HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There has been talk in the past of doing something with the Met Life (Pan Am) building, but it's not coming down. I'm one of the few people who like it, as it stands proud and grand over Grand Central and Park Avenue.
-
Perhaps most regular New Yorker's don't like it, but then again, most New Yorkers seem to act like our skyscrapers are hardly there. Most skyscraper enthusiasts from the metro area seem to like it. I know I do. It's quite a unique building.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
The tower design is alright, its height and bulk are awesome, but I'm especially excited about proposed streetscape changes, like opening Vanderbilt Avenue's lower levels to spaces above.
The thing I'm most excited about as far as the street goes is closing part of the elevation around GC to traffic, creating another "High Line" park around it. It looks very doable from the presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Just looking again through these renders of what could be, I do find these concepts to be radical yet almost necessary. The designs may be questionable in some cases, however the big picture of what this transformation could mean for Midtown is extraordinary.
Well, it is time to think big again, not just in terms of skyscrapers, but also in terms of what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Either build a solid 2000 footer or something as awesome as those two towers with the ring. I'm spoiled now!
We know that SL Green has brought in Hines to help develop this tower from the ground up. Hines is behind one of the most exciting designs in recent years, the Torre Verre. That building was on par with the Empire State in terms of height. But if done right, they could exceed that here - in both design and height. With all of the attention being paid to the area and what will come of the changes, added to the extra scrutiny of design, we could be looking at a very impressive tower. Now, it's at least 5 years away from construction, but just the buzz it will create around the GC district could kick off a lot of things.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:43 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
SOM's proposal (the entire thing, with the plan for the station, the ring, the green spaces, as well as two skyscrapers) is possibly the coolest set of renderings i have ever seen

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 8:03 AM

SOM's ring vision, although unlikely to ever be constructed, would be an icon. You can make a nondescript 400 meter tower and ultimately few people outside the city will notice, but something like this would be known across the globe.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv3rted View Post
You can make a nondescript 400 meter tower and ultimately few people outside the city will notice, but something like this would be known across the globe.
The good thing is that none of these towers will be nondescript, at least in the Grand Central district where the architecture must be extraordinary to get the extra size and height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
New Yorker for life

I was gonna make one of these, but somebody beat me to it...

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/48564

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 12:40 AM
World Machine

Would be cool, no doubt about it. The only thing that would be more intriguing would be observing people's reactions on the street..

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 12:46 PM

i anm confused .... which tower of this two is the proposal and what is this ring in the middel of the buildings ????is it a safe proposal or is it a crazy vision from any architekt?

but this twin towers are looking very nice

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 7:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
is it a safe proposal or is it a crazy vision from any architekt?
It's from SOM. If you think they are crazy, so be it. But they do have a track record of designing large buildings.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 9:51 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
i anm confused .... which tower of this two is the proposal and what is this ring in the middel of the buildings ????is it a safe proposal or is it a crazy vision from any architekt?

but this twin towers are looking very nice
41 e42 is the tower on the left. The right side tower is currently the Hyatt which got horribly mutilated during a reclad, and also a candidate for redevelopment.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 12:22 PM

Thank you very much .....I didn t knew that it was proposed from SOM but the second tower is higher and next to the crysler building and i thought that you can t build higher than the icons

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 5:14 PM

I think the ring is an awesome idea! That might be great museum space type opprotunity or a food court or shopping space or sky garden or something like that. It's such a dramatic feauture from the air, totally defines the structure of the twin towers!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 3:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...912984168.html

Preservationists Fret Over Midtown Rezoning

November 19, 2012
By LANA BORTOLOT

Quote:
As owners and developers of office towers wait to see how New York City's proposed rezoning for the Grand Central Terminal area will play out, preservationists are sounding the alarm for buildings they fear may meet a wrecking ball. If approved next year, the new zoning could permit the construction of taller towers to replace buildings in Midtown East that the city planning office says are outdated and unable to meet demands of top tenants.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
-
I google-imaged most of the non-landmarks in that picture and I'd be sad to let pretty much any of them go.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 8:22 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
I google-imaged most of the non-landmarks in that picture and I'd be sad to let pretty much any of them go.
Indeed...hopefully nothing drastic will be done.
But isn't a major part of the rezoning form-based? I could imagine a smart way to go about this would be to require any proposals replacing an existing structure be "better" than what it would be replacing. Or incentivizing the redevelopment/modernization of older office complexes as opposed to just demolishing whatever they can get their hands on.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 9:38 PM

Can anyone send me a copy of this article. I tried to click on it, but it says you have to pay to read the artice. I am not from NY. Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 3:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
I'd be sad to see Midtown die because of some misguided preservation attempt. Let us not forget that even the older buildings weren't always there, and had preservation held sway even a hundred years ago, there would be no Midtown as we know it. This site in particular, next to one of the busiest transportation hubs, needs to be utilized to the fullest. It currently is not. New York is an actual functioning city, not a living postcard for us to look at and remember the good old days. So, the issue of keeping the core commercial district open for the needs of today's (as well as the future's) business must be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibo View Post

Can anyone send me a copy of this article. I tried to click on it, but it says you have to pay to read the artice. I am not from NY. Thank you.
There's a little more here...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=170

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 4:52 PM

Thank you NYguy.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 11:20 PM

Most of those non landmarks aren't that great looking. Would you rather New York be a city of the future or an art deco museum.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 12:44 AM
gettin' rich!

Wow, that looks like an amazing proposal. Takes New York to the next level, if that's even possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive