HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 4:26 PM

agreed...if it turns out even close to the renderings, will be a nice addition to the area...i've often wished Portland lit more of it's buildings at night...or even the bridges...then again, i suppose it's not the best use of electricity :-)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 2:04 AM

Sweet! That will be a great addition to the Lloyd Center area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 10:30 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^^Hey Alexjon...was in San Antonio two weeks ago and when somebody found out I was from Portland, they asked if I knew you...totally random and weird, but it was interesting too...you must get around
Hey Mark, I just read this. Do you remember what they looked like or their name at all?

I think this is pretty funny, but not surprising to me in the least.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 10:40 AM
shozbot!

I haven't seen anything new from LRS, online articles, etc., on the Cosmopolitan....Zip, Zero, Nada!!

Earlier on, there was talk of a possible 2010 construction start. Anyone heard anything lately about Weston's plans? Will he still just watch the market before he continues on? ( This had gone to design review )

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 3:34 PM

I think Weston said from the beginning that he was going to take it through design review and then wait for a rebound in the housing market. Well, we all know how that is going... I'm wondering which will go forward first, if either does: the Cosmopolitan with its PDC support but unproven location, or the Manhattan, with little to no public subsidy but less risky location in the west end.

Interestingly, there is a lot of activity on the site right now. Lots of heavy equipment turning dirt over. I've been assuming that it is a streetcar-construction staging area or something.

*edit* -->There's nothing under permits/cases on Portlandmaps about the above activity though. Just the approved design review.

Last edited by tworivers; Dec 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 3:41 PM

Looks like he's going to stick a 43-foot flagpole on top.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:05 AM

31-story Cosmopolitan Tower hotel proposed by Weston Development

http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/02/17...n-development/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:42 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Benson Tower? Is that you? Sure looks like you. Perhaps you're going to get a big brother, flagpole and all.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 8:43 PM

if this tower ever gets built, its gonna show up a lot in helicopter shots for TNT trail blazer game bumpers.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 11:27 PM

I think it would be cool if a twin tower could be built on the planned PDC headquarters site and the two towers connected by a skybridge or tunnel. This would provide a headquarters hotel with the 600 rooms that some say is the minimum number of rooms the HQ hotel should provide. Another option is to team up with Mr. Weston and locate a 600+ room hotel on the PDC site.....OR go taller on the Weston site and build a 600 room hotel...now that would be quite a signature tower for the Lloyd district.

Last edited by PacificNW; Feb 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 6:29 AM

PacificNW: This is going to be three blocks from the HQ hotel site. It is right on the MAX and the new Streetcar, so it seems like a good site. Between this and the new Courtyard in the Pearl Portland might see more national conventions even without a HQ hotel. Another 500 brand new rooms with easy public transport or walking to both the convention center and Rose Garden can't hurt.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 5:04 PM

The DJC article started talking about the tower, and then veered way off course spending the rest of the time rehashing the familiar HQ hotel story lines. Irritating.

The hotel was redesigned "to get the building to fit within (the original) skin so you’re not going back to design review" so who is Weston proposing the tower too? When do they expect to start construction? Does he have a deal with a hotel operator who would probably have corporate brand requirements for design and room types? Are they exploring the market for a hotel, or is this is a ready to start announcement?

What is this? Does Weston not own the land he has designed a tower on?
Quote:
As for the Cosmopolitan Tower, Maileen Hamto, public information officer with the Portland Housing Bureau, said the agency “is interested in the possibility of selling the site, and that we’re currently in talks with Mr. Weston about it.”

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:32 PM
A before E

What ever happened to this building?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 10:58 PM

Weston doesn't trust the market, that is why he pulled out of the Hoyt deals, so I am sure he won't be too quick to resurrect this one. As for the hotel, it has too few rooms for a headquarters hotel, and a 2nd hotel at the same time as the headquarters hotel may be a bit much. Just my thoughts on the issue.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 2:51 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Weston doesn't trust the market, that is why he pulled out of the Hoyt deals, so I am sure he won't be too quick to resurrect this one. As for the hotel, it has too few rooms for a headquarters hotel, and a 2nd hotel at the same time as the headquarters hotel may be a bit much. Just my thoughts on the issue.
That makes sense, it is a shame Weston is having cold feet with the market when this is when the housing market needs the units.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That makes sense, it is a shame Weston is having cold feet with the market when this is when the housing market needs the units.
Seems like this would be an amazing building if it ever gets built...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 8:11 PM

Looks like this one is coming back to life!

Did Weston ever own the site or did he just have the rights to develop? If he owned it, why sell this vacant lot in prime territory? If he didn't, why wouldn't he have developed it before an agreement ran out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Super NOFA info. Five sites being made available:
  • 10520 NE Halsey St.
  • 6431-6445 NE Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
  • 2124 N. Williams Ave.
  • 7104-7120 and 7126-7130 SE Foster Rd.
  • 1010-1034 NE Grand Ave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
This is a daydream, but the Portland Housing Bureau is currently looking for developers for the site at 1010 NE Grand Ave (once the site for one of Joe Weston's projects). With the site comes up to $5.1 million in public financing for affordable housing. The NOFA states a preference for "programming that includes mixed-income or mixed-use or both."

Given the intense zoning on the site, it would be fantastic to see a tower built with a cinema at the lower floors, and a couple hundred units of housing above it. The public financing should be enough to fund around 50 units of affordable housing, and the rest could be market rate.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 8:49 PM

I don't know why anyone thinks Joe Weston has cold feet about the housing market.

He has the Cosmopolitan under construction and nearly finished and that project is one of the most bullish residential projects in the city - a 28 story luxury condominiums for sale with a point tower floor plate.

He is also starting Block 20 with Hoyt, another high rise condominium.

Mr. Weston is as active in the development community as ever and a major force in completing the work in the North Pearl. At his age he could slow down or he could be more selective in choosing what projects he wants to do. He certainly doesn't have cold feet.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 9:04 PM

^Probably because of this article...

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...e.html?s=print
Quote:

Hoyt Street Properties is advancing its first apartment project in the Pearl District since well before the recession. But it will likely tackle the $80 million project without its longtime financial partner, Joe Weston.

Weston, among the city’s most successful real estate investors who made his fortune in apartments, has said he believes the market is oversaturated.
He also has stated in multiple places he was going to retire in September 2014. It's actually news to me that he's still actively developing new projects. I like the guy, hope he sticks around a bit longer!

I still wonder what happened to the development proposed at this block though.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:39 PM

Block 45 | 138'-6" | 12 floors | Proposed

LRS Architects and Lever Architecture have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss Block 45 in the Lloyd District.

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a proposal for a new twelve story building. The building is proposed to have 7,500 square feet of ground floor retail and approximately 264 residential units. Project is a mix of affordable and market rate housing. No parking is proposed.

(Image is from when the project was first announced - it has likely evolved since then.)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland