-unit project at 281 River Avenue
- three-storey, 15-unit project at 284 Stradbrook

Design drawings can be seen for both on the City Clerks' site (linked above).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:07 PM

Was just about to post those.

The 281 River Ave is large (east edge of Fort Rouge Park). Edit- Oh, I see it replaces those five smaller apartments on that lot. Funny enough, I happened to inspect them about 20 years ago, which was well before they were refurbished/refreshed just in the past 5 years or so. They were in horrible condition on the inside at that time.

Last edited by EndoftheBeginning; Jun 27, 2018 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:08 PM

384 Stradbrook

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:12 PM

And updated render for 380 Osborne

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:39 PM

I dont remember hearing much of 380, nice development

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou...469395763.html

Quote:
Infill apartment block planned for 380 Osborne

A new infill development projected to bring 71 new apartments to South Osborne has cleared the first round of approvals at City Hall.

On Jan. 9 at City Centre community committee, councillors Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry), John Orlikow (River Heights-Fort Garry) and Cindy Gilroy (Daniel McIntyre) approved rezoning 380 Osborne St. from commercial community use to residential mixed use and variances to allow for the construction of a seven-storey apartment block.

The property was formerly home to Fort Rouge Glass, which moved to 58 South Landing Dr., off McGillivray Boulevard in late 2017.

Neil Minuk of DIN Projects presented the proposal at the public hearing, where only one person was registered in opposition. Minuk said in addition to adding one ground level commercial space, the new infill building will increase density in the neighbourhood.

"We see this stretch of South Osborne being rather bleak and it really sort of becomes evident by looking at the size of the bus garage," Minuk said. "We’re right across the street from that so we see this building as helping the urban structure. We’re pushing the building right up to Osborne and we’ve got lots of eyes on the street."

The building will be a mix of one- and two-bedroom suites with two levels of indoor parking, one underground and one at grade, for a total of 71 spots. Bike parking and a car share spot are also included in the plans.

The proposed apartment building is also comparable to other nearby multifamily developments, with 376 Osborne standing at eight storeys and 400 Osborne at seven. The building backs on to Don Togo Park to the east.

A recent public consultation with about 30 people from neighbouring properties raised some concerns about parking entrances (which will be off of Don Avenue) blocked views, and shadows, Minuk said.

But the biggest concern Minuk heard from the public was in regards to the rental aspect of the building, he told the committee.

"From my perspective, I think they were worried about what kind of tenant might move into this building. It’s proposed as a rental building and they wanted to make sure that the tenants that were going to move into the building were of, maybe, of a middle to upper level. And that’s the case," Minuk said.

Minuk said they are expecting to break ground in May and hope to have occupancy by spring or early summer 2019.

Gerbasi said she was supportive of the project because of the land use change from industrial to residential and a one to one parking ratio.

"It’s been well planned, they’ve worked for many, many months with the planning department, consulted with the community," Gerbasi said. "The community modified the project to address concerns of scale and so on."

Building plans will come to City Centre community committee for approval at another date.

Danielle Da Silva
Danielle Da Silva
Community journalist — The Sou'wester

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:41 PM

This is going where the auto body shop is? Looks like a giant RT Station lolol.

EDIT: Posted this before the most recent pic  – we getting grey or the red/white/blue?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:47 PM

^ If the blue and red one is the updated render then it must be that one?

The proposal gives off a vibe similar to the new Osborne Place as well as the building that went up on the site of the old Banana Boat.

It looks like a good development, but I have to admit I'd have preferred to see it go closer to the existing critical mass on South Osborne...basically anywhere from Brandon to Jubilee.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:08 PM

Some nice developments there. Peaked roofs kept to a minimum. Awesome.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:41 PM

Yes the red/blue accent is the updated render (dated June 6,2018). It also reflects some changes that were asked for, including transparent glass on doors/windows on the facade and removal of a half-wall on the south elevation to open up the entrance.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:48 PM

^ I actually liked the half-wall on the south. It helps to define the building's space... it's a bit like a backyard fence.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:08 PM

Looks great. And maybe I'm crazy but the half-wall looks like it's still there in the exact same way in the newer render. I actually think the city requires it (or a fence) as it's along the public sidewalk.

The city really needs to install better lighting under the rail/RT line underpass – it's almost pitch black. Not the most inviting or safe if you're walking to the Village.

It'd also be nice if whoever looks after streetscaping in SO would replace the banners.... about 80% of them are gone.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:13 PM

^ Yeah, good point about the underpass... it is really designed to 1920s streetscaping standards. I realize you can only do so much given the physical limitations of an old railway underpass, but at least they could maybe brighten it up a little, especially at night. Especially given how much busier that stretch is since the RT station opened.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:21 PM

Yeah it's kind of mindblowing they did almost nothing to spruce it up when they built the RT line, which made it even darker and longer. Really just LEDs and fresh paint and you're good (Donald Bridge over Assiniboine needs it as well).

They painted over the really ugly old Canada mural recently... guess that's a start?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Looks great. And maybe I'm crazy but the half-wall looks like it's still there in the exact same way in the newer render. I actually think the city requires it (or a fence) as it's along the public sidewalk.
It's just the little section in front of the door at the corner that they removed - they didn't like that it blocked the entryway area.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 6:49 PM

i hate this trend of white buildings they look tend to look terrible.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 7:18 PM

I actually like lots of the white buildings, depends on material and application though. Buhler Centre has stood up remarkably – doesn't show any signs of age or dirt. Meanwhile a lot of these new black buildings look brutal – the black parts of 360 Main look filthy – shows every dried water spot and spec of dirt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan