HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 12:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Northland is at Highbury and Huron. I take my kids to a weekend program at the nearby library, otherwise I would not have cause to be in the neighborhood (I live in Hyde Parking Lot). Argyle is on Clarke.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:38 AM

I just had an epiphany of sorts.

Remember I wasn't sure what the pharmacy was in Westown, well I remember it now and there were several in London including White Oaks...............Boots.

Boots was a large drug store chain in England that expanded to Canada for a while but they were basically all folded by the early 80s or so as they went the way of Marks & Spencers.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:33 PM

Fossil opened at Masonville
Bench opening April 17

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 4:15 PM

Latest rumour for Masonville is that they are adding space close in the Sears parking lot and that The Bay is taking Sears spot. There are stores in White Oaks, whose lease is expiring that will come to Masonville.

I walked in White Oaks the other day and it's got a decent amount of empty spots in it and it will probably get worse as Masonville cements itself as London's premier mall.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 11:03 PM

I went to Costco on Monday, when I was driving up Wellington saw a billboard from Bentall Kennedy with their numbers and emails for lease/rental inquiries for White Oaks. Take that as it is, don't recall seeing that at Masonville. Personally I only go to White Oaks to try and size things, then go online and get the same item 30-40-50% less. 95% of stores are selling utter shit.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:02 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I visited both Northland and Oxbury malls recently and took lots of crappy pictures of the decrepitude. I will post these soon for your viewing enjoyment.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Latest rumour for Masonville is that they are adding space close in the Sears parking lot and that The Bay is taking Sears spot. There are stores in White Oaks, whose lease is expiring that will come to Masonville.

I walked in White Oaks the other day and it's got a decent amount of empty spots in it and it will probably get worse as Masonville cements itself as London's premier mall.
Im surprised nothing has been released by Masonville, sears has been closed and empty for close to 2 months...

I could easily see Coach, Sephora and H&M at Masonville... add something like Zara, JCrew, Michael Kors

NO reason to go to Toronto anymore.... GO masonville!!!!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
I went to Costco on Monday, when I was driving up Wellington saw a billboard from Bentall Kennedy with their numbers and emails for lease/rental inquiries for White Oaks. Take that as it is, don't recall seeing that at Masonville. Personally I only go to White Oaks to try and size things, then go online and get the same item 30-40-50% less. 95% of stores are selling utter shit.
I never buy clothing in a mall, because none of the stores carry my size in shirts or pants. I have to shop at big/tall stores, and the ones in London are located well away from the malls. Most of what's on offer in the malls is grossly overpriced anyway in order to cover the excessive rents.

The last time I bought anything in a mall was the day I got a new cell phone from Koodo, and that was pver six months ago.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:40 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
I never buy clothing in a mall, because none of the stores carry my size in shirts or pants. I have to shop at big/tall stores, and the ones in London are located well away from the malls. Most of what's on offer in the malls is grossly overpriced anyway in order to cover the excessive rents.

The last time I bought anything in a mall was the day I got a new cell phone from Koodo, and that was pver six months ago.
This is why you wait around for sales, like a vulture. But I find the pricing has more to do with branding than it does with rents.

I can get shirts and stuff fine in malls, but I have "freakishly long" legs, so I know your pain with the big & tall deal.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 12:13 AM
The Vomit Bag.

The Shitpicker, err, Northland Mall is renovating. New layout: http://www.20vic.com/retailpdf/Northland.pdf

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:07 AM

^ So it's basically becoming a plaza? I was in there last year and it was like absolutely nothing had been updated since 1966 (the doors, floor, etc).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:38 AM
The Vomit Bag.

yeah. Although the Vladivostok deli (or whatever it is called) will keep its '66 character. Actually I am kinda glad for that.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 4:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

historical info on Wellington Sq. and its bastard son, the Galleria: http://shoppingmallmuseum.blogspot.c...ellington.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 5:06 AM
The Vomit Bag.

historical info on Simpson's at Market Tower: http://londonfuse.ca/blog/market-tow...sons-christmas

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
historical info on Simpson's at Market Tower: http://londonfuse.ca/blog/market-tow...sons-christmas
Very nice find. I remember that time and place as a kid. I used to love the french fries at the Woolworth's cafeteria next door (but still in the same building). I also recall as a kid trying to run down the upward escalators to see if I could make it to the bottom (much to my mother's chagrin). And yes, the Christmas window decorations were very elaborate. People would come downtown just to see them.

It was a very different (and in many ways a better) time. All of that is now gone: Simpson's, Eaton's, London Life, Canada Trust, Kelvanator, GSW, Firestone, Ford, Kellog's, and many others. Globalization, free trade, and cheap telecommunication has really pounded mid-sized Ontario cities in the past 20 years. Now, they all must re-invent themselves or die. The challenge is immense.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 9:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^growing up in Montreal in the 70s, we used to go to the flagship Eaton's (downtown) for the Christmas window display (not to mention, the incredible toy display on the fifth floor). There was also Simpson's, Woolworth's, Kresge's, Morgan's/La Baie, Ogilvies, and a bunch of other department stores downtown. All gone, except for Ogilvies and La Baie.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jan 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 1:18 AM
User Registered

Westmount Mall before its partial demolition.

There used to be a beer store to the right of A&P as well (now Superking Asian grocery store).

Going way back, there also used to be a Shell gas station on the lower rightmost part of the parking lot.

Now the only part of the mall that exists is the section that has the two floors of underground parking beneth it. I used it over the weekend for the first time in years, was useful on a snowy day.

Some hate Westmount because its not very busy but I like that. Get my shopping done fast.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 1:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Yeah, I lived across the street from Wastemount mall in June 2005 - May 2006 (in one of the monolithic apt slabs). It was a good mall...at first. Rapidly slid downhill in the year we lived across the street. First, the liquor store and Shoppers Dog Fart abandoned the mall for big box barf pastures down south. Then the second storey started to fill with local craft/import retailers. Then they began leaving, and the vacancies soared. Then the foodcourt started bleeding tenants. Then the movie theatre closed. Then the beer store shut, also for the big box barf pasture at Southdale and Wonderbread. After we moved, they started hacking the mall apart, putting up boards with "Watch us Transform" teasers (with butterflies...you get the analogy). Then A&P left. It transformed into a ghost mall with some services on the top floor (still mostly unrented) and a shadow of a mall on the truncated first floor. I cannot understand why they amputated the food store and the $10 clothing retailer (which together form a strange micro-mall).

They can't seem to figure out what to do with the place. Try this, try that. Throwing jello at the wall, to see what may stick.

If Sears goes (which is almost certain, as the parent firm is on life support), and if Target goes (Target Canada is in big trouble so I reckon a cull of less profitable stores, thus a 50/50 chance of shuttering; greater still if Sears goes), the mall will completely die.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 1:49 PM

I don't see why they wouldn't try to integrate residential towers into that property and make it mixed use. There are apartments all over Westmount area so why not here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation