HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:44 PM

lse map

Last edited by archytype; May 24, 2007 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:46 PM

aqua and achitectonica plan view

Last edited by archytype; May 24, 2007 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archytype View Post
am I reading that correctly as another proposal for a 900' building between aqua and BCBS? I don't think I've heard of that before.

I say that because its labeled as "site O" suggesting something in the works similar to the arquitectonica design site and not just "future development" as to the east of the swissotel, which could be anything.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 6:02 PM

No that is the basic map they give out in the lse sales center the numbers thrown out for other buildings heights are speculative of the worst case scenarios.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 6:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
nice. this place is gonna be nutty when its fully built out (and with a hopeful chicago spire across the river)

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 6:09 PM
Plenary pleasures.

shit. where else in the world can you get a view of something this grand??? AMAZING!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 7:03 PM

^^^^

The Arquitectonica looks great in that image.

Not so sure about the Aqua, though, which too me sort of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 7:15 PM

Not only will the CS be in that picture, but Trump (1362'), 340 on the Park (672'), the BCBS extension (743') and maybe the Mandarin Oriental (845') should all be in place by the time this goes up. Plus a lot of that open space in the Streeterville too... pop goes the weasel.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 7:16 PM

^^^^

always has to be a soooore thumb, doesnt it. cant just be a plain old healthy thumbs up

based on these renderings, I think the tides building looks much worse than aqua or any of the other buildings in the shot. architetonica just looks, well, it doesnt even look like its there. as of right now, it doesnt really stick out at all, which isn't necessarily a negative thing, i guess

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 7:45 PM

Quote:
This is quite interesting. I've never seen this updated map yet. I like the additional Parkhomes and what appears to be public plazas.

What is that between the Regatta and site C?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 8:13 PM
Registered

Archytype, thanks for all the graphics. Arquitectonica looks about 815' in the overhead render.

Also, very interesting to know that the Swissotel ballroom will be +50'. Since the numbers on this thing are all CCD, I guess that means it won't have much of a street presence at all. Is Gang designing this as well?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 8:45 PM

At this point I am not sold on this design. From the rendering, theres nothing orginal just alot of jumbling of decades earlier designs. Seems the only thing eye catching about it is the keyhole. But proof is in the finished product. This may be one that doesn't render well but looks great in person. If not, there could be a real eyesore along the river corridor.

By the way, I really like 340 and its impact on the north boundary of the park. Have you noticed that recent national program TV images of Chicago really concentrate on this area with 340 in a very prominent position (last CBS Sunday morning show for instance)? The whole impact of a built LSE is going to be nothing short of amazing.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:20 PM

I swear, Chicago will be the number one skyline with the most amount of almost supertalls!

I'm just getting irritated with the massive amount of high 800's to 900's....

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:27 PM
TL;DR

I'm not. 1000' is a arbitrary height. All I care about is that Chicago is getting some tall shit.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:28 PM

Looking at Archytype's fine rendering, the Arquitectonica proposal being boxy, fits very well in the skyline with Aon, as well as with Watertower and IBM. From a structure/massing perspective it looks a lot like Watertower.
I think it looks fine there.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Archytype, thanks for all the graphics. Arquitectonica looks about 815' in the overhead render.

Also, very interesting to know that the Swissotel ballroom will be +50'. Since the numbers on this thing are all CCD, I guess that means it won't have much of a street presence at all. Is Gang designing this as well?
Well I was Bld C from a general eye perspective point of view. I didn't want to exagerrate the height (again) so I used a conservative approach when I plopped it on the perspective.
We have some new arials with 340, Chandler, and Tides almost complete and I'll place the rendered buildings in there.
I may also be able to add trump, the spire, and waterview if I can get the right renderings.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:44 PM
BANNED

...oh well, so they aren't 1000', what's the big deal? bragging rights? huh...

this whole lse development REALLY gets to me: what's with all the excessive amount of landscaping; the whole development is right across the street from one of the biggest parks in the city, yet there's a MASSIVE park in the middle, and why does aqua need a forest around it? all around i think lse is kind of a planning nightmare. too much open space and all the buildings are just kinda randomly placed... there's absolutly NO uniformity at all. and what's up with those townhomes? ugh, just look at that site plan... it's a big jumbled mess! and has anyone tried to walk around over there? it's insane! i'm sorry, but looking at that site plan just really got me going...

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:50 PM

I'd say this is the best time Chicago needs to get some bragging rights, Olympic bid and all. ya know? To have so many buildings pro/app/UC in Chicago and only 3 of them reach 1000'

ah well.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:10 PM

Hey, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth; how many proposals are there in the entire US over 1,000'? Not many. There's 2 going up in Chicago as we speak!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:10 PM

LSE is essentially a highrise suburb in the heart of the city. Given the circumstances, we're lucky the designs for some of the towers so far are as good as they are. In skyline view, the development will look cool, I think, but when you walk over there, you notice that it is less than an urban experience.

I still have high hopes that they will rethink that lot in the northeast corner of the development. I'm not upset by the lack of 1000-footers, but a 525 footer would likely be an inexcusable underuse of a lot with guaranteed views.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive