HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:04 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
dont see that ever happening. You don't see new rail lines run in urban areas for a reason. This route is likely very valuable and any diversion of trains around this area would probably add many hours to each trip. Which of course would cost CSX many millions per year.
no new lines would be needed. The high line would need to be double tracked and some new inter line connections made in south Philly and somewhere either in N or NW Philly.
There are/used to be Cities where all/most of the freight rail lines were owned and managed by some sortof co-op. Back in the day this was done to get rid of needless rail crossing and overlapping tracks, in other words it served the railroads first and foremost. But I'd like to see the same model used to help in different directions.
The State of Pa. paid to deepen tunnels and make other improvements to allow double stacked rail cars. If losing use of the east side rail lines costs CSX alittle extra in time----tough. Maybe if city council figured out how to tax freight trains running through CC the practice would end. Seems like the soda tax is having that effect for soda!
I come back to asking everyone to think what the park could be like without those dam tracks running tight up against Center City, and what the cost has been and will be to continue to keep them there. I know its not a over night fix, but if it could be made a goal then at least the costs could be counted.
Its very easy to pull up rail maps of Philly for any who are interested.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:54 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
no new lines would be needed. The high line would need to be double tracked and some new inter line connections made in south Philly and somewhere either in N or NW Philly.
There are/used to be Cities where all/most of the freight rail lines were owned and managed by some sortof co-op. Back in the day this was done to get rid of needless rail crossing and overlapping tracks, in other words it served the railroads first and foremost. But I'd like to see the same model used to help in different directions.
The State of Pa. paid to deepen tunnels and make other improvements to allow double stacked rail cars. If losing use of the east side rail lines costs CSX alittle extra in time----tough. Maybe if city council figured out how to tax freight trains running through CC the practice would end. Seems like the soda tax is having that effect for soda!
I come back to asking everyone to think what the park could be like without those dam tracks running tight up against Center City, and what the cost has been and will be to continue to keep them there. I know its not a over night fix, but if it could be made a goal then at least the costs could be counted.
Its very easy to pull up rail maps of Philly for any who are interested.
The High Line not being double-tracked isn't actually the problem here. A much bigger issue is that the structure itself probably needs to be rebuilt to handle two trains passing. CSX also maintains a yard down by Forgotten Bottom that it uses the east side line to access. There are a lot of interwoven issues going on; if it isn't one thing, it's another.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #223  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:10 PM
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The High Line not being double-tracked isn't actually the problem here. A much bigger issue is that the structure itself probably needs to be rebuilt to handle two trains passing. CSX also maintains a yard down by Forgotten Bottom that it uses the east side line to access. There are a lot of interwoven issues going on; if it isn't one thing, it's another.
The structure and original layout was and is 2 tracks, just one isn't used and has been torn up in most places
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 1:26 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The structure and original layout was and is 2 tracks, just one isn't used and has been torn up in most places
I've been watching that viaduct for a while. CSX periodically shifts the active track, I suppose to keep the overall wear on the viaduct even. It's the biggest reason why I think the problem is a weight one much more than a capacity one.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:29 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 443
Now back to regular programing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:50 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 228
PMC's Schuylkill-side towers come before city commission in step forward for project

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...permarket.html

Quote:
PMC Property Group is moving forward with its plan for a pair of residential towers along the Schuylkill’s eastern bank near Arch Street, with legislation to permit the proposal about to come before the Philadelphia Planning Commission.

The commission is scheduled to consider a bill Tuesday that would extend through 2020 a previously passed — and since lapsed — zoning change allowing the towers at the site. It also would permit above-ground parking to be built there, which PMC says is necessary because the site’s location on a flood plain makes an underground garage unfeasible.

PMC’s proposal calls for 32- and 28-story towers with 321 and 291 units, with space for retail tenants that are to include a large supermarket.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:09 AM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,219
Good news.

Not related, but wondering if anyone can tell me what work is being done on JFK Blvd in this vicinity?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:14 AM
wondertwinalpha wondertwinalpha is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

Not related, but wondering if anyone can tell me what work is being done on JFK Blvd in this vicinity?
They are redoing the viaducts over 21st, 22nd, & 23rd. They are also supposed to be building a stair/ramp combo with access from JFK @ 23rd down to 22nd street level on the north side of JFK.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #229  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:37 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,987
Very nice!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:16 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
They are redoing the viaducts over 21st, 22nd, & 23rd. They are also supposed to be building a stair/ramp combo with access from JFK @ 23rd down to 22nd street level on the north side of JFK.
yes and the next big project will be rebuilding the chestnut street bridge from 22nd st to 30th and the section over 76 which is called Schuykyll Ave. I believe. I would expect significant pedestrian and bike lane improvements from that project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #231  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:33 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 803
Hopefully that vote from city council can happen soon.

I know there is some things that could be done better with this project, but this empty lot has been there far too long. I think in the end these buildings will fit in nicely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #232  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:07 AM
El Duderino's Avatar
El Duderino El Duderino is online now
build awesome buildings
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 63
Hasn't been mentioned here yet, but the Inquirer article was updated and the extension was approved. Pending the yet-to-be-scheduled city council vote, hopefully we'll get a summer start (per the article).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #233  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:26 PM
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 144
Ok, I'm really confused.
Idk if this has been brought up, but on their official website, this is one of the renderings:

What is that thing in the top right, over the train tracks?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #234  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:20 PM
cafeguy cafeguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Ok, I'm really confused.
Idk if this has been brought up, but on their official website, this is one of the renderings:
What is that thing in the top right, over the train tracks?
This seems like a modified version of what they initially presented using air rights for the tracks. As for the building alignment, that's awful. Half your residents wouldn't have the ability to see any of the river. Pretty sure this is just one of the ideas they had floating around initially.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #235  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:27 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 879
I thouhgt this was the most recent version. See article and pics. Definitely better to building up for the views. More marketable and more money for each unit with view of city skyline or the river.

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/11/28/...mc-information
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #236  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:40 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Ok, I'm really confused.
Idk if this has been brought up, but on their official website, this is one of the renderings
Please, God, no. How about a link? I don't see Riverwalk at all on either PMC website that I visited (consumer or corporate).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #237  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:09 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Please, God, no. How about a link? I don't see Riverwalk at all on either PMC website that I visited (consumer or corporate).
Not that much more of info, but here you go:

http://corporate.pmcpropertygroup.co...ved-tweaks-pmc
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #238  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:12 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Not that much more of info, but here you go:

http://corporate.pmcpropertygroup.co...ved-tweaks-pmc
Thanks. I just went to this and the rendering is of the two towers that we're expecting. Maybe they goofed and updated it in the interim? Not sure where McGrath got his photo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #239  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:58 PM
Brandywine Rocks Brandywine Rocks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Personally not a fan of PMC's work but they seem to be to the one mid level company that actually gets things done in Philadlephia.

I like buildings designs with symmetry + adequate proportions. These look like they are about 30 stories tall and 2 stories wide. No good even at that they look like an improvement on their past work.





https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/qYM...c__Gensler.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #240  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:41 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 443
Damn, these look ugly. I don't understand the slight angle on the south building; maybe its trying to look like its in parallel with the SEPTA tracks. And the architect in usual architect speak talked about the "power of having twin buildings", such bullshit.
These are so cheap looking that they make "One Riverside" look like a real gift to the City!
All I can say is that they'll fit right in with the other junk that's been built over the years right there along the river.
Personally I would be more then ok with nothing being built there until a reasonable design was presented. It burns me when the City is so willing to hand out changes to the law regulating zoning and/or give variances and then asks for nothing in return. I would think that would the perfect time to try to cut a deal for better design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:09 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.