HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 7:05 AM

Posting a small update here as I went by today. I will be doing one of my big construction updates in early- to mid-September.

Nice to see the brick!
11 stories to go!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Thanks for the update! I'm liking things so far.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 9:47 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 11:12 PM
bro

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:15 AM

looks like they are starting the 16th floor so 9 and a half floors to go

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 2:13 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

The scale of this building is beginning to take shape. You can see it sticking out on York now, near the Beal football field. It also looks impressive from the Adelaide overpass. Plus, seeing 2 busy cranes in Old East is a welcome sight.

I'm still unsettled about the design though. I'm warming up to the brick, but I'm upset that the glass looks nothing like the renders.
Will we ever get some decent looking glass on residential buildings in this city?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 12:42 PM

I am going to reserve judgement on the glass until a bit more has went up...it's hard to tell how it's going to look until they really start to fill in the gaps.

Certainly as of right now the render looks like it has a lot more glass. Either way still going to be a great tower and much needed for the area.

Really hoping to see someone step up soon and build a 30+ all glass residential...question is who will do it first.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:48 PM
bro

Smile

Definitely agree with the scale being pretty sweet. You can see it from Colborne/King and Dundas/Wellington as well.

And it's true that we probably shouldn't be judging the building when so little of the cladding has been installed. It does kind of suck that we lost the blue glass to black glass, but the towers might end up looking great with the black for all we know. Has anyone taken a close enough look at the current construction to see if they are following the same design as the renders? Did they just decide to change the glass?

If the upper floors retain the same amount of glass as the renders I think they'll end up looking very sharp in black. Here's a quickie Photoshop I just did. If the glass is the only difference, maybe the towers will end up looking something like this:

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:04 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post

If the upper floors retain the same amount of glass as the renders I think they'll end up looking very sharp in black. Here's a quickie Photoshop I just did. If the glass is the only difference, maybe the towers will end up looking something like this:

Nice job on the Photoshop render! That certainly helps me to visualize what the end result will be. Of course it is too early to judge, but it's never too early to start worrying!

With the black glass, it will remind me of these sort of towers.

http://garyobrien.ca/?p=6896

When I want something more like this.

http://torontocondoinfo.wordpress.co...ondo-for-sale/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:50 PM
User Registered

This aired on CTV2 news yesterday. Talk about the new development opening this year as well as the ongoing transformation of Old East Village.

Video Link

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Thanks for posting that story, I wanted to see it but missed it last night. Glad to see the local media starting to take note of all the positive stuff happening around this area. The Crown on King towers should really get peoples attention, and get them to think about the area in a new way.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 12:20 AM

Just took a Google Street View spin of Old east. My goodness things have changed since the Google Van last pulled through that part of town. I can't imagine what it'll look like in the next few years after the mega developments are complete.

Any word on just when phase two of the Crown will get built? or if it's even guaranteed?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 1:51 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Chris View Post
Just took a Google Street View spin of Old east. My goodness things have changed since the Google Van last pulled through that part of town. I can't imagine what it'll look like in the next few years after the mega developments are complete.

Any word on just when phase two of the Crown will get built? or if it's even guaranteed?
Yes in just over two years Old East has changed (Streetview was in 2009). I shared the story to some of my folks, and they still cringe about Old East, thinking it's still a ghetto / crime area and will continue to stay away from it for years to come.

I've talked with one of the Old East BIA officials on multiple occasions and he seems to be quite pleased with how things are going, especially with the sluggish economy.

The Crown on King I will be topped out soon, set to open later this year. The Crown on King II has the site work nearly complete, and I expect construction to begin once the other building is done.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 2:10 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
This aired on CTV2 news yesterday. Talk about the new development opening this year as well as the ongoing transformation of Old East Village.

Video Link
Really quite amazing. I am still trying to understand how this is happening (if I was to build towers, this might be one of the last places I would consider). Either way, great news for this part of town. CTP gets more TV exposure!

I drove down Dundas East the other day, and the changes were palpable. Still a long way to go, but a massive step in the right direction seems to have been accomplished.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 2:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
ahhhh!! My eyes!!!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 5:04 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Really quite amazing. I am still trying to understand how this is happening (if I was to build towers, this might be one of the last places I would consider). Either way, great news for this part of town. CTP gets more TV exposure!

I drove down Dundas East the other day, and the changes were palpable. Still a long way to go, but a massive step in the right direction seems to have been accomplished.
Probably because the building costs are heavily subsidized to promote growth in the area. Downtown has a similar thing, but the Old East BIA is really pushing to fill the gaps and get things to change.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 1:49 AM
bro

Smile

Great video there. The Dundas strip is seen as the face of Old East, so it's been easy for people to say the area hasn't been positively changing over the years. However, if you spend some time walking through the neighbourhood to the north I think most people would be genuinely surprised. The majority of the houses have seen substantial renovations and would be right at home in Old South or Woodfield. The families that own property in Old East have spent years really trying to improve the area and the rest of London is finally taking notice.

I lived one block west of Adelaide for the first 18 years of my life, and also went to school at Beal. I'm very familiar with Old East and have watched it progress from basically one of the darkest areas of the city to a diamond in the rough. Once more people move into the neighbourhood and we start to see these yawning storefronts fill up, it'll only be a matter of time until Old East is virtually unrecognizable.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:38 PM

Has anybody passed by here recently. I'm wondering if they've started to add balcony glass yet....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
bro

Smile

No balcony glass yet. Anyone know what's going on with the building in the foreground of this first pic?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 1:45 AM

Nice photos! I like how you can see the reflection of the sun setting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates