HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Canyon Ranch Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 5:25 PM
tilted & shifted

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to the see the void return.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:31 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I think either way, this tower is a successful concept.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 7:04 PM

I went back through the thread looking for the older renders. Is this the design that was in the WSJ, or something different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 10:51 PM
c h i c a g o

Just an FYI, the add in this weeks Crains depicts the top of the building like the render on page 1 of this thread. No void.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojava View Post
Just an FYI, the add in this weeks Crains depicts the top of the building like the render on page 1 of this thread. No void.
NOTE he said: "I went back through the thread looking for the older renders."

So FYI....we know that the void was removed, painfully, a few years ago.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
c h i c a g o

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler View Post
There was a large ad in the weekend edition of the WSJ, looks as though it is much different from their past ads. So hope remains on this project...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylusx View Post
Noticed the ad as well...it still shows the 'cutout' in the tower. Has the design been changed back to the original, or is this just an old already in the can advertising piece?
Chicago3rd, This is what I was referencing. I'm assuming the WSJ and Crains ad were the same. Sorry for the confusion

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 4:27 AM
Onkel Dagobert

To dispel the confusion, here is the wsj ad from this weekend. I don't quite understand the message that the ad is trying to convey with a guy in a pinstripe suite holding raddishes. I'm not a very artistically creative person, but still I think I should get what an ad is trying to communicate. Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 5:09 AM

^The "soul" of Canyon Ranch being the radishes, possibly having to do with the "earthy" ethos of the company. The suit being the "heart" of Chicago i.e. business and corporate office world. Or something.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 5:10 AM

That's really odd. A metrosexual radish farmer likes the kitchen, so you will too? What demographic is that aimed at?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 5:10 AM
Registered

^ [edit] Ha Aaron, we must be on to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
I don't quite understand the message that the ad is trying to convey with a guy in a pinstripe suite holding raddishes. I'm not a very artistically creative person, but still I think I should get what an ad is trying to communicate.
Dude, he's a rich gardener who only eats organic and waxes his chest hair. Don't you know that's their target market?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
Expert

For Pete's sake, CRL is marketing to wealthy people who are health obsessed. The ad is obviously geared to that audience. Can we get back to the building, please?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 11:34 PM
Registered

^ I think we get that. It's just a poorly conceived campaign. "I'd live there." Who the hell cares? Can't they think of a better line? Even if they had real people saying "I will be living there." Not, "I might live, but... well, I like my beet farm better." What are they implying?

Between this and the Peshtigo campaign, I'd say Related needs to find some advertising people who can make their developments sing. A different spin is good, but this is silly.

Besides, there is nothing to say concerning the building right now. What do you want?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 12:58 AM
BANNED

^^^ Maybe they are marketing this building to "silly" people?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
but still I think I should get what an ad is trying to communicate. Just my 2 cents.
Don't know, but to me its doesn't seem like they're going after an international crowd...I live in Chicago and it makes me feel like they are putting up an extravagant building in the middle of some sort of backwood farming community. Nice work, Canyons, Ranches, beets....so errrr, North Carolina.
"Chicago doesn't need Bryant to feel like a big-time player, just as it doesn't need Donald Trump to build a tower downtown to feel adequate. Nice that Trump's doing it, but when you have the Sears Tower and the Hancock building, you're pretty secure with who you are. And when somebody named Michael Jordan has graced your presence, somebody named Kobe Bryant isn't going to shake your world." Rick Morrissey, 2007

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 5:15 AM

I don't have much to contribute to this thread other than to say that you all are totally cracking me up. "Metrosexual Radish Farmer" .... Now that was some really funny commentary.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 5:50 AM

Yeah I agree that it's frustrating to anticipate hearing some positive news on the project only to stumble upon people discussing an ad for it in the paper, but I think the discussion is worthwhile (beyond the jokey tone it has had thus far). I mean, if we want this building to have as many potential buyers as possible and their ad just plain sucks (which I think it does), then it is certainly worth talking about. And like honte said, there isn't anything else going on right now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 2:13 PM

I like the ad....it's quite avant garde. With so many high end properties on the market, it's not a bad idea to be a little different.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 3:14 PM

The ad isn't very avant-garde at all. It look to me like an internal job with a concept that is a bit of a stretch. My guess is that with the name 'Canyon Ranch' the designer was trying to find imagery of an urban rancher/farmer. A pair that is inherently visually opposite. I see what was trying to be done, but don't think it got there.

It also has a weird informational hierarchy. 'Demonstration Kitchen' is the most prominent feature pulled from the list. Maybe I just don't know why this is so great but it seems to be a weird item to highlight as the most important feature. Usually price, location, or views are solid leading sales points.

...and don't even get me started on the center aligned type at the bottom.

-its not bad, just not great either.

I still think this is a great building though...so I hope to see more of these ads. They at least keep hopes up until actual work happens.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:56 PM

hey, all things considered, its better than

- a ho-hum ad
- no ad at all

this building is very interesting, and has a lot of potential if it gets pulled off

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 2:17 AM
Ex Houstonian

This is one of my favorite buildings out of all of the ones from this boom that are going up/may go up. I really do like that small black building and the small park on that lot, but this building is just too cool, so I can forfit that little black building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive