HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 1:06 AM

final #riders over the #bombers 35-30. That is the 10th straight Labour Day win in a row!!!!

https://twitter.com/TheRiderman63/st...32745391968256

GO RIDERS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 4:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
final #riders over the #bombers 35-30. That is the 10th straight Labour Day win in a row!!!!

https://twitter.com/TheRiderman63/st...32745391968256

GO RIDERS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Refereeing was a frickin joke, missed call when BB LB Wild was held at the goal line, Saskatchewan receiver 3 yards offside on the touchdown he scored, CFL really wanted the Riders to win that one badly!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Refereeing was a frickin joke, missed call when BB LB Wild was held at the goal line, Saskatchewan receiver 3 yards offside on the touchdown he scored, CFL really wanted the Riders to win that one badly!
And the 2 illegal blocks on the Punt return TD. C'mon man, they could call holding on every play!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
(((((rrskylar)))))))

VanRiderFan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:31 PM

Yesterday was not labor day.

Labor day game today! Go Stamps.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Yesterday was not labor day.

Labor day game today! Go Stamps.
That would be Labour Day. I have no clue what day you are talking about!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:25 AM

I'm a CFL fan but I haven't watched a single game this year (aside from highlights), for various reasons out of my control. People have suggested that, overall, the quality of play has been poor. Is this true or is it just a misconception?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'm a CFL fan but I haven't watched a single game this year (aside from highlights), for various reasons out of my control. People have suggested that, overall, the quality of play has been poor. Is this true or is it just a misconception?
It seems like it.....the defenses have seem to stepped it up, offences seem off for most teams at some point and the officiating has been HORRIBLE!! Too many flags and bad calls, looks like the change from Tom Higgins to Glen Johnston to lead the officiating has been a big step back

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 10:49 AM

It has often been said that there are so many football players (in the US particularly) that you could have several professional leagues. If one expansion team has this effect on the league then perhaps that's just not so.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
It seems like it.....the defenses have seem to stepped it up, offences seem off for most teams at some point and the officiating has been HORRIBLE!! Too many flags and bad calls, looks like the change from Tom Higgins to Glen Johnston to lead the officiating has been a big step back
Rule changes have not really helped in terms of the game's excitement level... video replay is becoming a monster that is killing the flow of the games. I'd rather have a few more botched calls than sit through an endless string of PI challenges.

There have been suspect moments of reffing, but that is really par for the course. It doesn't strike me as being any worse than usual this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
It has often been said that there are so many football players (in the US particularly) that you could have several professional leagues. If one expansion team has this effect on the league then perhaps that's just not so.
I highly doubt it is a question of one more team diluting the league's talent. Not many key players were lost to the Redblacks, and their own foibles are pretty typical of an expansion team.

But that said, this season's games have been a little off. Scoring is down and for whatever reason the exciting sustained offensive drives are less common. It's great that the defenses are playing so well but from a fan's standpoint it is less exciting to watch than the shootouts that the CFL has become known for.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:22 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Rule changes have not really helped in terms of the game's excitement level... video replay is becoming a monster that is killing the flow of the games. I'd rather have a few more botched calls than sit through an endless string of PI challenges.

There have been suspect moments of reffing, but that is really par for the course. It doesn't strike me as being any worse than usual this season.

I highly doubt it is a question of one more team diluting the league's talent. Not many key players were lost to the Redblacks, and their own foibles are pretty typical of an expansion team.

But that said, this season's games have been a little off. Scoring is down and for whatever reason the exciting sustained offensive drives are less common. It's great that the defenses are playing so well but from a fan's standpoint it is less exciting to watch than the shootouts that the CFL has become known for.
I'm also kind of hating the PI challenges. I think there is a place for them, but the system needs a big time tweak. I'd almost prefer it if the league just handled it and made the call if there is a blatant missed call; otherwise, game on as usual. Don't let coaches challenge because all it is now is a "last hope maybe there was something" type challenge.

As for the offence vs defence thing, generally there are ebbs and flows of which side of the ball is dominant. I remember a number of years back - maybe mid 2000s? - where defences were dominant as well, then offences pulled ahead for a while and now we're back to stronger defences this year.

Last edited by Nathan; Sep 2, 2014 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'm also kind of hating the PI challenges.
Me too.

The Eskimos got robbed on a big one in Calgary yesterday. There was no call, and the review after the challenge thought there was no interference on the play. But the defender clearly had the receiver wrapped up and was taking him down before the receiver had a chance to turn around and go back to play the ball.

And I agree that defenses have been incredibly dominant so far this year, but teams seem to be starting to figure them out.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:22 PM
Editor

Nice win by the Stamps

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:23 PM
Editor

The Stamps defence has been impressive for the most part..... 4th game in a row not allowing an offensive touchdown. Of course this is the CFL, and it all comes down to a game or two in November. This year's true grey cup will be hosted in either Calgary, Edmonton or Regina and feature two of those three teams......and anything can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Me too.

And I agree that defenses have been incredibly dominant so far this year, but teams seem to be starting to figure them out.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:08 PM

Anyone here go to the Opening of THF yesterday? just wondering how well put together everything was, especially since they rushed it.

Great game by the Stamps yesterday, did a great job of shutting Edmonton down in the second half. And the new uniforms looked pretty slick, people in the stands were talking about them all game.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 10:15 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Anyone here go to the Opening of THF yesterday? just wondering how well put together everything was, especially since they rushed it.
Below is what I wrote in the stadium thread. I'll add that while the unfinished parts were obvious, aside from the reduced capacity and limited concessions the only major thing they affected was entry to the stadium - the north entrances were not finished and not open, which meant a longer walk for anyone parked on that side of the stadium (but they did allow us to use those staircases to leave the game and had fenced off paths to the street). Other unfinished areas around the stadium were fenced too, and I didn't think they created any issues at all. Ditto for interior spaces which still needed wall cladding or ceilings that had visibly exposed cables and pipes. Many of the outer areas have been paved and were in the midst of being landscaped, so that won't take long to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I was really impressed by the stadium yesterday, despite the unfinished aspects. I sit on the west side, row 18 of the lower level near the 35 yard line. The view was terrific - a bit farther than my similar seat at IWS owing to the larger sideline and wider rows and the stands are a bit steeper but that made for a better viewing angle. Nice to have an actual seat and some legroom for a change. It felt a little weird too though... not used to seeing views out of the north and south ends vs. the old stadium's east and west.

The large plaza on the south end makes for a great entryway and gathering space. The concourse was quite crowded on the west side, but they had set up a temporary press box that cut into the space.

Lots of smaller things remain to be completed, but all in all this is a great place to watch a game. Say what you want about its curb-appeal, but the designers clearly ensured the fan experience was maximized for the money.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Great rivalry, great for the league

Apparently the game had ~1.14 million viewers on average which was the "highest rated game this year" (I'm assuming this means highest viewership of a CFL game thus far this season) and was the most watched LDC between the two clubs since '09

And overall labour day weekend had ~904k avg viewers per game which was the highest viewership since 2010

Great news both according to CFL PR (twitter.com/CFL_PR)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:14 AM
The New Republic

Attendance and viewership tend to go up Labour Day onwards too. Summer vacations are over and September/October is prime football weather.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:33 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
I believe those are all-dressed flavour, and they don't in fact taste like Dressler.
Does that mean you've tasted Dressler?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Me too.

The Eskimos got robbed on a big one in Calgary yesterday. There was no call, and the review after the challenge thought there was no interference on the play. But the defender clearly had the receiver wrapped up and was taking him down before the receiver had a chance to turn around and go back to play the ball.

It is obvious that, like myself, you don't know what constitutes interference and how they are calling them this year. Before this year, I thought refs just missed obvious calls. But with the PI challenges this year going un-penalized, I am learning that there is a lot more to it in deciding whether it is a penalty or not. One thing we are missing in these PI challenges is the meeting the refs have and what they think they saw before communicating with the office.

Last edited by Nudrock; Sep 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada