HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 2:24 AM

Clark & Barlow redevelopment. Is that intended to be a residential or office tower?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Clark & Barlow redevelopment. Is that intended to be a residential or office tower?
With all those balconies it's definitely residential.

Also that looks 1000 times better than the previous version.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:45 AM
The City

It's horrible.

Too tall, not enough parking, and it doesn't "fit in". It should look more like buildings in the neighborhood. More brick, more beige concrete.. also, it causes too much traffic. What will happen to my cat that likes to bask in the sun? What will happen to children when all those cars whiz by? We need more parking. It casts too many shadows. I'm outraged. Back to the drawing board...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quick question. Why the hell is there an Office Depot with parking lot in River North of all places!?!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
Quick question. Why the hell is there an Office Depot with parking lot in River North of all places!?!
It outlasted the CDW across the street.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Usually a walker myself, just stating how congested it will get. It will barely move and then the idiots who block the intersection will stop everyone from getting to the highway ramps....it will be CARMEGEDDON!!
Do they not have yellow boxes in the intersections in Chicago? Just give anyone that blocks an intersection a massive ticket.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:47 PM

Clark & Barlowe tower looks great. And they set the building back further against the alley instead of filling the lot line, which should assuage some of the NIMBY hysteria.

Now just let a Mariano's go in the base!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:10 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Do they not have yellow boxes in the intersections in Chicago? Just give anyone that blocks an intersection a massive ticket.
Nope, no yellow boxes, and Chicago police don't really do any traffic enforcement.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Clark & Barlowe tower looks great. And they set the building back further against the alley instead of filling the lot line, which should assuage some of the NIMBY hysteria.

Now just let a Mariano's go in the base!
In all seriousness, to me the biggest issue is the base. If that’s a massive, blank parking podium then I basically hate it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
In all seriousness, to me the biggest issue is the base. If that’s a massive, blank parking podium then I basically hate it.
On first glance it looked like Office space to me, but now I look at it - it'll probably be at least some parking. I am hoping though it's not, or at least only maybe half of it is. I guess the silver lining is that it looks like there could be at least *some* ground floor business/retail/commercial space.

Also, weren't there plans for that Office Depot? Would be pretty transformative for the corner to see both of these things be redeveloped into high rises.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:34 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
This area is growing so rapidly I would love to have those surface rail Metra tracks put in a trench and a half mile linear park constructed above, stretching from Racine to Halsted, lined with a mix of condos, apartments, and office buildings on both the north & south sides of the park. It just seems likely to become a very pedestrian heavy area and surface heavy rail tracks aren’t an ideal mix. Could the city, in exchange for approving developments lining the rail corridor, push developers to contribute funding for future construction of a rail trench and park development above? Maybe something similar to the park Boston developed downtown after the big dig moved the interstate underground. Park space is rather limited in this neighborhood anyway.
Honestly it would be cheaper to build an elevated viaduct with four tracks like Toronto is planning. There are plenty of design tricks to make the viaduct into a good neighbor, and the space below could be enclosed and rented to shops/retail, or left open for plazas.

Usually this would be a non-starter, but in this case, the rail line is already there and the area has very few residents to complain. (There’s also the existing viaduct on UP-W, which everyone seems to be okay with)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 3:58 AM

Hiltons at McCormick

Jan 27

From the McHugh FB page
Quote:
Major props to James McHugh Construction Co team, Great Lakes Stair and Steel, Imperial Construction and Atlas Cranes for safely executing the erection of the 145 foot long, 250,000 pound pedestrian bridge at the 123 East Cermak jobsite. The bridge will connect pedestrians from the Hiltons at McCormick Place to McCormick Place Convention and Event Center.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Nope, no yellow boxes, and Chicago police don't really do any traffic enforcement.
Well, there's your problem.

Make yellow boxes (or diagonal crossing lines or whatever). Stick cameras at intersections to snap photos of cars that stop in the intersection. Start sending out tickets.

You'll raise money in the near term, and improve traffic.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Well, there's your problem.

Make yellow boxes (or diagonal crossing lines or whatever). Stick cameras at intersections to snap photos of cars that stop in the intersection. Start sending out tickets.

You'll raise money in the near term, and improve traffic.

Traffic enforcement in Illinois is pathetic in general when compared to back east. Cars parked within 20 feet of intersections, cars making illegal right on reds, cars failing to properly signal a lane change (something you learn to do religiously unless you want to meet a State Trooper), cars stopped in intersections after the signal changes, etc.

Illinois drivers are just lazy.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Traffic enforcement in Illinois is pathetic in general when compared to back east. Cars parked within 20 feet of intersections, cars making illegal right on reds, cars failing to properly signal a lane change (something you learn to do religiously unless you want to meet a State Trooper), cars stopped in intersections after the signal changes, etc.

Illinois drivers are just lazy.
Amen. This only adds to the air of lawlessness in Chicago. Start enforcing the law.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:14 PM
The City

^ That's not laziness really. You see that kind of stuff in big cities all the time.

But my biggest pet peeve is delivery people who block alleys

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:52 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
cars stopped in intersections after the signal changes
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. These genius drivers block the intersection because they want SO BADLY to make that light, not realizing that if my street has a green, their street will have a red. Thus, my street cant move at all, and they are stuck waiting until the next light cycle anyway to proceed. SO WHAT WAS THE POINT OF BLOCKING CROSS TRAFFIC!?

Driving in Chicago will quickly make you lose faith in humanity. Take transit instead.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I have a source at Omni (Canadian developer behind the Atrium Village site) that informed me that they have possession of the Clark and Barlowe site (or soon will). Brininstool and Lynch behind the architecture.

Honestly I thought Reilly killed this one. Not seeing much online that would show that this thing is back from the dead. Wouldn't it have to go back through the PD song and dance before construction can begin?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Honestly I thought Reilly killed this one. Not seeing much online that would show that this thing is back from the dead. Wouldn't it have to go back through the PD song and dance before construction can begin?
There was a brand new rendering that seemed to alleviate some of the concerns Reilly had. No idea where it came from tho.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:42 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
There was a brand new rendering that seemed to alleviate some of the concerns Reilly had. No idea where it came from tho.
The new proposal will get approved.

Watch

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations