HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Trying to find a place by email

Looking for a place in st johns, I need to be living there Sept 2nd.

However I can't actually go there until I have a place.

Does anyone know if this works in a bigger city..

EDIT:Would like to keep the thread going along the topic of tough moves within Canada.

I.E. moves that happened to fast, not being able to find a place, moves you didn't wanna make, moves that drastically changed your life etc.

Last edited by Stryker; Aug 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Topic change.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 6:56 PM
Change is good

Seems to work for lots heading to Edmonton from parts "out east"

Best advice is to not sign anything long term (so that if the place sucks, you don't have to stay long), and try to find reviews online (can be pretty hard for smaller places). Try to go with a more established company. If the place sucks, at least you will be there short term, and can find a better place.

You may even consider just getting a vrbo or airbnb place for a week or longer (depending on your funds that is), and then search once you arrive...

Last edited by feepa; Aug 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM. Reason: gm

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:04 PM
arf

Try hitting the St. John's forumers with PMs. SignalHillHiker and Ayeronaut (sp) could probably offer some suggestions.

The rental I had in Pleasantville was nice, but access to the University (which I am assuming is important based on the date you stated) is not the best.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 8:07 PM

The last place I had in St. John's was secured by e-mail. I found a listing on kijiji and e-mailed the landlord back and forth, he arranged to have the keys left in the mailbox and the security deposit was to be paid when he had a chance to get down to the house (he worked in Labrador), at which time we also signed the lease.

Nice and simple.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:03 AM

To each his own I guess, but I personally prefer to go THEN shop around.

i.e. I absolutely second feepa's idea of getting a temporary place for a week or so.

FWIW, doing it that way worked fine for me... whereas my sis' track record (she got into leases before moving to the other coast every time) is more hit and miss. In my case, I arrived to Calif a couple weeks before the beginning of my semester, with only a few belongings in my car... negotiated a deal with a motel owner for one complete week (wasn't too hard, nowadays with other options like airbnb it should be even easier) and then using that room as my base of operations I visited a few apartments over the next few days and eventually found one that was nearly ideal and competitively priced. Moved there at the end of my motel week.

I think checking out the various apts in person and speaking with the managers/landlords in person is well worth the trouble of arriving somewhere before you have a place.

Just my two cents

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 11:36 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Email should be sufficient for St. John's, Stryker. Get the exact address and check it out on Google Streetview.

The only area of the city that you'd still need to avoid is St. Theresa's Court on Mundy Pond. That's the only rough neighbourhood left that immigration/gentrification hasn't cleaned up enough to be safe.

It's better to be east of the university than west of it because that puts you closer to downtown and your life can't be all about school, assuming that's why you're coming.

If you want, you can arrange a viewing of the place you like for anytime after 6 p.m. on a weekday and I can go and check it out for you.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Email should be sufficient for St. John's, Stryker. Get the exact address and check it out on Google Streetview.

The only area of the city that you'd still need to avoid is St. Theresa's Court on Mundy Pond. That's the only rough neighbourhood left that immigration/gentrification hasn't cleaned up enough to be safe.

It's better to be east of the university than west of it because that puts you closer to downtown and your life can't be all about school, assuming that's why you're coming.

If you want, you can arrange a viewing of the place you like for anytime after 6 p.m. on a weekday and I can go and check it out for you.
I got a place on old pennywell up behind the avalon. I actually like the location alot(lived nearby before), and its right on top of the route 1, which is one of the very few bus routes in the city that goes to my school and actually funcions for the most part on time.

My second choice was living downtown, however I kinda don't like it when I'm going to school.

I like going downtown for the day, coffee shops followed by bars, or coffee shops followed by gym. I find living too close to downtown kinda ruins the magic.

For the record crime isn't something that really phases me, atleast not east of winnipeg. I'll live just about anywhere as long as there is running water. Aside from my attachment to showering, I actually detest most first world living conditions as just too cushy. Which ironically is why i dislike car-based neighborhoods comfort without function.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I got a place on old pennywell up behind the avalon. I actually like the location alot(lived nearby before), and its right on top of the route 1, which is one of the very few bus routes in the city that goes to my school and actually funcions for the most part on time.

My second choice was living downtown, however I kinda don't like it when I'm going to school.

I like going downtown for the day, coffee shops followed by bars, or coffee shops followed by gym. I find living too close to downtown kinda ruins the magic.

For the record crime isn't something that really phases me, atleast not east of winnipeg. I'll live just about anywhere as long as there is running water. Aside from my attachment to showering, I actually detest most first world living conditions as just too cushy. Which ironically is why i dislike car-based neighborhoods comfort without function.
I'll invite you over to my aunt's shack in the middle of a Tijuana ghetto so you can rethink that phrase.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
I'll invite you over to my aunt's shack in the middle of a Tijuana ghetto so you can rethink that phrase.
Slight exaggeration on my behalf.

But be clear I spent months of this year sleeping on floors.

Aside from hygienic issues I could sleep anywhere and through anything.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Slight exaggeration on my behalf.

But be clear I spent months of this year sleeping on floors.

Aside from hygienic issues I could sleep anywhere and through anything.
I did it too the first time I came to Montreal back in 2007. Now on my return a couple of years ago I did the smart thing and rented a fully furnished room for 6 months while I saved some cash and found a place I liked.

We're spoiled here in Montreal though. It's ridiculously easy to find a place to rent and in any budget.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 7:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
jeddy1989 says the same thing to me all the time.

I call my house the finest in the favela, as I live in a pretty rough neighbourhood.

He's from here, but is fluent in Spanish and has lived in Venezuela and Chile. He always laughs at me, "Ryan, b'y, this is not a favela..."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada