HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

309 Green Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Champaign Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:07 AM
Cleared for takeoff

Where is this one supposed to be by year's end?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwing View Post
Where is this one supposed to be by year's end?
The Burnham 310 building? Not sure by end of year, but it's supposed to be set for leasing for Fall of 2008.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:49 PM

This is an exciting time for UI's campus without a doubt.

I live very close to this building, and it will be leased by my current lessor (Roland Realty). They recently just brought on ~15 more steelworkers, which I found out through chatting with out maintenance man and they seem to making good progress. When it's up, I'll be sure to get pictures of it inside and out (I have a few buddies living there).

I'll add more about the construction around campus later tonight after my exam.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 10:39 PM
THAT Guy

Possible second tower

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...oject_may_grow

Apartment project in Campustown may grow
By Mike Monson
Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A high-rise apartment project going up on Green Street in Campustown is poised to get even bigger.

A city planning official said Monday that Campus Acquisitions LLC has purchased the College Corner Mall building at Fourth and Green streets through a limited liability company and is proposing to construct a 20-story apartment building at 311 E. Green St. The building would become part of an already-under-construction 24-story apartment project at 309 E. Green St.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 12:46 AM
Cleared for takeoff

^Nice. Good deal. Of course they had to wait to do all of this until after I graduated...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 4:27 PM

309 Green St. Champaign update

You can view a construction webcam of 309 Green at www.309green.com
Pouring the 6th floor deck today.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 4:30 PM

Actually, looks like the webcam has been removed from there. At least you get a good virtual tour link though...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 10:00 PM

How about some pictures...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 5:37 PM

Construction Update 12/29/07

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 6:32 PM

Nice photos, thanks jjsmith.

There's an updated rendering on the website that shows the tower's suroundings a bit.

The 2nd tower would be on the left, where that small red brick building is. It's a little bittersweet that the corner mall is being torn down. There are lots of quirky little shops in there. And of course, the basement was home to O'Malleys, where they played American Pie (song, not movie) every night, hence "At O'Malleys" being inserted into the lyrics. (Do they still sing it that way?) O'Malleys closed over a decade ago, but it'll be sad to see the building finally go.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 10:15 PM

now they just sing that at Kam's instead...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 2:39 AM

I don't know if I'm allowed to post photos from this page, so I'll just link to it.
This site has some nice recent construction photos of 309 Green, and pictures of other construction projects around Champaign as well.
http://gct13.com/e/20080115/309-e-green-st-5

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 5:53 AM
TL;DR

This thing would be right at home in River North. Of course, the parking podium here is much better than most of them in River North.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 4:49 PM

311 E Green Street

On the Chicago thread there was mention of an update to the Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture website. http://www.hparchitecture.com/
They are the firm that designed 309 E Green, and while on the site I found a rendering of the second tower at 311 E Green.

It's a nice design, very glassy, and does a lot to hide the bulk of 307's parking podium.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 6:25 PM
Closed account

All this development seems out of scale for tiny C-U. Its nice for the campus though. It didnt change until the year I left unfortunately

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 6:31 PM

How is the redevelopment of the old hospital site a couple blocks north of here coming? That was to be a high-rise with grocery store, right?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 7:14 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Finally got down there this weekend and saw this one. It's really coming along. Likewise is the case with the building on 6th and Gregory and Memorial Stadium. Anyone have updates on IMPE?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenIL_LA View Post
All this development seems out of scale for tiny C-U. Its nice for the campus though. It didnt change until the year I left unfortunately
There are a half dozen dorms around campus of equal size, so I think the scale is perfect. It's not anymore overpowering than Illini Towers.

And it's a natural progression. When I was there in the 90's, the new apartment buildings were all being built out of walking range of campus, where you had to drive to class, and then where do you park?

Campus needs more density than the ubiquitus 4 story apt building, and Campustown has been long overdue for increased student housing, where the holy trifecta of class, food and beer are all steps from your door.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 8:07 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
When I was there in the 90's, the new apartment buildings were all being built out of walking range of campus, where you had to drive to class, and then where do you park?
More likely than not, you'll be running late to class and not be able to find a park. Thus, you get harassed by campus parking and rack up parking tickets which will ultimately go onto your student account!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 8:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
There are a half dozen dorms around campus of equal size, so I think the scale is perfect. It's not anymore overpowering than Illini Towers.

And it's a natural progression. When I was there in the 90's, the new apartment buildings were all being built out of walking range of campus, where you had to drive to class, and then where do you park?

Campus needs more density than the ubiquitus 4 story apt building, and Campustown has been long overdue for increased student housing, where the holy trifecta of class, food and beer are all steps from your door.
Im not saying its out of place necessarily in height its just funny. I meant to address the "scale" from a street level and human environment perspective. Presidential tower is tall but pulled off the street, as well are many campus dorms or apartments. Only now for the past 6-8 years the trend is here that buildings are tall, on the street and have streetside retail. This will give campustown an even greater urban feel of a neighborhood on the northside of Chicago yet its only a simple college town that take 10 minutes in a car to see a cornfield. Im not against it. I wish it was there when I was, rather than the ratty/dirty Green Street that was there then. As students we often argued that we were unsure of thier traffic plans and attention to beautification would actually last into a long running transformation. I'm certainly glad it has.

Last edited by CenIL_LA; Feb 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive