HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I wonder if Uber will be allowed to pick up and drop off passengers regardless of municipal boundaries. That would be very unfair to taxis that are restricted in that arena.
How are taxis restricted by municipal boundaries when Uber enters the market?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 9:07 PM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
How are taxis restricted by municipal boundaries when Uber enters the market?
Currently, taxis can only pick up in their 'home cities'. For example, if a taxi heads from Coquitlam to downtown Vancouver, they have to return to Coquitlam without picking up a new fare in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 9:49 PM

A very green policy....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
A very green policy....
Do you know if the boundary restriction is a municipal law or part of the provincial PTB?

Either way, it's ridiculous. Cabbies in Surrey would love to drive into Vancouver on a Friday night and pick up fares.

Although I have to wonder how much harder it would be to get a cab in Surrey on a Friday night, all else equal.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 10:35 PM

Fairly certain it's provincial. Whichever level of government it stems from it's an incredibly foolish policy.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Currently, taxis can only pick up in their 'home cities'. For example, if a taxi heads from Coquitlam to downtown Vancouver, they have to return to Coquitlam without picking up a new fare in Vancouver.
I thought that this had been relaxed, or at least an exemption had been introduced for Friday and Saturday nights. Am I misinformed?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I thought that this had been relaxed, or at least an exemption had been introduced for Friday and Saturday nights. Am I misinformed?
There was some weekend taxi project back in 2013.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Passenge...012/story.html

Vancouver City Council rejected additional weekend taxis from the suburbs in 2015:

Quote:
Over one hundred Vancouver taxi drivers who descended upon city hall Thursday night got the decision they were looking for.

After a four-and-a-half hour session, listening to cab drivers and cab takers, Vancouver city councillors have decided to hold off on allowing 38 suburban taxis to provide service in Vancouver on Friday and Saturday evenings.
http://www.news1130.com/2015/10/30/s...ers-cab-waits/

Last edited by jollyburger; Mar 14, 2017 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:59 AM
Make America Great Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I heard that as well. It shouldn't exist on any day or at any time. It's just foolish.

Taxi licensing, if it must exist, should be handled at the Metro Vancouver level.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:50 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not justifying it but the reason the rule is in place is so smaller cities don't get shafted. If all the suburban taxis were allowed to flood into downtown on the weekend. Imagine how impossible it would be to catch a taxi in say Cloverdale at 2am on a Saturday. The only solution would be to flood the market with unlimited licenses so that supply could equalize with demand.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Only in America. They can't control an American company from following local regulations but somehow their business dealings with Saudi Arabia is somehow some backward step for gender equality. If they are that backwards how can you allow any US company (Apple, Google) to have a presence there. But no, forget about human rights we have some moral war to win with Uber.

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/sta...50371661283328
I think you need to weigh the consequences of breaking the laws in regressive/regressing countries like Saudi Arabia, or the US. In Saudi Arabia, there are death or beatings-to-within-an-inch-of-death, or deadly prisons for breaking laws. Nobody is going to drive an Uber car in Saudi Arabia unless they have connections to keep them from landing in Jail. So no women are going to drive there.

But I've yet to have a female driver when taking Uber/Lyft in the US either. Breaking a law in the US is not an automatic death sentence, so the risk of breaking laws, especially those on discrimination is little more than a slap on the wrist. So if you drive an Uber car and are so racist or sexist that you won't pick up certain passengers based on their names, that's your prerogative.

As for Taxi zoning in Metro Vancouver. Obviously this was a solution for a time before cell phones. It should have been abandoned in the 90's when everyone stated having a cell phone and thus pickups could be dispatched in both directions to get driver back to their home zone.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure