HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Marquee at Block 37 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:42 PM

I think it is under construction now. That's new rebar that wasn't there a week ago. I think once they start adding concrete and rebar to a building that already has foundations, it is under construction. They sure are wasting no time with this project!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i agree. new rebar being tied into the original structure would essentially constitute the "foundation" for this new tower, and would thus be considered under construction by the SSP defintion.

time to move the thread.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:18 PM

I am looking forward to seeing this mat pour that the permits have suggested will be happening. Should be a fairly complex project seeing as how the are essentially creating a transfer floor to reorient all the columns.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:33 PM
The City

This one will be fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 8:05 PM
BANNED

^Indeed

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

11 screen 'dine-in' AMC multiplex coming to Block 37, filling in 3rd and 4th floor vacancies. This is awesome..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...006-story.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Block 37 Movie Theater - Finally!!!!

^ Beat me to it!

Finally!!!!

About freakin' time!! Nice and upscale - and sufficiently expensive - with a strong security detail is an absolute necessity here. State Street overall needs to not be completely dragged down into discounters'/teens/tweens/college kids' row, and Block 37 is the obvious logical catalyst to provide the balance by a more upscale offering on the street.....

This is a bit larger too than previous plans (those were in the 8-screen, 35-40k sq ft range, and exclusively on the fourth floor - while this completed deal includes at least some amount of space - my working assumption is just a quite small amount - on the third floor - this at least according to the report in the Trib....the report in Crain's did not mention anything about the third floor, and I haven't yet had a chance to read the actual press releases from either CIM Group or AMC) - so good news on that front too.

Spoke with someone recently at Block 37 who mentioned that part of the hold up has been that they can't begin work on anything on the fourth floor until the tower reaches a certain height/stage of construction....perhaps someone here is able to corroborate that.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
11 screen 'dine-in' AMC multiplex coming to Block 37, filling in 3rd and 4th floor vacancies. This is awesome..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...006-story.html
Why anyone was bearish on this to begin with is beyond reason. Anyhow, yay!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 7:28 PM
The City

I can see this one movie theater taking this part of the Loop past the tipping point towards becoming much more active late at night. Add to that the restaurant and the "Latin Eataly", and this area is really going to be hopping, and very soon.

All of the hotels and residential will only feed into it further.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 9:59 PM
BANNED

If the condo market goes gangbusters in the next couple of years, i wonder if we'll see another Legacy scale tower go up in East Loop, and which parking lot/garage it will go up on.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:18 PM

The eating while watching concept is pretty dumb, but hopefully they'll also offer regular screening rooms. A movie theater in the loop will definitely be welcome, though. It should take some of the pressure off of ICON and AMC River East which are often crushingly crowded.

Speaking of, both of those theaters are in areas that were pretty dead until very recently. It could be that a theater isn't enough to bring life to an area.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:20 PM

^^^Maybe something will rise on the rumored parking garage tear down at Randolph and Wabash.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:37 AM
BANNED

^interesting, northeast or northwest corner?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:16 AM
TL;DR

Northeast. The (Lucien Lagrange-designed) garage on the northwest corner is too much of a cash cow. The northeast garage is small, unsightly, and requires costly valets to operate, plus it has better access to park/lake views over the Cultural Center.

I'd love to see Millennium Park Plaza go up at the old La Strada, with a sweet Citicorp-esque cantilever over a new Metra entrance - conceal the (still) fugly Doral. Unfortunately the residents of that building flipped a shit over the proposal, but retail leasing brochures still refer to a future tower.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:45 AM

has anyone seen any action on the roof lately? any more structure other than the vertical rebar thing put up on the roof?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Add to that the restaurant and the "Latin Eataly", and this area is really going to be hopping, and very soon.
Is the Latin Eataly just a hazy proposal from a couple years back or is it still an active idea?

AMC's choice of "MacGuffin" as the name of the tavern in the movie theater is very cute.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:23 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Richard Sandoval's food hall is a done deal - lease signed. Occupying 22,000 sq ft on the third floor. Opening was pushed back from November to April. It has also now been officially named "Latinicity".

Also, it appears that the Trib's initial breaking news report on AMC's lease mentioning occupancy of the fourth and third floor was likely just sloppy reporting. From the press release itself and the other reports (and later accounts from the Trib itself yesterday), no mention of the third floor......which makes sense.....so, 44,000 sq ft spoken for by AMC, all on the fourth floor....

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:26 PM
you know where I'll be

Reilly Reaction in Sun-Times.....'caught off-guard'! LOL

This is rich. So the Sun-Times weighed in this morning with their article on the news of the AMC lease. Not unexpected, they looked for a political angle, and brought Fran Spielman in. The passage below jumped out. Panderman Brendan O'Guinness is just too much:

Downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) said Monday he’s “aware of Mayor Daley’s past concerns with movie theaters in the Loop.”

But Reilly said he would “reserve judgment” on AMC’s new plan until he is “properly briefed.”

The alderman bemoaned the fact that no one from property owner CIM or the AMC movie chain reached out to discuss the plan with him before it was announced.

Article linked to below:

http://politics.suntimes.com/article...0072014-1215am

Are you fucking kidding me? This is too much even for him........no shame whatsoever......this has been in the works - and well-reported on - forever, and there would clearly be no particular reason - except for the strictly 'extralegal' to 'clear' a lease like this in an existing building - for a use that is permitted - with the Loop Prefect........

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:07 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
This is rich. So the Sun-Times weighed in this morning with their article on the news of the AMC lease. Not unexpected, they looked for a political angle, and brought Fran Spielman in. The passage below jumped out. Panderman Brendan O'Guinness is just too much:

Downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) said Monday he’s “aware of Mayor Daley’s past concerns with movie theaters in the Loop.”

But Reilly said he would “reserve judgment” on AMC’s new plan until he is “properly briefed.”

The alderman bemoaned the fact that no one from property owner CIM or the AMC movie chain reached out to discuss the plan with him before it was announced.

Article linked to below:

http://politics.suntimes.com/article...0072014-1215am

Are you fucking kidding me? This is too much even for him........no shame whatsoever......this has been in the works - and well-reported on - forever, and there would clearly be no particular reason - except for the strictly 'extralegal' to 'clear' a lease like this in an existing building - for a use that is permitted - with the Loop Prefect........
I wonder if we'll ever see this scumbag investigated.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:13 PM

"I won't have any development in my ward unless I've been properly bribed"

~ Ald. Brendan Reilly, 42nd Ward Alderbeast

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive