HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
In Toronto? You could walk around with a fuckin' dildo strapped to your head and no one would take a second look. We're cold because we don't care about people, not because we do.
I like this post, it adds an image to your response, which makes your reply that more effective in getting your point across.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Thats Longueuil though. I doubt you'd see something like this on the island though obviously there's intolerance everywhere.
Yeah, Longueuil, bastion of intolerance! ...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
Yeah, Longueuil, bastion of intolerance! ...
What? Thats not what I said, Shakespeare.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
What? Thats not what I said, Shakespeare.
I know that this is not what you said but you seem to think that this kind of thing is more likely to happen in Longueuil than anywhere on the Island... and I don't understand why someone would think that.

but we don't need to start an argument about that...It soooooo not important.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
.It soooooo not important.
Indeed.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 5:19 PM

Montreal is at 18 after a notorious local gangster was shut down.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...real-1.2725963

Reputed gang leader Ducarme Joseph fatally shot in Montreal

Reputed gang leader Ducarme Joseph was fatally shot in the Saint-Michel neighbourhood last night.

Joseph, 46, was found in the middle of a street around 10:15 p.m., near the corner of Saint-Michel Boulevard and Michel-Ange Street.

Police have called Ducarme Joseph the most dangerous street gang member in Montreal. (Montreal Police)

Officers and paramedics responded to the call, and Joseph was declared dead at the scene.

"Upon their arrival they found the body of a man in his 40s, with serious wounds to his upper body. We're talking about gunshot wounds," said Const. Francois Collard with the Montreal Police.

Collard said police have not made any arrests and have no suspects at this time.

Police analyst Stéphane Berthomet told Radio-Canada that more than one criminal organization could have reason to kill Joseph.

"All hypotheses are still open. There is the Mafia, the bikers, and other gangs. The possibilities are vast," said Berthomet.

Leader of Montreal gang: police

Police detectives have said Joseph is the leader of the 67 gang — named after a bus route in Montreal's Saint-Michel district — and affiliated with the Crips gang, also known as the Blues.

Montreal shop owner sentenced to jail
Joseph owned a high-end boutique on St-Jacques Street in Old Montreal.

Saint-Michel shooting
Officer and paramedics responded to a call at around 10:15 p.m., and Joseph was declared dead on site. (Radio-Canada )

In 2010, two men were killed and two others were injured after gunmen opened fire in the shop.

The shooting was believed to be a retaliation hit, linked to Montreal's criminal underworld.

Montreal shop owner arrested after slayings
Joseph wasn't injured in the 2010 shooting and escaped through the back door. His bodyguard, Peter Christopoulos, and store manager, Jean Gaston, were shot and killed in the attack.

Police considered Joseph a suspect in the December 2009 murder of Nick Rizzuto Jr., son of the deceased alleged godfather of the Montreal Mafia, Vito Rizzuto.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 8:34 PM

Calgary is at 23 now after a young woman was fatally shot whil hanging out with friends outside a bar. She appears to be an innocent bystander.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...739/story.html

There were 2 other incidents of gun play in the city this weekend too, sad to see so much violence in the city.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 8:42 PM

Certainly a complete anomaly, but the province of PEI is at 3 homicides this year after a killing in Charlottetown as well as a double homicide outside of Montague. Typically PEI can go years without recording any murders.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 10:49 PM
I am a typical

When local news reported that a dead body found in the north end might be another homicide, commenters on their Facebook page started cheering it on, almost as if they were hoping that we would break a record for total number of homicides in a year, referring to a potential 7th homicide as a "win".

This comes from the same city that, when firefighters were involved in a contract dispute with the city, many citizens called them "firesleepers", complained that they were lazy and useless and advocated firing them all.

This is also the city where taking away the right to vote from minorities and renters is openly talked about and advocated not just by random old men but by people who run for public office. One of them got more than 35% of the vote, in a race where the top five candidates get a seat. He came in seventh. He is also one of the city's largest slumlords, and the uncle of our famed Staal Brothers.

If any of you are wondering why I can be so cynical at times... I'm a product of my environment.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:35 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay has reached 8 homicides, a dead body was found in a golf course yesterday morning, in the general vicinity that a dead baby (which police did not record as a homicide) was found last spring. With this, Thunder Bay has broken its record for total number of homicides in a calendar year.

A local fringe candidate in our municipal election has said that if elected, she will establish a registry of "decent houses" and have police check on them regularly, every day of the year, to keep them safe. She will also force police to make life a "living hell" for "the worst criminals" (which she describes as "about 500 people, mostly Indians") until they leave the city; the list of which criminals are the worst will be decided by police, who—she asks us to trust her on this—have a "sixth sense about that kind of thing."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 4:10 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
two more for Calgary this week puts us at 25 for the year.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
wow whats happening down there. Edmonton usually leads that number. EPS web site only shows 11 so far this year.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:58 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
We've had a couple of high profile multiple murders which somewhat skew the numbers. That accounts for 8 of the total.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:24 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
What's going on up there, pretty troubling...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:04 PM
I am a typical

If Calgary had as many homicides per capita as Thunder Bay, they'd have 85.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
If Calgary had as many homicides per capita as Thunder Bay, they'd have 85.
Now you're going to get Chad after you for suggesting Calgary isn't up to scratch!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Now you're going to get Chad after you for suggesting Calgary isn't up to scratch!
Keep this kind of personal trolling/baiting bullshit in the parody thread, please. Totally unnecessary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:37 AM

Sorry to have offended.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
We've had a couple of high profile multiple murders which somewhat skew the numbers. That accounts for 8 of the total.
12 of them have been part of strange multiple murders: 5 in the Bermuda Shorts Day stabbing, the family of 3 that disappeared after their estate sale, the couple in their home in Lake Bonavista, and the domestic in the east end where that guy stabbed his wife and her friend. I guess the last one is unfortunately more typical than strange.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 2:49 AM
I am a typical

Most of Thunder Bay's homicides (and by most, I mean all but two) have involved First Nations people with substance abuse issues. Several of them have multiple accused. Just today, six people accused of second degree murder a few weeks ago appeared in court. A homicide that occurred in front of City Hall on Canada has three accused.

One of the non-First Nations murders was a man who stabbed his girlfriend's daughter to death and then got killed in a shootout with police.

Many remote First Nations lack police and jails, so they send troublemakers to Thunder Bay on one-way tickets, which is the main reason things like this have been happening. Eliminate homicides involving people not from here, and our rate is roughly the same as Calgary's. The problem has progressively gotten worse since 2008, which roughly coincides with the federal government tinkering with funding models in remote First Nations communities. The province finally expressed a commitment to work with the city but its not clear what that will look like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada