HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 2:35 AM
Posh

Cool stuff!

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 4:12 AM

Haven't seen a thread this good in a while. Super informative.

You should do a tour of Toronto. Would love to get your take on your hometown.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 7:41 AM
sick transit, gloria

Well my obsession with Jozi continues. Here's some music videos that feature the city well:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the award-winning tour!

In Central/South America they use a lot of old school buses, transported from the U.S., for transportation, where they paint them bright colors, put racks on top, and are deemed chicken buses, which I've so enjoyed riding in when down there as they become roving super markets, vendors hopping on and off, in journey, trying to sell you anything, everything, even cooked food, like fried chicken.

The other alternative is vans, and I see they use any number of them in South Africa. I took only one van ride, in Peru, one time. All started out fine, with only a couple passengers, and then as we got nearer to the destination, I still can't believe it, how they crammed 25 people into that older Toyota Van, along with their baggage! Squished in there like sardines, and this driver was speeding like crazy on a rain-slicked highway!

That was the very last time I ever climbed into a van in either Central or South America, and I wouldn't ride in one in South Africa either!

A sturdy old school bus converted into a chicken bus! Now that's much safer, IMO, in case there's an accident!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 10:44 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

A seldom seen place for me. Thanks for sharing this.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 4:47 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Thanks for the award-winning tour!

In Central/South America they use a lot of old school buses, transported from the U.S., for transportation, where they paint them bright colors, put racks on top, and are deemed chicken buses, which I've so enjoyed riding in when down there as they become roving super markets, vendors hopping on and off, in journey, trying to sell you anything, everything, even cooked food, like fried chicken.

The other alternative is vans, and I see they use any number of them in South Africa. I took only one van ride, in Peru, one time. All started out fine, with only a couple passengers, and then as we got nearer to the destination, I still can't believe it, how they crammed 25 people into that older Toyota Van, along with their baggage! Squished in there like sardines, and this driver was speeding like crazy on a rain-slicked highway!

That was the very last time I ever climbed into a van in either Central or South America, and I wouldn't ride in one in South Africa either!

A sturdy old school bus converted into a chicken bus! Now that's much safer, IMO, in case there's an accident!

Saw this comment after a long time! South Africa has TERRIFYING minicabs. They get packed way over the legal limit of people and are a menace on the road. Many deaths have happened in the country due to them. I'd hesitate to ride one.

In Jozi they have a myriad of hand signals for minicabs. You stand on the road and make a signal based on where you want to go - Soweto, CBD, Sandton, etc. I don't know how it works but it does.

Interestingly enough I bet the school buses wouldn't fly in SA because they aren't regulated. South Africa - the country with developed world laws and judicial system but lacking the order!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos