HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
...Could this be a case of the reality looks BETTER than the rendering?
Yes, I think so.

Inspite of what I think or what I like better, glass towers are something San Francisco has been deliberately avoiding for ages. Even with many of us on SSP liking the newer glassier towers better than the ones that are not so glassy, I still think many locals prefer the more traditional smaller window "San Francisco" look.

From San Francisco Chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 2:25 AM
BANNED

View, I'm personally no fan of the "glass box" either. I wish some of the buildings here had better crowns on them. Even in Dallas, most of the tall buildings seem to have some sort of post-modernist pointed top to them which most of our buildings lack. I don't know the reason but I've always assumed it had something to do with the FAR zoning/building calculations. In places like Mobile, they even seem to do outright efforts to copy 1930's skyscrapers and that may be going too far. But, yeah, send the flat-topped glass boxes away. Keep some of the glass, though; enough to relieve the sameness of beige masonry.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_Battle_House_Tower

Look familiar?

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 5:19 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Could this be a case of the reality looks BETTER than the rendering?
Definitely! It goes together really nicely with the next door neighbor as well.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 8:03 AM
Green Berniecrat

Just to add my two cents on what BT said, I do agree as well that the last project pictured looks better than its rendering. I think it looks more glazed, moreso than was anticipated.

As for building architecture, I've always been a fan of many different types. We here have been stuck with one kind for too long I feel. When I lived in Chicago, I'd sometimes go to Millenium Park to sit for a while and admire the many different types of skyscrapers I could see. Among my favorites are 2 Prudential Plaza and the Smurfit-Stone Building (aka Diamond Building). I'd love to see a couple of buildings like that here. Hopefully with this new wave of proposals, I'll see something like this rise.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:29 AM
BANNED

Speaking of interesting, there's 766 Harrison:

Rendering (Courtesy http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...of_766_ha.html )

Reality (Courtesy http://www.socketsite.com/ )

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:52 AM
Surrounded by Nature

It's so nice to have you back in town BT! These smaller buildings are going to change and enhance the City more than many people realize. I'm thrilled to see new styles with more color, shaping and excitement emerge here. That's exactly what Gavin wanted, remember?

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 5:34 AM
Green Berniecrat

What an interesting building. Looks like a huge board of tetris blocks stacked up

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:20 AM
BANNED

^^^It sort of reminds me of a mini version of this (what's billed as the world's first billion dollar private home--in Mumbai):

Source: http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/30/hom...lestate_2.html

But I do also think it's interesting that almost all these buildings I'm posting are 8 - 10 stories. Whereas the traditional San Francisco residential neighborhoods are mostly 2, 3 or, at most, 4 stories, the Tenderloin and parts of SOMA that aren't to be highrise are going to be pretty solidly 8 - 10 stories in the near future. We are, in fact, making the city progressively more dense one (or two) neighborhoods at a time. I think we should take it along the major Muni corridors--3rd St, Geary--next. It's already happening on Van Ness (once again, 8 - 10 stories mostly).

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:07 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Just to remind everyone, 766 Harrison is an SRO by Baumeister. They've been building tons of stuff this scale all around SOMA. Check out the link to 766 Harrison for more on it and their other properties.

I did an update on 766 Harrison back in January and thought they'd be a little further along by now. Maybe all those unusual shapes make the exterior work a little more time-consuming.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 5:34 PM
BANNED

pg, I'm going to quibble a bit with your characterization of this building as SRO. In my mind anyway, that means they are for rent and this building is for-sale studio condos. Secondly, "SRO" to me implies minimal kitchen facilities as in a hotel (maybe a microwave and/or two burner stove, under the counter fridge) whereas these studios have full kitchen and bath facilities and high-end finishes) natural stone bathtub surrounds, stainless steel kitchens etc). In fact, some of the finishes like in-floor radiant heating and full data wiring may account for the slower-than-you-expected progress.

I'm a huge advocate of new SROs in SF as a solution to the homeless problem, but no low income person is really going to be buying one of these units. Seems to me they are aimed more at young, single upwardly mobile types.

By the way, that web site you linked does have fascinating rendering and other info on their other properties. Don't worry--I won't post them all.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 5:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

You're right. I remember it being identified as an SRO many months ago, possibly on their website. But It's certainly not described that way now. Maybe I'm just thinking of another project. Anyhoo, it's definitely a good-looking building and a big improvement to that stretch of Harrison.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 5:03 AM
BANNED

More of the Argenta strip show on Socketsite and they have noted what we noted first: "much of Argenta's rendered glass seems to be missing (with the framing as foreshadowing) and was probably “value engineered” away."

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

I think this has to count as maybe the biggest disappointment in a tallish new building I can recall--worse even than the Intercontinental which, as I suspected it might, is growing on me.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 6:57 AM
Green Berniecrat

Well, I personally dont think Argenta looks THAT bad, its acceptable in my books. However, I will level with you that it looks nothing like it did in the renderings and that we were once again misled. Could they have changed the design without notification? I cant really see any other reasons as to why it looks so different.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 7:18 PM

i have to agree with rem, it doesnt look bad at all, it just doesnt look as good as they made it out to be. while i havent seen anything recently other than this shot where the building is shaded, i at least like the color that it appears to be. too often designers think that stucco has to be in some bright desert shade of tan, and it always looks out of place. theres nothing wrong with an understated grey-beige.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 5:52 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
i have to agree with rem, it doesnt look bad at all, it just doesnt look as good as they made it out to be. while i haven't seen anything recently other than this shot where the building is shaded, i at least like the color that it appears to be. too often designers think that stucco has to be in some bright desert shade of tan, and it always looks out of place. theres nothing wrong with an understated grey-beige.
Guys, remember that this building is almost literally in Civic Center, within easy sight of and overlooking monumental buildings. Any building has to be compared to the environment in which it is set. I don't agree with either of you--not looking that bad or bad at all is not good enough for where it is. Are we a world class city or not? Rem, if you put it in a comparable setting in Chicago, it would be greatly ridiculed. I agree with BT; it is the biggest disappointment of all.

BT, you are well aware that I've been no fan of the Intercontinental, but at least it shows color from up here, unlike 301 Mission (which is a building that I love).

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 6:05 AM

I agree it's a big disappointment...The rendering made it look real nice. Although short, it looked good. What we have here reminds me of some of the bland older stuff in SOMA.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 6:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Any building has to be compared to the environment in which it is set.
Unfortunately, though, it may have quite a lot in common with the 10th St side of the 10th & Market project across the street, if not with the glassy facade facing Market (assuming that survives the construction phase).

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 6:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Any building has to be compared to the environment in which it is set.
Unfortunately, though, it may have quite a lot in common with the 10th St side of the 10th & Market project across the street, if not with the glassy facade facing Market (assuming that survives the construction phase).

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...etails_an.html

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 9:00 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Guys, remember that this building is almost literally in Civic Center, within easy sight of and overlooking monumental buildings. Any building has to be compared to the environment in which it is set. I don't agree with either of you--not looking that bad or bad at all is not good enough for where it is. Are we a world class city or not? Rem, if you put it in a comparable setting in Chicago, it would be greatly ridiculed. I agree with BT; it is the biggest disappointment of all.

BT, you are well aware that I've been no fan of the Intercontinental, but at least it shows color from up here, unlike 301 Mission (which is a building that I love).
To be honest with you, I've never really been impressed with the buildings in that area anyways. Argenta really just adds to the "meh" type of crowding going on in some parts of town. Of course, I really only made an assumption, which I probably should not have done, knowing one side of the building. I still have yet to see the other sides that may or may not look better than what I've seen.

Chicago might be an unfair place to suit Argenta because they are just in another world when it comes to building beauty. And thats really one of our problems, until fairly recently. That we've been settling for mediocre architecture. Look at 10th and Market, its not an awful building, but its nothing special in terms of design either. Argenta is not a great looking building, but is it really much worse that other work in the area or work thats being planned? I dont think so, but thats just my opinion.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 11:43 PM

there is a huge red crane right near the waterfront? What project is it for?

photo from tango baby on flickr.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations