HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
By the way, what is Calgary's problem? All the other CFL teams have been building/planning new, modern stadiums (or substantially renovating existing stadiums). Calgary has not even announced a medium/long term plan to move into the 21st century and improve the experience for its fans with an overdue new stadium. With the level of corporate wealth floating around in Calgary/Alberta, this seems inexcusable.

Am I wrong? Are there any concrete plans regarding a new Stampeders stadium?
Nothing concrete other then some upcoming band-aid renovations at McMahon.

Now that the Flames own the Stampeders there have been (unsubstantiated) rumours that they are looking at developing a hockey arena, football stadium and possible convention space in a complex on former industrial land west of downtown. Think of something along the lines LA Live. The Flames were planning on building a new arena closer to the current Saddledome location but things have gone quiet on that front ever since the acquisition of the Stamps, so there may be some truth to the rumour. It would be a massively expensive undertaking but it would certainly be nice to have.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 2:31 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 3:08 AM

Quote:
By the way, what is Calgary's problem? All the other CFL teams have been building/planning new, modern stadiums (or substantially renovating existing stadiums). Calgary has not even announced a medium/long term plan to move into the 21st century and improve the experience for its fans with an overdue new stadium. With the level of corporate wealth floating around in Calgary/Alberta, this seems inexcusable.

I do not think there has ever been a CFL football stadium built without public funding in Canada. Neither the feds nor the Alberta provincial government are in a position financially, nor are they politically inclined to pump tens of millions of dollars into a football stadium (Saskatchewan had the money and Manitoba had the political will). The most realistic proposition may be for some sort of PPP proposal to come forward as part of a new arena, residential and commercial development that would include a football stadium, similar to the redevelopment of Lansdown park in Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:24 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
The problem, I think, is that the new stadium will not be ready for the 2014 season. It seems highly implausible that in just 19 months the old stadium can be destroyed, the rubble cleared away, the earth excavated and a brand new stadium fully constructed. Unless someone can report that Ivor Wynne has been removed and excavation is well underway, then the official timeline seems totally fanciful. I think the Ti Cats fans are probably being completely bullshitted like the Winnipeg fans were.

So can anyone confirm the status of Ivor Wynne?
I've wondered this as well.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:29 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

I scratch my head about this often.
I hope there is a reward in the form of a beautiful new stadium after the long wait.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:29 PM

Yeah, Calgary has needed a new/updated stadium for a long time. In fact, it won't be too long before McMahon Stadium is the "New Ivor Wynne".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada