HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:42 AM

I'm not quite sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but since Metro has been talked about in the last few posts.... Have you guys seen this proposal?? I know it's a long shot but this would be enormous!

From Curbed:

[QUOTE= Prepare to completely lose your shit, North Centralians: former deputy mayor and City Council District 13 candidate Matt Szabo has revealed his transportation vision for the area (Hollywood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Atwater Village, and Elysian Valley, more or less) and it's everything you've ever dreamed of. Seriously. Everything. Here's the short version, via his campaign website: "The plan, titled 'This Could Be Us: A Public Transit Vision that Works,' calls for a rail line along or under Sunset Boulevard, connecting Hollywood to Silver Lake, Echo Park, Dodger Stadium and Downtown L.A.; a street car connecting Atwater Village to Elysian Valley, Elysian Park and Downtown L.A.; and a subway extension connecting the Red Line in Hollywood to the future Purple Line in Century City, with a subway stop at the Hollywood Bowl." Here are the smelling salts. We'll meet you down below for details.

Here's what Szabo's calling for:
-- A Pink Line running from the Purple Line in Century City, along Santa Monica Boulevard, to the Red Line in Hollywood, with an extension up to the Hollywood Bowl.
-- A Sunset Line connecting Hollywood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Downtown--it'd be "a rail line along or under Sunset Boulevard with a stop at Dodger Stadium."
-- A freaking streetcar along Riverside Drive connecting Atwater, Elysian Valley, Elysian Park, Chinatown, and Downtown; it'd hook up to the Downtown streetcar.
-- To "aggressively advance" the Hollywood Central Park, which would cap the 101 Freeway in Hollywood with 44 acres of green space.
-- To take down the wire around the Silver Lake Reservoir and increase its public space, particularly after it goes offline as a drinking water source.
-- To get the concrete out of the LA River and "to create more natural, accessible public green space for pedestrians and cyclists" around it.[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:47 AM

I'm struggling with posting a quote from outside the forum, but you get the idea!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:32 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
I'm not quite sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but since Metro has been talked about in the last few posts.... Have you guys seen this proposal?? I know it's a long shot but this would be enormous!
Vote that guy into the Mayor's seat IMMEDIATELY. Like now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:36 AM
Paramoderator

22 story tower designed by Frank Gehry planned for Santa Monica, at Ocean and Santa Monica.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...m_for_samo.php

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:36 AM
:o

Re: Metro. Lol. Of course that would be great if it happened but it just looks like a guy trying to get elected as council member.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post

From Curbed:
The longest of long shots.

A Sunset Blvd line would be nice, but I'll put that in the "not in my wildest dreams," file.

The Pink Line will probably manifest itself as an eventual extension of the Crenshaw Line. That's likely decades off, though.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:41 AM

Huge Pico/Sepulveda Mixed-User Moves Ahead With Public Restrooms and More For Transit Users

Thursday, February 28, 2013, by Eve Bachrach

Casden West LA, the huge Expo Line-adjacent development set to bring 638 apartments, a big box retailer, and a traffic concierge to Pico and Sepulveda got the thumbs up from the Planning Commission earlier today. A representative for Casden tells us that the Commission's approval for the development was unanimous, though it included a few conditions to beef up the transit-oriented aspect. For instance, the number of bike parking spaces was increased to 144, and there will now be public restrooms for transit users and a bus layover area. To encourage transit usage, parking will be unbundled from the apartments--tenants will have to opt in if they want spaces, and Casden will give away 75 Metro passes to residents and employees. Finally, the residential units will moved 500 feet further away from the nearby 405 Freeway. Though the project has been controversial in the community, Planning Commission President Bill Roschen said that it "is going to turn out to be an exemplary TOD project." Next stop: the City Council's Planning and Land Use Management Committee and then on to City Council, where there could still be a fight. Councilmembers Paul Koretz and Bill Rosendahl both said they thought the project was too large back when it only had 538 apartments.
· Expo-Adjacent Sepulveda/Pico Mixed-User Will Have 1,795 Parking Spaces, Transit Concierge [Curbed LA]

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
22 story tower designed by Frank Gehry planned for Santa Monica, at Ocean and Santa Monica.

Very nice. As a couple of the comments on the article point out, there's a resemblance to 8 Spruce Street. Granted this would be much smaller.

Santa Monica is killing it right now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Vote that guy into the Mayor's seat IMMEDIATELY. Like now.
This is what the 2013 Mayoral election is missing........a true advocate of Metro. If anybody remembers in 2005, a key reason Antonio Villairaigosa shot up in popularity was because he was very strongly fighting for Metro rail expansion. He was coined the "LA Subway Mayor" by the LA Weekly. The detractors thought he was ignorant and didn't care about real issues. But really, what's the # complaint from Angelenos...traffic. Only Antonio brought it up and he got advocates to fight for his behalf to win the election.

I think Eric Garcetti needs to grab this mantra by the horn if he's serious about Metro rail expansion. He's the only candidate to not back down from Beverly Hills during their debate and would look for an alternative to Measure J. However.....he is not vocalizing this and it's going to be his race to lose, if he stops ignoring transit and thinks of it as the "white elephant". The truth is, if a Mayoral candidate were to advocate "yes, build the subway and more rail" that person will win the election. But apparently advocating for Metro rail in LA is still taboo. However, look at how our "Subway Mayor" changed the course of LA forever by 1) the overturn of the illegal subway drilling ban and 2) passage of Measure R. LA is a much better place with Antonio than without him as Mayor. Whoever is elected, I want to feel the same. Have the passion and push to make transit a priority and you'll leave a legacy as great as Tom Bradley and Antonio Villairaigosa.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Very nice. As a couple of the comments on the article point out, there's a resemblance to 8 Spruce Street. Granted this would be much smaller.

Santa Monica is killing it right now.
Reading of the vociferous neighborhood group's opposition to the Miramar project, will it be any different with this proposal?

I don't know if I should admire the masochism of these developers, making a proposal in that city, or any coastal city in CA, or deem them to be retarded!

Me? I'd take that money and proposal and head for Dade County, and have a red carpet laid at my feet on my arrival at Miami Int'l Airport!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:27 AM

Harbor commission votes to move ahead with San Pedro waterfront revitalization project
By Brian Sumers Staff Writer
Posted: 02/21/2013 06:02:53 PM PST
Updated: 02/22/2013 09:28:54 AM PST
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_2...dro-waterfront

Quote:
The Los Angeles harbor commission voted unanimously Thursday to move forward with a project to revitalize the San Pedro waterfront, despite objections from several developers not selected to move to the next round.

The five commissioners directed Port of Los Angeles staff members to negotiate exclusively with a group called the LA Waterfront Alliance on a project to redevelop the 30-acre Ports O' Call Village. The joint proposal by Los Angeles-based The Ratkovich Co. and San Pedro-based Jerico Development beat out seven other competing visions.

... It likely will include stores, restaurants, a boutique hotel, a conference center and an open space for events. But most of the details will be hashed out during the next year, officials said.

Instead of reviewing the developers' actual plans for the site, the five-member evaluation committee focused on the qualifications of the applicants and their ability to deliver a first-rate project.
This should be a good selection because some of the other developers were proposing a freaking outlet mall and chain restaurants, whereas the winning developers are proposing developing something unique to San Pedro.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post

Absolutely love it from a design perpective. Also love the fact that it will most likely eliminate a terrible surface lot at 2nd and Santa Monica Blvd and replace it with underground parking.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:09 PM

Blvd 6200

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:52 AM
Paramoderator

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...pment.php#more

Santa Monica seems to be on a good taste bent. Yay! Represent!

Anyways, Santa Monica is taking bids for that big parking lot in the middle. There are three contenders for this bid:

OMA(!): This would be like dream for me, as OMA is one of my favorite architects, if not my favorite architects.

Robert AM Stern and Brooks + Scarpa: This one interests me the most, as the pairing is just so interesting. A very traditional pre-war architect and a hyper modern deconstructionivist one? I'd like to see how that would turn out.

Koening Eizenberg: Always dependable for an attractive, high quality building. Under any other circumstances I would love for them to build on this lot, but the other contenders are just so unique and prestigious that I would rather the bid go to one of them.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:05 AM

This was posted a few pages ago....I thought it was a render!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:38 PM

Just drove by the Wilshire/Vermont project and saw that they are up to 13 stories on one of the towers, and 12 on the other. The are really cooking!

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Just drove by the Wilshire/Vermont project and saw that they are up to 13 stories on one of the towers, and 12 on the other. The are really cooking!
Funny that you mention that, just snapped this picture a couple hours ago.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
This was posted a few pages ago....I thought it was a render!

[IMG]
Me too!

I'm very happy with that project.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 6:22 AM
Paramoderator

New angles of the DT SaMo Gehry tower.

From ArchDaily

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:24 AM

i cant wait to hear the absolute bullshit santa monica nimbys will roll out for this one. what a shame that it will probably be delayed and downsized because of those morons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations