HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Permission to tear down this one building can hardly be considered as progress, seeing that it has almost been a given that the funeral home was a goner a old time ago.

I'd still say the chances of the current proposal being built are around 50/50.
This seems like an entirely speculative statement to me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 5:46 AM
build awesome buildings

It seems like 95% of statements here are speculative.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:42 PM

Oliver H. Bair Funeral home to be demolished

Read more here:
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/13/1...on-1911-walnut

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Oliver H. Bair Funeral home to be demolished

Read more here:
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/13/1...on-1911-walnut
Another victory over the NIMBYs.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I would not call this a victory. More like a necessary evil. It would have been better if this had been in better condition and there was a way to more feasibly preserve the facade (assuming you take what the developer says at face value). BUT, given where we are, I'm happy to see this proceed. Let's get the show on the road!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:39 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
CHEERS!!! Grape Nehi's for everyone!!!

-sb

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I would not call this a victory. More like a necessary evil. It would have been better if this had been in better condition and there was a way to more feasibly preserve the facade (assuming you take what the developer says at face value). BUT, given where we are, I'm happy to see this proceed. Let's get the show on the road!
Yeah! We'll be at the same place SLS is in no time!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Yeah! We'll be at the same place SLS is in no time!
Don't curse it...even in jest. As far as I know, this is at least fully financed and not asking for state or city aid.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:16 AM

Passed by this site today and it had vague signage from the developers, saying things like "We saved you a seat," "Just wait and see," etc.
The lot is really an eyesore and I really hope this fills that void.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:05 AM

It's a disgrace that this prime lot doesn't already contain the proposal - which I think is great looking for the site. I mean why wouldn't an investor jump on a lot at this location, where the return is almost guaranteed. If this was NYC, that building would already be 100% occupied.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
It's a disgrace that this prime lot doesn't already contain the proposal - which I think is great looking for the site. I mean why wouldn't an investor jump on a lot at this location, where the return is almost guaranteed. If this was NYC, that building would already be 100% occupied.
What's the disgrace? This is not going any slower than most proposals.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
We need to create a market that's strong enough before expecting things to happen quick. We can complain all we want about slow progress but the key to getting projects off the ground quickly is constant demand which is not always present here as much as some other cities. That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic for this to get off the ground sometime in the somewhat near future.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
We need to create a market that's strong enough before expecting things to happen quick. We can complain all we want about slow progress but the key to getting projects off the ground quickly is constant demand which is not always present here as much as some other cities. That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic for this to get off the ground sometime in the somewhat near future.
If this were 5 blocks in any direction, I may agree...but this is arguably the most desirable real estate the city has to offer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Also relevant is having a developer with a proven track record of success in similar projects, preferably local, who understand the politics and the players. No offense to Mr. Downey, but we have none of that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:10 PM

I don't see what the fuss is about. All major development projects take time. There's a lot of moving parts with design, financing, permits, zoning, contractors, etc. Even on the Square, even in NYC, these things take time to come together. Settle down, folks.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:03 PM

I do wish Philly would make the development approval process more streamlined.

Why do they have to go through the historical commission, Civic design review, Planning Commission AND Zoning Board? Why can't they present everything to all 4 commissions at once? All of this after going through multiple neighborhood meetings with the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood association, and the Center City Residents Association? These multiple neighborhood groups need to be combined.

Why is Civic Design Review and Historical Commissions not combined with the Planning Commission? It really is a lot of red-tape to jump through.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I don't see what the fuss is about. All major development projects take time. There's a lot of moving parts with design, financing, permits, zoning, contractors, etc. Even on the Square, even in NYC, these things take time to come together. Settle down, folks.
I think some of the apprehension is that many projects take all this time then don't end up getting off the ground ultimately. Not that that's necessarily the case here.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I do wish Philly would make the development approval process more streamlined.

Why do they have to go through the historical commission, Civic design review, Planning Commission AND Zoning Board? Why can't they present everything to all 4 commissions at once? All of this after going through multiple neighborhood meetings with the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood association, and the Center City Residents Association? These multiple neighborhood groups need to be combined.

Why is Civic Design Review and Historical Commissions not combined with the Planning Commission? It really is a lot of red-tape to jump through.
charter change created a consolidated department that contains all those functions. This was pushed by Clarke a couple years ago.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Take Time ?? 9+ Years since the 1st proposal (Castleway) and we still don't have a solid start date for arguably the most desirable site available in CC !! I'd like to see Scannapieco put his new uber rich tower here - and maybe he is. 40 High Ceiling Floors @ 1 Unit/Floor. That'd fit perfect here.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Take Time ?? 9+ Years since the 1st proposal (Castleway) and we still don't have a solid start date for arguably the most desirable site available in CC !! I'd like to see Scannapieco put his new uber rich tower here - and maybe he is. 40 High Ceiling Floors @ 1 Unit/Floor. That'd fit perfect here.
No, he isn't. There are a lot of case-specific and site-specific reasons for the delay as to this site that caused it to sit vacant for so long. It's not just the Philadelphia approval process. This time around, it hopefully is a go with Southern Land Co. And there is a strong likelihood of that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive