HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:41 PM

The ski season was huge
Big snows pushed Park City's three resorts to a record-breaking season

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_9614731?source=most_viewed

Park City, especially in the last decade, has emerged as a top-shelf domestic skiing and snowboarding destination, boosted by its Winter Olympic legacy and wide-ranging improvements at Park City Mountain Resort, Deer Valley Resort and The Canyons.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:42 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Initial Proscenium plans unveiled
Children's theater and performing arts high school among projects

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9643572

While I would like to see sandy become more urban. I just think the 30 story tower in Sandy could effect the demand for Class A in SLC a little bit. Obvioulsy DT SLC is still the core and always will be, but it could delay another new tower in SLC. I don't mind the idea of a childrens theater and the HS.

Then of course there is the large theater issue, and if you don't know how I feel about that then you must be new to the thread. Has anyone heard any additional information regarding the progress of the new theater in DT SLC.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:35 PM
Bring out the cranes...

"The plans will almost certainly change as developments such as hotels are built on the site, Sandy Community Development Director Mike Coulam said."

Looks like that would be the next phase for that stadium area is to have a few hotels. I hope these hotels will be taller the 5 stories.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:18 PM
加油

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
The county money that was given to RSL by the state was originally going to pay for a parking garage at the Expo Center. Instead, an additional 5,000 spaces are needed, but no new parking has been added anywhere in the area.

I don't think that anybody is going to want to park in an unpaved field to attend a major-league sporting event. I predict a parking nightmare come opening night. If I ever attend a game, I'll be riding TRAX.

According to the map, the parking lots will be spread out all over the place. So if you dont get there really early, you are going to have to walk a lot.

http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/articl...shipId=1988650

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 7:40 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyiliang View Post
According to the map, the parking lots will be spread out all over the place. So if you dont get there really early, you are going to have to walk a lot.

http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/articl...shipId=1988650

If I remember right there will be shuttle buses to pick people up from those lots and drop them off at the stadium.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

If I remember right there will be shuttle buses to pick people up from those lots and drop them off at the stadium.

Mark my words: Parking is going to be a disaster. After the first game, RSL officials are going to be scrambling to come up with something better because of all the complaints that they are going to get, both from fans and from neighbors. One of those lots is on the other side of I-15. Nobody is going to want to take a shuttle. You may as well park and ride TRAX.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 9:53 PM

Just got my first email update from the Market Station development! According to the email, their presentation center for the project will be completed in the fall. Phase I construction consisting of 282 condos will begin late summer of this year and they will be sending periodic updates.
We will have access to thier webcam for live shots!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 10:34 PM
Bring out the cranes...

^^^
Nice. Thanks for the update Leerjet.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:17 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

No offense to anyone that may currently live in S. Salt Lake, but Market Station could help make S. SL a very chic' city to live in.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:39 PM
Bring out the cranes...

It's about time....

Court: Hospital can evict strip club tenant
June 20th, 2008 @ 4:51pm

(KSL News) A hospital complex may finally be free of its strip club neighbor.

The Utah Supreme Court ruled that Intermountain Medical Center can evict Southern Exposure since the club broke its lease with late rent payments.

The hospital is looking at the land where Southern Exposure sits as future development. There's no word from either side on how quickly they'll react to today's ruling.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:40 PM

Yeah, I guess they're calling it 'SOSALA' now.. kind of a play of SoHo or something I guess.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:53 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerjet View Post

Yeah, I guess they're calling it 'SOSALA' now.. kind of a play of SoHo or something I guess.
That's actually pretty catchy. Watch out Sandy a serious new urban player has entered the ring. SOSALA Representin'!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 2:49 AM

Market Station

yeah SOSALA it is. I just got that same e-mal leerjet. Very cool! ... I can't wait until The areas from 2100 S. to DT are urbanized so we can start calling the 2100 S. area "Downtown" because it is and the 1300 S. area "Midtown" and the current DT area "Uptown" ...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
No offense to anyone that may currently live in S. Salt Lake, but Market Station could help make S. SL a very chic' city to live in.
South Salt Lake will definitely benefit greatly from the project, but from the standpoint of most any ordinary person, I think the project will be perceived to be in Salt Lake City. Not many people realize that South Salt Lake's borders extend to 2100 S. in this part of town. If the project is going to create 'spill-over', a fair amount of that could happen in SLC; I'm certainly hoping for that effect in my neighborhood, just a few blocks to the north. 'Spill-over' benefits for South Salt Lake may end abruptly at I-80 to the south.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
It's about time....

Court: Hospital can evict strip club tenant
June 20th, 2008 @ 4:51pm

(KSL News) A hospital complex may finally be free of its strip club neighbor.

The Utah Supreme Court ruled that Intermountain Medical Center can evict Southern Exposure since the club broke its lease with late rent payments.

The hospital is looking at the land where Southern Exposure sits as future development. There's no word from either side on how quickly they'll react to today's ruling.
Strip bar stripped of lease - high court ends 10-year fight over site owned by Intermountain Healthcare

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...236697,00.html

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 11:21 AM

Relocation and Expansion in the Boomin Wasatch Front

Cementation USA moving United States Headquarters to Salt Lake County

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...1,00.html?pg=1

- Cementation USA's move from Nevada will result in 422 new full-time jobs paying more than twice the county median wage...

- EBay looking to Salt Lake County for expansion and location of $334 million data storage center...

- Oracle building $285 million data center in West Jordan

- Frensenius USA looking toward third expansion in Ogden... an additional 500,000 square feet of space to existing operations... 1,111 additional jobs paying at least 50 percent above Weber County median wage...

Last edited by delts145; Jun 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 2:44 AM

Question Impressive!

Delts: Thanks for the post on Cementation and Oracle moves, and the expansion of Frensenius and Ebay. I've been thinking if this is a trend. I'm not sure. The companies are all dramatically different. Although Oracle and Ebay are building data centers, their core businesses are dramatically different.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if their is a unifying thread in this activity, something that would portend more relocations and expansions, like a highly skilled workforce in a particular area. That would be true for Oracle and Ebay, but not the other two. Maybe it's purely the economic incentives, but I doubt that since I read that Boise had promised Oracle the moon if they located there. I think Boise lost out because it is just too hard and time consuming to get in and out of Boise.

I guess if we could figure out what it is that drives companies to relocate or expand in certain areas, economic development would be a breeze. I used to think that is was all related to money. But with the development of the service economy we are in, the notion has grown stale. Service companies, like Oracle (Yes, I know Oracle does make products, but I also know most of Oracle's revenue comes from installation and support of these products, which is a service) depend primarily on attracting and keeping good employees. And I'm guessing that the ability to attract and keep employees is the primary reason where a company decides to locate or expand.

I am very interested in hearing other contributors opinions on what drives a company's decision to locate or expand, which is the essence of development.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 6:52 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

The reasons companies relocate or expand can vary extensively. The most interesting one that I think is simply because the CEO wants to. This reason is the only reason we know have the wonderful Well Fargo Tower. American Stores was headquartered in the east, Pennsylvania I believe, the CEO decided he wanted to move to Salt Lake so wham, bam, they moved and built a new headquarters.

Other factors related to managements desires can range from lifestyle choices, do they like to ski, do they enjoy attending theatrical, musical, or sporting events. While economic incentive are a major part, simple things like these can tip the scale to a city offering less of those amenities.

Often times it is monetary reason, such as incentives that were mentioned. Convenience of travel to and from, if it's the headquarter or simply a regional office. The ability of executive, buyers, and vendors to have easy access is often times critical. SL Int being a hub is huge factor, this is one of the many reasons cities fight to retain hubs when airlines merge.

While SLC is not a major city in the county or the world, people have heard of it and know where it is. And what is the image of that city, is it a city that the best a brightest in that industry would be willing to move to. No offense to Boise but I'm sure there are many people around the world, maybe in the country that either haven't heard of it or don't know exactly where it is.

Another reason can be logistical, where are the companies customers located and were are the suppliers located. Being at the crossroads of I-80 & I-15 and within a few hours of 84 and 70 can be important as well.

Workforce is huge! Is there enough people in the area to fill new jobs being created by a move or an expansion. Are these people trained and is there capacity for education and training in close proximity.

The reasons are numerous and that is why cities employ entire economic development departments, not only to develop incentives but to know all the random data that may be requested.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 1:29 PM

posting error.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 2:05 PM
加油

Future Mayor presents a lot of good points. But from my experience in the corporate world, most major corporations, incentives and tax breaks are the main reasons why companies will relocate. Take Boeing for example. They had it good in Seattle, but once their tax breaks were up, they went looking for a new city. Seattle offered some new ones but Chicago gave Boeing what they wanted. Although your view of a CEO moving a company because he/she wants to, I think this can be misleading. Some CEO’s might be able to do this but not the majority of them can because they have to answer to the board of directors and shareholders. And if they don’t agree with what the CEO has proposed to them, then they wont let the move happen. Just my 2 cents…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West