HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:22 PM
Illustrator, editor

LEEDS 2017 – Nightsky’s trip to 5 English cities

In early April this year I made a trip to 5 cities: Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and York. I had already visited London twice so I wanted to see something else, in this case some of the largest cities in England. I flew to Luton from Copenhagen and home from Manchester. I travelled with trains and buses between these cities. The weather was exceptionally fine for early UK spring, with mild weather, no rain and sunny more then half of the time.

LEEDS:

Population: 782 000 (metro 2 454 000)
Tallest building: Bridgewater Place (110m, built 2007)
Founded: 1207, city 1893
Ceremonial county: West Yorkshire
Region: Yorkshire
Area: 551.7 km² (urban 487.8 km²)
Year visited: April 2017

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds.html

Leeds is the 3rd largest city in the UK, and the largest in Yorkshire. It is also the largest financial center in the UK after London. The name Leeds trace back from the 5th century,and in the 1600s, Leeds replaced its neighbour York as the most important city in the region. Leeds used to be an industrial mill town, known for its wool industry, but Leeds has one of the most pleasant city centres, of all cities in the UK. The River Aire flows through the city. It is very beautiful, several nice bridges goes over it, and it is trafficated by water taxis.The city has four universities (University of Leeds and Beckett University are the most important ones), offers high quality shopping and is known for its many beautiful shopping arcades in old Victorian style. There are also many larges shopping malls and markets in the city centre, an area called the Victoria Quarter. Briggate is a beautiful pedestrian street in the heart of Leeds that these arcades are centered around. The beautiful Victorian County Arcade, Cross Arcade and the colourful Queens Arcade are the most famous ones, and Victoria Gate is the ultramodern, and the most expensive.
A large shopping mall with curved glass roofs towards the sky, Trinity Leeds, occupies several blocks in this area. At Briggate you also find Debenhams historic department store building, and restaurants from all over the world. There are several other nice pedestrian streets in this area as well, like Albion Place, Lands Lane and King Eward St. The Pinnacle highrise is a landmark in this area.
Leeds was a market city already in the 16th century. Corn Exchange, a circular Victorian building from 1864 that now is a shopping center, Kirkgate Market (Leeds City Markets), a grand building with 800 stalls in a station like interior are historical market buildings that can be found in the centre. Kirkgate Market is the largest covered market building in Europe. Duncan St, Boar Lane, New Market St and Vicar Lane are some of the most busy streets around these markests.
The Headrow is also one of the main streets, it leads to the Quarry Hill district, where you find the huge 1993 postmodern Quarry House, home to the Department of Health and Department of Work and Pensions.

The historic Central Station is large. In front of the station is the City Square, and behind it the river Aire, where new highrises have been constructed. At City Square you find fountains, the Edward the Black Prince statue and several important buildings, except the station there is the Old Post Office, Queens Hotel, Park Plaza Hotel, Norwich Union Offices, several other statues and the busy road Park Row begins here.

Victoria Square is in the heart of the city centre. This is where you find the huge, classical/baroque Leeds Town Hall from 1858 with its clock tower, the Leeds Art Gallery, the same building that houses Leeds Central Library and the Craft Centre and Design Gallery, Radisson Hotel and flowers and palms. Nearby, along Cookridge St, is the neo-gothic Leeds Cathedral (Catholic Cathedral of St Anne). This is one of two large churches in the city centre; the Leeds Minster, a gothic revival parish church, situated near the river, is the other one. There are also three churches in the university area, one converted into a rock club. Just North of Victoria Square you find Millennium Square with the Leeds City Museum and the white and beautiful baroque church like, twin towered, Leeds Civic Hall, that contains the City Council. At the corner is the Mandela Gardens with its greenery and fountains contributing Nelson Mandela. Park Square is a beautiful, quiet, green square with red brick residential townhouses.

The Calls is a nice area next to River Arie, where you find narrow cobbled lanes, historical redbrick buildings with views of the river and terraces above the river. Calls Lane, Call's Wharf and Calls Landing are part of the area. To the East of the Calls is the new Leeds Docks area (formerly Clarence Docks), where you find the popular Royal Armouries Museum and several recently constructed modern residential buildings. The entertainment venue is quite good, with many pubs and night clubs, many centered around the Calls and Briggate.
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal links Leeds with Liverpool. Leeds is partly hilly, with some hills offering nice views, and very British in its appearance.

Skyscrapers and highrises have been built in Leeds recently, mainly in the Granary Wharf area just south of River Aire and the railway station, and in the Northeast end of the city centre, around the University area, where you find both futuristic buildings and old university buildings and churches. The second tallest building, Sky Plaza (or The Plaza, a 36-storey boxy skyscraper from 2009) can be found here, and opposite it is the futuristic First Direct Arena, and some postmodern buildings. Behind the station you find the 30-storey, 110m tall Bridgewater Place (137m to the antenna), the tallest building in Leeds since 2007, that is simply called "the Dalek" building because of its shape, resembling Doctor Who's enemies. Candle House is a red circular landmark highrise nearby.

Woodhouse Moor is a large park Northwest of the city centre. Leeds outskirts are known for its numerous numbers of typical British working class redbrick townhouses. A busy highway goes underneath central Leeds.

Double decked buses are still present (mainly coloured in blue and white mixed with other colours), but Uber and simliar taxi companies have replaced the traditional so called "London taxis".

Leeds is known as the birthplace for goth music, such as Sisters of Mercy and The Mission, that had some of their firts gigs here. It is also known for its football team, Leeds United FC. Leeds is the city where the long run and very popular TV show Emmerdale is recorded. The Emmerdale Studios can be visited, and the Harewood House North, just a few km North of Leeds, is the estate where the village scenes are shot.

I spent one day and a half in Leeds, between Manchester and York. The spring weather was quite pleasant during my visit, with sun almost the whole time. There was a football game scheduled the same holiday I visited, and people in the city were very friendly, it is actually one of the most friendly cities I have been to. In pubs and restaurants they talked very personal to me.
The city has very varied architecture, from beautiful Victorian to ultramodern, lots of people and traffic on the streets, and I liked the fact that it looks typical British but without the dull feeling. Probably the universities, financial and shopping, as well as the music scene has affected the city in a positive way. The Bad Apples is a really nice rock pub near the Calls. I liked the city a lot, my favourite UK city after London and York.

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds.html

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:23 PM
Illustrator, editor

BRIGGATE, VICTORIA QUARTER:

- Trinity Leeds, Queens Arcade, County Arcade, Cross Arcade, Grand Arcade, Debenhams, Albion Place, King Edward St, Lands Lane
Briggate is the main pedestrian street of Leeds. It is one of the oldest streets in Leeds, made in 1207. The area from Briggate to Vicar Lane is known as Victoria Quarter and is famous for its many beautiful shopping arcades in old Victorian style, all with entrances towards Briggate. There are also many larges shopping malls and markets around Briggate and Victoria Quarter.

The beautiful Thronton's Arcade from 1878 features a white interior with a clock and interesting display windows, County Arcade from 1903 has a very beautiful Victorian interior with caulted glass roof, Cross Arcade is passing through in a cross shape and the colourful Queens Arcade, formerly Queen Victoria Street that was arcaded in 1990. It features designer stores similar to London's Carnaby St, and the largest expanse of stained glass in Europe. Grand Arcade opened in 1897 and Central Arcade is a newer and much more modern arcade. Victoria Gate is a luxury, ultramodernshopping mall that opened in 2016, with marble floors, glass roof and diagonal patterns in typical Leeds way. It has 35 stores and is anchored by a futuristic John Lewis department store building.
At Briggate you also find Debenhams historic department store building, the Grand Theatre and restaurants from all over the world.

A large shopping mall with curved glass roofs towards the sky, Trinity Leeds, occupies several blocks in this area, and has an entrance to Briggate, where the Briggate Minerva sculpture welcomes the visitors. It was designed by Chapman Taylor and named after the adjacent Holy Trinity Church from the 18th century. It opened in 2012, as a result of several older shopping malls combined and renewed. Trinity has 120 stores on 3 floors and is anchored by Marks & Spencer and Topshop/Topman. It has a feeling of being outdoors and indoors at the same time, you can watch the sky through the glass roofs, featuring 1209 glass panels. The sculpture Equus Altus, a packhorse carrying cloth can be seen inside.

There are several other nice pedestrian streets in this area as well, like Albion Place (that is also a square with the beautiful gothic revival building Albion Court), Kirkgate, Lands Lane and King Eward St. The Pinnacle highrise is a landmark in this area. At the nearby Vicar Lane you find the Kirkgate Market (Europe's largest market building) and the Corn Exchange.

BRIGGATE:

Briggate 05 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Briggate 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Briggate 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Queens Arcade, Briggate by Nightsky, on Flickr
Queens Arcade 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Swan Street 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Swan Street 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Thorntons Arcade, Briggate by Nightsky, on Flickr
Thorntons Arcade 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Thorntons Arcade 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Thorntons Arcade 05 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Thorntons Arcade 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr
County Arcade, Briggate by Nightsky, on Flickr
County Arcade 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
County Arcade 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr
County Arcade 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Cross Arcade 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Cross Arcade 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Cross Arcade 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Cross Arcade 07 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Cross Arcade 08 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Debenhams, Briggate by Nightsky, on Flickr
Briggate 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Briggate 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Briggate 08 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Briggate - Bella Italia 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Briggate.html

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:59 PM
Illustrator, editor

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:07 AM
Illustrator, editor

ALBION PLACE:

Albion Place 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Albion Place 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Albion Place 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Albion Place 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Albion Place towards The Pinnacle by Nightsky, on Flickr

OTHER PEDESTRIAN STREETS:

Commercial St 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
King Edward St by Nightsky, on Flickr
Kirkgate 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Kirkgate 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Lower Briggate by Nightsky, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Briggate.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:26 PM
Illustrator, editor

VICTORIA SQUARE AND TOWN HALL:
- Leeds Town Hall, Leeds Art Gallery, Leeds Central Library, Craft Centre and Design Gallery, Radisson Hotel, Oxford Place Chapel

Victoria Square is in the heart of the city centre. This is where you find the huge, classical/baroque Leeds Town Hall from 1858 with its clock tower that was the tallest structure in Leeds 1858-1966. It is also one of UK:s largest town halls. Just next to the Town Hall in the square you find the Leeds Art Gallery, the same Grade II listed building from 1884 that that houses the Leeds Central Library, the Craft Centre and Design Gallery and the Oxford Place Chapel. In front of the Town Hall there are benches, greenery, flowers and palms. The Headrow, one of Leeds main streets passes through Victoria Square. Cookridge St goes Northwards. Here you find the neo-gothic Leeds Cathedral (Roman Catholic Cathedral of St Anne), built 1901-04. It was renovated in 2006 and is quite small for being a cathedral. The historical Radisson Hotel is also on Cookridge St.

Victoria Square 14 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Victoria Square 12 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Victoria Square 15 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Victoria Square 16 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Victoria Square 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Victoria Square 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Victoria Square 05 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Victoria Square 07 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Victoria Square 08 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Victoria Square 09 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Victoria Square 10 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Victoria Square 11 by Nightsky, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Victoria.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 5:47 PM
Illustrator, editor

MILLENNIUM SQUARE:
-Leeds Minster, Leeds City Museum, Leeds City Council, Civic Hall

Just North of Victoria Square you find Millennium Square, built to mark the year 2000. Here you find the Leeds City Museum (established in 1819 and reopened in 2008, a grandiose beige building) and the white and beautiful baroque church like, twin towered Leeds Civic Hall that houses the Leeds City Council, opened by King George V in 1933. The building, designed by Vincent Harris, houses the Lord Mayor's room, has four golden owls and a concert hall. At Millennium Square you also find the O2 Academy (a venue for rock concerts in a 1885 gothic building), the Carriageworks Theatre and the Electric Press (a restaurant/bar complex in a former industrial building). At the corner is the Mandela Gardens with its flowers, palms, hands sculpture and fountain contributing Nelson Mandela.

Millennium Square 14 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 11 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 15 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Millennium Square 10 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 12 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 16 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Millennium Square 13 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Millennium Square 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Mandela Gardens

Millennium Square 08 by Nightsky, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Victoria.html

Last edited by Nightsky; Sep 12, 2017 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:07 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Fantastic mix of classical, modern and transitional. Thanks and nice job...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:32 PM

That's one bad ass garish indoor gallery.

Almost like that famous of Milan. Must be from the same era. Late 19th century, most likely.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:17 PM
Illustrator, editor

Thanks! Yes, and this beautiful arcade is just one of many along the Briggate pedestrian street.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 9:09 PM
Illustrator, editor

STATION AREA, GRANARY WHARF:
- Leeds Central Station, City Square, Old Post Office, Queens Hotel, Park Plaza, Bridgewater Place, Candle House, Park Row, River Aire

The historic Central Station is large, but its entrance, actually on a side street, looks pretty weak and dull.
Skyscrapers and highrises have been built in Leeds recently in the Granary Wharf area, just south of River Aire, behind the railway station. Here you find the 30-storey, 110m tall Bridgewater Place (137m to the antenna), the tallest building in Leeds since 2007. It is dubbed "the Dalek" building because of its shape, resembling Doctor Who's enemies. Candle House is a 22-storey red circular landmark highrise from 2009. Hilton Hotel and Doubletree Hotel are also situated in Granary Wharf, on the backside of the station.

Candle House, Granary Wharf 01 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Bridgewater Place 02 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Bridgewater Place 01 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Leeds Station 06 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Leeds Station 05 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Leeds Station 04 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Leeds Station 02 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Leeds Station 01 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Granary Wharf, Station Area 08 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Leeds Station 03 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Granary Wharf, Station Area 08 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Granary Wharf, Station Area 06 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Granary Wharf, Station Area 05 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Granary Wharf, Station Area 03 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Station.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:48 PM
Illustrator, editor

CITY SQUARE:

In front of the Leeds Station (the large main railway station) is the City Square, a busy square where you find fountains, the Edward the Black Prince statue and several important buildings, in addition to the station there is the Old Post Office, the imposing The Queens Hotel that is connected to the station, the tall Park Plaza Hotel, the postmodern highrise Norwich Union Offices, several other statues and the busy road Park Row begins here.
City Square 07 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
City Square 06 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
City Square 05 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr

City Square 04 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
City Square 02 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
City Square 01 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Park Row 03 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Park Row 01 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
City Square 12 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
City Square 10 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
City Square 08 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Station.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:52 PM

Those Victorian era shopping arcades can be found in various UK cities though Leeds does have some of the best examples. Cardiff is another city that comes to mind as having several of them. I think they were influenced by the original Milan idea.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:23 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Those Victorian era shopping arcades can be found in various UK cities though Leeds does have some of the best examples. Cardiff is another city that comes to mind as having several of them. I think they were influenced by the original Milan idea.
I actually had plans to visit Cardiff originally (also Nottingham and Sheffield, and a short stop in London) but I decided it would be too many cities in a week. But I visited the galleria in Milan some years ago.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:59 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks! These are great.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 5:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

you were live at leeds!

very cool place -- i love the gallery malls

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:15 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
you were live at leeds!

very cool place -- i love the gallery malls

Yes, it is actually a big music city, went to a rock pub!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:16 PM
Illustrator, editor

THE CALLS:
- Calls Wharf, Calls Landing, River Aire

The Calls is a post industrial area that goes along River Aire in central Leeds. It consists of Calls Lane, a narrow cobbed lane with historical red brick townhouses, Calls Landing with its open air restaurants along the water and Calls Wharf. Yellow taxi boats, party boats and other boats pass by along River Aire. It borders the modern Leeds Dock to the East and the city center to the West. Bridgewater Place, Leeds tallest building, can be seen from Calls Lane.

The area is known as The Leeds Gay Village, with many pubs and bars.

The Calls 15 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
The Calls 14 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
The Calls 12 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr

The Calls 11 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
The Calls 10 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
The Calls 09 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
The Calls 05 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
The Calls 03 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
The Calls 02 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Calls Lane, Bridgewater Place by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Calls Landing 12 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Calls Landing 11 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Calls Landing 10 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr

[url]http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Calls.html[/url

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 9:35 PM
Illustrator, editor

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 10:08 PM
Illustrator, editor

LEEDS DOCK:
- Clarence Dock, New Dock, Royal Armouries Museum, Clarence House

To the East of the historic the Calls, connected to River Aire, is the new Leeds Docks area (formerly Clarence Dock, and for a short time New Dock), where you find the popular Royal Armouries Museum and several recently constructed modern waterside residential buildings, restaurants and public art. The museum is free and one of Leeds most popular, a part of this grey modern granite building from 1996 contains a stone from the Tower of London. Except for the museum, the area was consisiting mostly of derilict Victorian industrial buildings, until the new development begun in 2006. The tallest residential building in the area is the 20-storey Clarence House from 2007. The Boulevard is the main street. Lots of private ships, water taxis and tourist boats pass here.

Leeds Dock 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 15 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 16 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 14 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 13 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 12 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 11 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 07 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 05 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Royal Armouries Museum
Leeds Dock 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Leeds Dock 03 by Nightsky, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Dock.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 9:51 AM
Illustrator, editor

CENTRAL LEEDS MARKET STREETS
- Kirkgate Market, Corn Exchange, Vicar Lane, The Headrow, Duncan St, Boar Lane, New Market St, Central Rd

Leeds was a market city already in the 16th century. Corn Exchange is a circular Victorian building from 1864 that used to be a market. This Grade I listed building features a large dome with a huge rotunda inside and was designed by Cuthbert Brodrick (who also designed the Leeds Town Hall). In the 1980s the building was converted into a shopping center, and a venue for local gothic bands. After the restoration in 2007 it became a boutique shopping center. Kirkgate Market (Leeds City Markets) is a grand market building at the intersection Kirkgate/Vicar Lane. It was built between 1875 and 1976 and features 800. The Victorian interior is very large and beautiful, and reminds of a station. It was the founding location for Mark & Spencer, that has a stall in vintage style inside the building. Kirkgate Market is the largest covered market building in Europe. Duncan St and Boar Lane, situated on each side of the south entrance to the popular Briggate pedestrian street, New Market St and Vicar Lane are some of the most busy streets around these markets. The Headrow is also one of the main streets, it leads to the Q

Corn Exchange by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Kirkgate Market 02 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Kirkgate Market 05 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Kirkgate Market 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Kirkgate Market 07 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Kirkgate Market 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Kirkgate Market 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Central Road by Nightsky, on Flickr
Vicar Lane by Nightsky, on Flickr
New Market St w Corn Exchange by Nightsky, on Flickr
Duncan St, Boar Lane 2 by Nightsky, on Flickr
The Headrow 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
The Headrow 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Leeds_Market.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos